Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

So what would happen if BA did this in their lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So what would happen if BA did this in their lounges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
Reading between the lines here it looks as if there may have been a restriction on drinks to those accessing the F lounge via el-cheapo domestic tag flights on JQ, no such restriction on those actually flying QF/OW internationally.
How this would translate at LHR is anyone's guess. It might be QF's idea of establishing a caste system
I flew JQ SYD-MEL with my parents (who are WP) last year from the international terminal and definitely had more than 3 drinks in 1.75 hours (including multiple glasses of the sensational De Bortoli Noble One) and no one batted an eyelid. Are F&B staff able to discern the difference
between those pax aforementioned and those on QF F etc.? I've always wondered that.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by perthflyer
I flew JQ SYD-MEL with my parents (who are WP) last year from the international terminal and definitely had more than 3 drinks in 1.75 hours (including multiple glasses of the sensational De Bortoli Noble One) and no one batted an eyelid. Are F&B staff able to discern the difference
between those pax aforementioned and those on QF F etc.? I've always wondered that.
Yes, in the incidences discussed in the thread people were asked what flight they were on whilst ordering in the MEL F Lounge. It's a fairly common occurrence to be asked this at MEL IME.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Originally Posted by SCSA
Australia is the most regulated western country I've ever stepped foot in. If the English love rules, the Aussies love regulations. Their regulations surrounding booze are myriad and strict. So this sounds very plausible.
1st part is correct - take a look at the plain packaging "Cancer Stick" laws.

2nd part not so. It appears to be related to domestic LCC access to the FCL.

Not many complainers on either front.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Wow! au frq whiner forum whining that staff serving drinks were actually doing their job and not just sticking RSA flyers on the wall
Ah yes. Doing their job of serving drinks etc by NOT serving drinks.

Do click through the link supplied old chum and you might find out what RSA in Australia actually means. Maybe if the staff posted some RSA flyers on the wall, they might read a few and be informed.

Can I send one your way?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:25 am

Wow! au frq whiner forum whining that staff serving drinks were actually doing their job and not just sticking RSA flyers on the wall
Did you read the linked thread at all? Since when is RSA required to make sure people are legally allowed to operate a motor vehicle at all times? What is really happening is that the staff are ignoring their RSA training.

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Only ready a few of the posts, but did enjoy the competitive nature of them saying how much they normally drink in (and sometimes out of) the lounge. My favourite was:
Shame you've taken that quote out of context and completely misrepresented the point. It certainly wasn't about competition.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:32 pm

Australia is the most regulated western country I've ever stepped foot in. If the English love rules, the Aussies love regulations. Their regulations surrounding booze are myriad and strict. So this sounds very plausible.
^ +1 - and I say that as Australian who's been living in the UK for 7 years.

Last edited by trolleymusic; Mar 13, 2015 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by SandA4Eva

Shame you've taken that quote out of context and completely misrepresented the point. It certainly wasn't about competition.
And a shame you didn't appear to read the first post of this thread:

Originally Posted by wtcmor
Am a short time lurker to the BA forum as I have 2 flights in F in May.
Given some of the funny things I have read on here, I thought it might be a bit of fun to post a link to this thread. For those that are now aware Sydney F lounge and Melbourne F lounge are for OW Emeralds and those travelling in First Class ( so a little more generous that CCR admission requirements) You only need to read the first post as it nicely sums up the issue, the rest of the posts are outrage and comments re male vs female metabolism.
So what would happen if BA F/CCR lounges only let you have 3 drinks.....
Nevertheless, welcome to FT, SandA4Eva, perhaps you will stay around on the BAEC board to learn as I have that not everything here is meant to be taken too seriously...have a good day.

Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, guess I'll be careful when I go down under.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RooFlyer
Ah yes. Doing their job of serving drinks etc by NOT serving drinks.
Ensuring that customers do not become intoxicated is their job as is

Encourage customers courteously and diplomatically to drink within appropriate limits.
Recognise erratic drinking patterns as an early sign of possible intoxication and take appropriate action.
Politely decline requests for alcohol to be dispensed in a manner that is irresponsible , or which encourages the rapid or excessive consumption of alcohol , and advise customers of the reasons for the refusal.

That the response that the complaint to qantas came back with comfirmed that the staff were acting in accordance to the airline's policy seems that to suggest that it they did their job
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:26 pm

Encourage customers courteously and diplomatically to drink within appropriate limits.
Recognise erratic drinking patterns as an early sign of possible intoxication and take appropriate action.
Politely decline requests for alcohol to be dispensed in a manner that is irresponsible , or which encourages the rapid or excessive consumption of alcohol , and advise customers of the reasons for the refusal.

That the response that the complaint to qantas came back with comfirmed that the staff were acting in accordance to the airline's policy seems that to suggest that it they did their job
You really should read the linked thread. Keeping people legally sober is not RSA. Keeping people legally sober is so far removed from intoxicated it is laughable to even suggest this has something to do with RSA. Enforcing this as a fixed airline policy that applies to all people regardless does in fact ignore RSA which is supposed to be about the individual patron.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;

I agree! Anyone who has a single alcoholic drink is on their way to intoxication. So any place serving alcohol can obviously ensure that customers do not go down the slippery slope of being intoxicated ... by not serving ANY drinks!

Way to go! And so much cheaper too. @:-)

And none of the list you quote applies in the context of the OP's circumstances in the AFF thread. Sitting and talking amongst themselves, with water to hand, not displaying the least indication of being intoxicated. The reason given was RSA/driving which was simply a misapplication and a mis understanding of RSA by the lounge staff.

And again, if you had read the thread you commented on, you would see the argument that QF was supporting their staff in the application of 'policy' is unravelling.

The fact that this doesn't happen to everyone visiting the QF MEL F lounge and daring to have more than the 'prescribed' number of drinks - let alone the other F lounges where it appears to occur only very, very rarely - shows that there is no uniform application of such 'policy' by QF or Accor. Again, the AFF thread gives some good indications of what may have been in play here.

And QF to their credit are having another look at the situation. Accor run these lounges and are not doing QF many favours at the moment.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Urgh I think I need a strong drink after this thread
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree! Anyone who has a single alcoholic drink is on their way to intoxication. So any place serving alcohol can obviously ensure that customers do not go down the slippery slope of being intoxicated ... by not serving ANY drinks!
Wouldn't get any complaints from me - might also encourage Qantas to improve the offering of its soft drinks in its lounges

And none of the list you quote applies in the context of the OP's circumstances in the AFF thread. Sitting and talking amongst themselves, with water to hand, not displaying the least indication of being intoxicated. The reason given was RSA/driving which was simply a misapplication and a mis understanding of RSA by the lounge staff.
or - I dunno - maybe they were intoxicated despite protestations otherwise. The intoxicated person is not generally in a good postion to assess how their behavious is to other perople
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
If this thread continues, it just might give other airlines to introduce a new " enhancement" for your travel safety and enjoyment !

Wonder when someone will sue an airline for delaying a flight because of an unruly intoxicated pax whose only source of alcohol that day was the lounge and on board bar service !
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
Wonder when someone will sue an airline for delaying a flight because of an unruly intoxicated pax whose only source of alcohol that day was the lounge and on board bar service !
That would infuriate me as one of the delayed pix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.