Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

So what would happen if BA did this in their lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So what would happen if BA did this in their lounges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:29 pm

I love citing an 18,000$ F fare in the OP when I doubt that the vast majority of people posting in that thread ever paid even close to that.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I love citing an 18,000$ F fare in the OP when I doubt that the vast majority of people posting in that thread ever paid even close to that.
When a vendor sells something at a agreed upon price ( regardless of discounts, currency, awards,2-41- , ) which it also lists at $18000, then you are entitled to what it promises for $18000.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
When a vendor sells something at a agreed upon price ( regardless of discounts, currency, awards,2-41- , ) which it also lists at $18000, then you are entitled to what it promises for $18000.
It's not used on a contractual level - because technically the price paid has absolutely no bearing on whether you are allowed or not allowed to get hammered in a lounge. Establishments licensed to serve alcohol all have to follow the law on alcohol whether they serve discounted pints of lager or extravagantly expensive champagne.

It's used by the poster as part of some sort of "I deserve better because I paid so much!" moral complaint. But the reality is that the majority of people in those lounges haven't paid a whole lot, many in fact having paid nothing themselves. And it's a bit *rich* to use price point as a means to gain the moral high ground for your demand to get thoroughly wasted on your employer's dime.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Cut off after 3 drinks in 1¾ Hours - RSA Cited - MEL F/L

This thread should be retitled:

"Cut off after 3 drinks in 1¾ Hours - RSA Cited - MEL F/L"

The unreasonableness of such is basically what it's about ...
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
or - I dunno - maybe they were intoxicated despite protestations otherwise. The intoxicated person is not generally in a good postion to assess how their behavious is to other perople
And there we have it! You're damned if you are and damned if you are not.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Ensuring that customers do not become intoxicated is their job as is

Encourage customers courteously and diplomatically to drink within appropriate limits.
Recognise erratic drinking patterns as an early sign of possible intoxication and take appropriate action.
Politely decline requests for alcohol to be dispensed in a manner that is irresponsible , or which encourages the rapid or excessive consumption of alcohol , and advise customers of the reasons for the refusal.

That the response that the complaint to qantas came back with comfirmed that the staff were acting in accordance to the airline's policy seems that to suggest that it they did their job
Excuse me - I'm really not into taking advantage of the open bar in an airport lounge usually as I stick to mineral water, etc. but even fore me this sounds a little bit far stretched - keeping people below the driving limit is not at all the point of RSA. If your read the linked thread, NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing states that RSA focuses on harm minimisation and customers drinking responsibly.

In which world are we living today? Where is one's own responsability? I must really go back a long time to remember an intoxinated person in a lounge - it's not an everydays problem. If you do apply this RSA logic, most passengers in the CCR or the GF would be "dry" after a short time based on my last vists there and seeing how the champagne bar is frequented And we all know how many top-ups of G+T are possible on a European flight and the crew is happily offering it, on my last LHR-ZRH flight, the passenger next to me in 1F had 3 refills in an hour...

I don't drink on my CE flights because I have to drive - I am responsible! This is even when being offered more booze during the flight or when the bar is open in the lounge - I am responsible for myself and my safety.

And just to be clear: if someone is intoxinated, he/she should not be served! Period. But following a "health & safety" (a la compliance) approach is a little bit far stretched IMHO. The next time you won't get served a burger in the CCR/GF as this has been the fifth time in the week passing through and to prevent obesity the staff suggests a salad instead! And to keep in mind, one reason for RSA being in place is also to mitigate liability during a lawsuit involving intoxication by providing evidence of intent on the part of the establishment that serves and sells alcoholic beverages - a "reasonable efforts defense."
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
In which world are we living today? Where is one's own responsability?
This sums up the situation perfectly.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
It's not used on a contractual level - because technically the price paid has absolutely no bearing on whether you are allowed or not allowed to get hammered in a lounge. Establishments licensed to serve alcohol all have to follow the law on alcohol whether they serve discounted pints of lager or extravagantly expensive champagne.

It's used by the poster as part of some sort of "I deserve better because I paid so much!" moral complaint. But the reality is that the majority of people in those lounges haven't paid a whole lot, many in fact having paid nothing themselves. And it's a bit *rich* to use price point as a means to gain the moral high ground for your demand to get thoroughly wasted on your employer's dime.
Cannot debate finer points of contracts & torts.
It is a rare gift when one can say with authority when someone else writes and one ascribes the motives. If most people did not pay $ 18000, then maybe they are jealous that person X can ?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:39 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Australians are renowned for their hard drinking,
I recall when I was QF Plat a few years back, I was given a hard booze voucher at ORD T3 Admirals Club at 6 am

PS. I am not from Australia and I do even have an Australian accent...
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by trolleymusic
^ +1 - and I say that as Australian who's been living in the UK for 7 years.
Aaah, expats.

You'd be almost as in touch with 21st century Australia as Germaine Greer and Kathy Lette are then...
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
To answer the OP's question, there would be a lot of huffing and puffing on here to start with (never flying with BA again, CX won't ever do this etc.), tailing off to a residual protracted whinge with occasional added jibes. After about 2 years, all will be forgotten and it will be business as usual. The older members here will be free however to tell tales of what it was like before the changes.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If BA did that, well, I'm sure no-one on BA forum would complain
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by SandA4Eva
You really should read the linked thread. Keeping people legally sober is not RSA. Keeping people legally sober is so far removed from intoxicated it is laughable to even suggest this has something to do with RSA. Enforcing this as a fixed airline policy that applies to all people regardless does in fact ignore RSA which is supposed to be about the individual patron.
Actually, following the strict letter of the RSA, it is an offence to serve someone who is intoxicated. While you seem to think intoxicated means collapsing on the floor in a dishevelled state, it actually means "someone whose speech, balance, co-ordination or behaviour is noticeably affected" - even being tipsy would technically qualify.

Given the scary consequences for breaching these regulations (I have previously been licensed under the RSA scheme), I hardly think erring on the side of caution is beyond the limits of reason. That's also why when I worked in a UK supermarket I ended up checking the ID's of a handful of people who turned out to be in the 30's - yes it may be incredibly unlikely that they're under-age, but I'm not going to risk a criminal record over it.

That being said, I'd be more inclined to believe that this was a cost-cutting measure more than anything.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Aaah, expats.

You'd be almost as in touch with 21st century Australia as Germaine Greer and Kathy Lette are then...
Ha ha - I do go back often for big chunks of time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.