Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does BA ever penalise throwaway ticketing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Does BA ever penalise throwaway ticketing?

Does anyone know if BA has an official policy / t&cs regarding "hidden city ticketing"?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AceofClubs
Does anyone know if BA has an official policy / t&cs regarding "hidden city ticketing"?
Have you tried reading the T&Cs yourself?

Further sectors on the ticket will be cancelled. That's all.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:08 am

What if, for example, you have an exDUB ticket but actually want to return to Manchester. You throw away the last leg back to Dublin but have a separate LHR-MAN (or wherever else) ticket for the same time, making it plainly obvious you never intended to board the LHR-DUB sector?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gingeola
What if, for example, you have an exDUB ticket but actually want to return to Manchester. You throw away the last leg back to Dublin but have a separate LHR-MAN (or wherever else) ticket for the same time, making it plainly obvious you never intended to board the LHR-DUB sector?
What about it?

Even if BA noticed, which you'll agree is quite unlikely if you have ever used one of their IT products, BA has no remedy against you in this situation.

You have two separate, unrelated contracts of carriage. Your apparent intention to breach one does not give BA the right to breach the other.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I am currently pondering something very similar for an ex-HEL trip I'm planning - a single to HEL is looking pretty expensive on our dates, while a return is better value. However, this means that we would have a flight to HEL one evening with a return booked for a future date (which we may unfortunately miss), followed by a HEL-LHR-LCY-JFK-LAX etc (or similar) ticket the next day, which will eventually include a final leg back to the European mainland that we may also unfortunately miss.

I'm usually blas about the final leg of an ex-EU itinerary, but I'm a bit more concerned about missing it in connection with missing the return leg of the LHR-HEL-LHR flight too... Seems like that's tempting some flags to be flagged - or am I just over-thinking it?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is telling that the BA COC, unlike those of many other carriers, does not contain a provision which permits the carrier to invalidate any ticket purchased without an intent to fly as ticketed.

In the fact pattern described in this thread, a carrier could infer that a passenger holding multiple tickets which are "impossible" to fly, has violated such a provision. BA does not have such a provision in its COC. AA, to give a OW example, does use fairly sophisticated software to locate separate tickets which are "impossible".
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
They can suspend your BAEC account (which freezes your entire Avios balance) and subject you to an audit.

Its never been clear to me what happens as a result of that audit.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
Have you tried reading the T&Cs yourself?

Further sectors on the ticket will be cancelled. That's all.
Thanks for the response. I have read BA's terms of carriage but couldn't find anything specific at all.
I know other OW airlines have policies in place for these types of tickets (throwaway/hiddencitY) - AA, UA.

And I have heard of people having thier BA account suspended pending an "audit" (what ever that means) but like KenJohn said theres not much info on outcome of these audits. I'm not quite sure how they could penalise you if theres been no breach of their carriage terms?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

And I have heard of people having thier BA account suspended pending an "audit" (what ever that means) but like KenJohn said theres not much info on outcome of these audits. I'm not quite sure how they could penalise you if theres been no breach of their carriage terms?
Exactly!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm not quite sure how they could penalise you if theres been no breach of their carriage terms?
There was once (but IIRC only once) a report here from someone who'd thrown away a lot of final sectors of ex-EUs, and who was contacted by BA. He was told that if he didn't fly the final sectors, they'd take further action - I can't now remember whether that was specified, or if so, what it was. I think that he said he didn't know that he wasn't supposed to throw away the final sectors, and agreed to fly them - and that was the end of that.

Reports of anything being done specifically as a result of this are few and far between, hence the general confidence that if you only do it occasionally, nothing will come of it. After all, people's plans do sometimes change, and BA has got bigger fish to fry than to hassle everyone who may have a genuine reason arising out of changed plans for not using all of the ticket that they originally booked. No doubt BA would normally prefer to spend its resources chasing outright and expensive fraud than to get into messy legal arguments about whether you're entitled to drop the last sector without any recourse from the airline.

But, as in so many of these things, there is an old aviation saying that is useful: Try not to fly close to the edges of the air. Bad things have been known to happen there.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not quite sure how they could penalise you if theres been no breach of their carriage terms?
It is a breach of the carriage terms. [http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ns-of-carriage part 3C]

You agree to fly the entire journey using all the flight coupons in the correct order.

However, the contract does not specify a remedy for breach, beyond repricing if you wish to continue your journey.

BAEC may, if they have time on their hands, decide to close your account, as they are entitled without reason in the BAEC terms. However, I suspect they have bigger fish to fry than someone missing a DUB sector.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
It is a breach of the carriage terms. [http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ns-of-carriage part 3C]

You agree to fly the entire journey using all the flight coupons in the correct order.

However, the contract does not specify a remedy for breach, beyond repricing if you wish to continue your journey.

BAEC may, if they have time on their hands, decide to close your account, as they are entitled without reason in the BAEC terms. However, I suspect they have bigger fish to fry than someone missing a DUB sector.
indeed. Thanks for pointing that out.

This is interesting:
3c9) If you cancel a booking before the check-in deadline for your flight, we will not cancel your return or onward reservations.

So for example if you book BUD-LHR-NRT and call to cancel the BUD flight you can still use the LHR-NRT???
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes, subject to a reprice
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TAP Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Miles and More
Ultimately you are still a customer that takes advantage of options you have in a free market. Freezing your BAEC account will likely make you a non-customer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.