Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30+ people offloaded from LAX-LHR flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Sliver,LH Senator,Emirates Platimium
I thought that the connection time was two hours LAX .How could the passenger got an 1.35 minutes connection ?
When i travel LAS-LAX-LHR i always put a 3 hours connection in LAX .
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can see why you say that, but my own view is that seems that you are possiblly taking the clause out of context: it modifies clause 2 (about check-in times) and relates back to clause 1 (scope). There are a number of reasons in the rest of regulations why airlines can legitimately deny boarding and they aren't superseded by the clause that you quoted. Most importantly that the operating airline is responsible for its own actions. If you took your reading to its logical conclusion, it would imply that all flight would have to be held, even across alliances, for as long as it takes. That definitely wouldn't be the correct reading of that clause.
^^^
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FromGVA
I thought that the connection time was two hours LAX .How could the passenger got an 1.35 minutes connection ?
When i travel LAS-LAX-LHR i always put a 3 hours connection in LAX .
It's 90 minutes AA to BA on domestic to international. And indeed 2 hours international to domestic, to allow for Immigration and Customs. Unless HBO / Global Entry, 3 hours is more sensible.

The advertised connection is do-able but it is tight here in any case, so those who connected in 30-40 minutes were doing well here.

Originally Posted by Nyghtwing
All I can say is that I am only going by what I've been told by a BA Duty Manager at LAX when I questioned why we weren't allowed to us the airside transfer bus anymore; we were allowed to in the past.
LAX used to provide more landside buses for specific tight connections but for security and safety reasons this has all been eliminated over the last decade or so. But I don't see BA requiring a rescreen - other than that the terminal layout forces it anyway - since LAX-LAS-LHR transfers [and many other combinations] can go airside without screening. If LAX-LAS-LHR is allowed, it wouldn't make sense to prohibit LAS-LAX-LHR. In any case, roll on the tunnel, which is both directions incidentally, and life will be easier for all concerned.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC HHonours SPG EK Skywards QFF VS flying club
It is good that the AA crew were very proactive and informative. That is not always the case so I guess the airport manager for AA/BA made a call based on their previous experience. Connections ex LHR also need to be taken into account for the remaining 400 or so pax onboard.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Lots of good points here. I think the salient facts are:

2) The BA flight was likely oversold. Only roughly 10 of 30 passengers made the gate on time, yet they seemed to completely run out of both economy and wtp seats, which I think is why I ended to up getting a CW seat. Had all 30 passengers made the gate, they would probably have had to deny boarding to some or upgrade many more to CW. CW was not full. I did not officially get upgraded to CW btw, I ended up getting 3 different boarding passes for this flight - none of which were for CW - but in the end I had no seat and cabin crew just shrugged and let me sit in CW.

3) The BA flight was actually delayed to 9.47pm from early that morning. I get an email with every change to the est. departure and this did not change again until about 8.50pm that night, when est departure went up to 9.56pm. Only at 9.20pm did it go back down to a 9.35pm departure.(it then went up again presumably because of us) They may not ever have taken this delay into account or maybe they felt the LAS flight was going to be too late regardless.

Sorry if I sound like I am beating up on AA/BA. BA staff were actually very good and seemed to handle the situation quite well in the circumstances. AA staff were trying to be helpful but we ended up getting such conflicting advice from cabin crew and then ground staff, that it made the whole thing feel very messy. My main criticism really is that imo we had enough time to make the connection and yet were offloaded without being given that chance. It felt like maybe someone had pulled the trigger a little prematurely, but then maybe 9 times out 10 in this situation, we would not have made it.

Yep, this matches my recollection. I was one of the first LAS passenger to arrive at the gate and yes they seemed to be boarding the last few stragglers. The fact though is that boarding was still open when we arrived at the gate so technically we arrived on time. BA staff initially said we would not be allowed on but I think they relented pretty quickly and I cannot really fault their handling in what were difficult circumstances.

I was not involved in any shouting or major kicking off btw....I just politely said that I felt it was unfair if I would not be allowed on given I had arrived on time. They then issued me a new BP without much disagreement. I think the main group of LAS passengers arrived after I boarded and that the discussions may have gotten more heated then. I was actually seated for about 20minutes before the rest of the LAS passengers started appearing.
I believe the BA flight was fully booked or very near capacity, not oversold. CW was left with several empty seats on both levels of the aeroplane (I was in CW upstairs, and my colleague in CW downstairs confirmed this). When those thirty or so transferring passengers were offloaded based on advice communicated by AA, it opened up space to onload standby passengers, wherein their standby hold bags would be loaded after the t-60 check-in deadline, but the flight was only at capacity in First, WTP, and WT to my knowledge.

I think you probably boarded before I did, but there was one lady in particular from the group that was clearly getting emotional (shouting and crying) when the group were told by the gate staff that they were offloaded. Several men in the party then started in with the staff, which is why I stayed to watch. It was only after the decision has been made by the gate Duty Manager to re-open the flight to accommodate the group (which occurred quite quickly if I'm honest), that I left to board.

I do have a question for you however? As I only tend to usually go by the BA app for flight timings, and I know the app posted an initial delay early in the day through to the early evening when the incoming flight went airborne from LHR. When the flight landed (earlier than estimated), the app soon reverted to an on-schedule departure time of 21:35. So I am curious to know what site you use that emails you to inform you of flight time changes. Could this have been compromised whilst you were in the air? That is, unless you paid to use AA's onboard wifi. Just curious.

Honestly though ... glad you made it.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended

Most importantly that the operating airline is responsible for its own actions.
I don't really want to get into an argument about EC261, but suffice it to say that the airline is also responsible for the sins of third parties in the area of denied boarding, in the sense that it must pay the compensation to the passenger, even if it is not at fault, then taking action to recover any losses.

To give an example, if the airline is carrying passengers for a tour operator, who overbooks the flight and IDB results, the airline still pays the compensation, even though they did not sell the excess tickets.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by springsdxb
It is good that the AA crew were very proactive and informative. That is not always the case so I guess the airport manager for AA/BA made a call based on their previous experience. Connections ex LHR also need to be taken into account for the remaining 400 or so pax onboard.
Whilst it is a 'good thing' that the cabin crew were being proactive, they were clearly misinforming the BA connecting passengers with incorrect advice (as witnessed by the passengers when they disembarked and were then told by AA ground staff that they would be overnighting in L.A.). I think the better course of action for AA in this case would have been to communicate via ACARS or whatever method they use to the AA ground team to verify what was being done to manage this situation. This way, the information would have been consistent, but hey ho. I think the cabin crew were going off of the assumption that the same airside transit procedure would apply as what they have in place with QF as a local agreement.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Tbase100
..It is clear that people who were transferred to another flight would be entitled to compensation by the operating carrier, even if ticketed by a third party airline.
How is that clear?

Those who made it to the gate during boarding were eventually let aboard and hence are not eligible for compensation. And those who did not make it were not IDBed ... they simply missed the connection.
AA cannot be held liable as it is not a community carrier.

I'd say this is an uphill battle if you'd want to claim 261 against BA.

And welcome to FT Tbase100 ^ .
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I believe the BA flight was fully booked or very near capacity, not oversold. CW was left with several empty seats on both levels of the aeroplane (I was in CW upstairs, and my colleague in CW downstairs confirmed this). When those thirty or so transferring passengers were offloaded based on advice communicated by AA, it opened up space to onload standby passengers, wherein their standby hold bags would be loaded after the t-60 check-in deadline, but the flight was only at capacity in First, WTP, and WT to my knowledge.
I was also in CW upstairs. I was surprised by how empty it was relative to the rest of the plane.

I think you probably boarded before I did, but there was one lady in particular from the group that was clearly getting emotional (shouting and crying) when the group were told by the gate staff that they were offloaded. Several men in the party then started in with the staff, which is why I stayed to watch. It was only after the decision has been made by the gate Duty Manager to re-open the flight to accommodate the group (which occurred quite quickly if I'm honest), that I left to board.
Yeah I missed that. When I arrived at the gate, only 2 others from my flight had already arrived and they were being told that the hotel voucher and next day boarding pass they had been given, meant that they could not board the flight. They were asking for a supervisor.

I spoke to a different gate agent and gently persuaded him to issue me with a new BP. I then boarded as the rest of the crowd was arriving so I missed the drama. If I was to guess though, I would say it was the young lady in a red jumper/hoody who had been quite upset and... fairly mouthy at the bus gate in T4 and also with the AA agent when we got off the LAS flight. As much as I do not really appreciate that kind of shouty behaviour, it did have the effect of getting some of us on the transfer bus and it sounds like it helped get them on the plane.

I was seated in economy for a good 10-15 mins before I saw the rest of the guys come on board so I am guessing it took a while for the supervisor to arrive? Or else maybe it took a while to re-assign seats to these people? Only at this point was I moved from economy.

I do have a question for you however? As I only tend to usually go by the BA app for flight timings, and I know the app posted an initial delay early in the day through to the early evening when the incoming flight went airborne from LHR. When the flight landed (earlier than estimated), the app soon reverted to an on-schedule departure time of 21:35. So I am curious to know what site you use that emails you to inform you of flight time changes. Could this have been compromised whilst you were in the air? That is, unless you paid to use AA's onboard wifi. Just curious.
I get emails from something called tripcase. It also gave me emails for the LAS-LAX flight delays which matched exactly what the departure screen was showing so I think it is fairly accurate but could not say for cetain if it was 100% accurate.

The timings in PST for which I received emails(the times they arrived in my gmail account, not when I read them):
13 April 2015 at 09:39 - BA flight 268 now scheduled to depart 9.47pm
13 April 2015 at 20:57 - BA flight 268 now scheduled to depart 9.56pm
13 April 2015 at 21:10 - BA flight 268 now scheduled to depart 9.46pm
13 April 2015 at 21:24 - BA flight 268 now scheduled to depart 9.35pm

Honestly though ... glad you made it.
Now I just hope my bag makes it... Still no contact from BA on that.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
What's not really mentioned is how good AA are at giving you your new boarding passes and vouchers for hotels as you leave the plane for these types of situation. They do this by making a judgement call while you are in the air then having everything ready for you when you land.

If they didn't then these 30 people could have been queuing for ages to be individually handled.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would have assumed that with a tight connection - although not insurmountable at 55m - the offloading would have been because the baggage can't be transferred in time.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ukgooner
What's not really mentioned is how good AA are at giving you your new boarding passes and vouchers for hotels as you leave the plane for these types of situation. They do this by making a judgement call while you are in the air then having everything ready for you when you land.

If they didn't then these 30 people could have been queuing for ages to be individually handled.
The irony is that one interpretation of the OP's complaint is that AA and BA were too quick and too good at doing this on this occasion.

If this group hadn't managed to (figuratively) push their way onto what it sounds like should have been a QF bus, AA's judgement call would probably have been entirely correct for all 30+ pax.

It just goes to show that when you're travelling, you can't always plan for every eventuality and you can't always secure the best possible result. Sometimes a lot will just depend on how the cookie crumbles.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If this group hadn't managed to (figuratively) push their way onto what it sounds like should have been a QF bus, AA's judgement call would probably have been entirely correct for all 30+ pax.
I'm not sure that the regular connection by exiting T4 and going through TBIT security would have taken much longer than taking the bus. We waited at least 10mins for the bus, it took 5 mins or so and then left us off at the far end of TBIT and we had to walk about 10mins to the gate.

I have not done T4 to TBIT connections landside before I cannot say with certainty but knowing how quick it is to exit T4 and how close the two terminals are to each other, I suspect at a quick pace and with no major security delays, it could have been quicker than the bus.. I do not know though if our BPs would have scanned at TBIT security since we had been offloaded?

The AA agents who gave us our rebooking documents did say we could try for the flight by going the standard landside route. She didn't dissuade us from trying - she only said we couldn't technically take the bus.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by porphyra
With the JB, things get a little more murky here as revenue (and presumably some costs) is shared to a large extent.
I'm sure the OW agreement deals with all of this. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of what the agreement stipulates in these cases. Generally though, it would be AA since their flight was late (but it probably depends on the reason why it was late -- weather, ATC, mechanical, etc.).

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 15, 2015 at 11:41 am Reason: repair quotation frame
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:14 am

Back in the day if you were flying Club or First on BA you would dream for the OP situation because BA would have flown you from LAX to JFK on a night flight to catch flight 001 to LHR which was Concorde. Those were the days and were fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.