Wiki Posts
Search

BA to IST - Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
CE only
Thats a shame. I'm passing through IST in a few weeks. I guess i'll have to line up with the jihadis. At least CE does still have some perks!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I found the public transport and the Istanbulkart to be quite usable for getting from the airport. I only took taxis to and from my hotel near the airport, because there is not a lot of public transport around the airport area, it is focused on getting from the airport to nearer Bosphorus area.

In Istanbul I found it seemed mostly hassle-free and not overly crowded - it's a big city with a lot of people, but the streets were not packed with people and hard to get around.

I recommend a visit to the Grand Bazaar. There you will be tangling with people who have 500 years of accumulated practice at separating tourists from their money. They are very engaging in conversation and do have some good things to sell, and are generally polite, but if they are causing you stress, just walk away. They will not leave their pitch, so will not follow you, and if you walk in the middle of the passageways, you are mostly out of their selling range and can look around.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I agree that public transport is a good way to get into the city. I think Istanbul must have more ATMs per sq km than any other place in the world, banks are everywhere!
A great trip we took was a boat to the mouth of the Bosphorus. It is incredibly beautiful with wonderful villas along the banks, and a great view of the Black Sea when you climb to the top of the hill to a castle which may or may not be open. Also recommend eating at one of the stalls in the fish market which is to be found on the north side of the Galata Bridge.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Make sure you have a printout of your e-visa.
Am I the only who thinks this is bonkers?!

My interaction with IST immigration last week went something as follows:

"Where is your visa?"
"It's electronic."
"May I see it?"
"Erm, it's electronic? Maybe I can fish out the email, give me a couple of minutes..."
"Oh don't worry I can see it here (points to his computer)"

...? What is the point in asking for a printout of an e-visa, that's visible to them anyway?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Duty free is available on arrival
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer

"Where is your visa?"
"It's electronic."
"May I see it?"
"Erm, it's electronic? Maybe I can fish out the email, give me a couple of minutes..."

...? What is the point in asking for a printout of an e-visa, that's visible to them anyway?
I think because they are supposed to stamp something tangible.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Where is your visa?"
"It's electronic."
"May I see it?"

Welcome to Turkish bureaucracy. Where nothing is real unless there is a piece of paper (ideally lots of them and with stamps on).
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Yikes thanks for some of info I have found in this thread - going to IST over easter CE on the 320. I had no idea actually needed an electronic visa for Turkey, never mind the advise of physically carrying the paper copy.....and had no idea about fast track arrival there for CE pax...always good to learn things on FT
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by nivsy
Yikes thanks for some of info I have found in this thread - going to IST over easter CE on the 320. I had no idea actually needed an electronic visa for Turkey, never mind the advise of physically carrying the paper copy.....and had no idea about fast track arrival there for CE pax...always good to learn things on FT
You can get the visa at the airport if you forget. There's a machine which takes the usual credit cards. You get a piece of paper for the immigration person to stamp.

I think it's valid for 90 days, and if you go back to Turkey within that time, you won't need the paper - although I was asked for it in a way which might make you think you do. If you insist you have one already, then they will check the computer and let you through.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Originally Posted by shefgab
Thats a shame. I'm passing through IST in a few weeks. I guess i'll have to line up with the jihadis. At least CE does still have some perks!
I've gotten one from the service desk by showing my Gold Card. Not sure whether this was because we had our kids and they took pity on us, or whether we are entitled. Pleased we got it, as the regular line looked horrendous.

In any event, no matter how long it takes to get through, you are going to a fabulous city. Have a blast
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
I went to IST on BA676 last weekend. Immigration queue was reasonable - through in 5 minutes.

Sort out the visa before you go. It takes a couple of minutes online.

Take sterling cash and change at one of the many foreign exchange booths located around the city. Rates varied slightly but averaged 3.6TL/ which was much better than anything you will get in the UK and there is no commission.

Take a coat. The wind blows down from the Black Sea and it was bitterly cold last weekend.

Absolute must see attractions are the Blue Mosque (free entry), Aya Sofia (TL30) and Topkapi Palace (TL30 + an extra TL15 if you want to go in to the Harem).

Have fun. It's a great city.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:16 am

One more thing - if you start a US trip from IST a couple of times in quick succession (I did this last year), then the US authorities may mark you with SSSS - where you get the extra special security rub down. And this designation stayed with me for several more trips!

As long as you enjoy the phrase "I'm going to use the back of my hands on your buttocks - is that OK?", then you'll be fine!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold

"Where is your visa?"
"It's electronic."
"May I see it?"

I forgot to print out my visa, and couldn't get it to come up electronically on my phone. The agent insisted I needed to show it to him, and that he couldn't see it on his computer, so I ended up having to go into the immigration offices and use their computer to access my email and print it out, only for the same agent to barely give it a glance when I did eventually have it. The whole process seems to be completely random, as some of my travel companions at different counters weren't asked to show theirs. So, my advice about taking a print out still stands (although I see that the OP doesn't require one in this case).
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Where is your visa?"
"It's electronic."
"May I see it?"

+1 I had the same thing, guy thumbed through my passport, asked me for a visa, but fortunately I did have a print out of it!

Originally Posted by ftaitr
As long as you enjoy the phrase "I'm going to use the back of my hands on your buttocks - is that OK?", then you'll be fine!
Top tip: Never use the expression "At least buy me dinner first" during a TSA pat down.

Originally Posted by Lefly
Another question, if I may: how early do you suggest to be at the airport, on the return?
90 minutes will be sufficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.