Wiki Posts
Search

BA to IST - Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
BA to IST - Any tips?

We're going this Saturday on BA676, returning on Tuesday with BA675.
Never been there, and I am wondering if there are things good to know in advance, especially about the arrive at the airport... We will be in CE with one checked bag.

Thank you!

PS
To be precise: start and ending point for this trip will be BRU, single ticket.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
BA to IST - Any tip?

The 676 is a good flight to be on as it departs and arrives at civilised times. You'll get lunch on board after an hour or so and there will be a choice of two hot mains. So, have an early breakfast if you can.

When you arrive be sure to collect a fast track immigration slip from the cabin crew, which are for all CE passengers. (They are dark red and they'll hand them out either as seat belt signs come on or at the door)

Make sure you follow the signs as the correct lane is a bit of a walk. Don't be tempted to use a regular immigration lane as it's a shorter walk, because Istanbul is currently a gateway to undesirables heading to Syria and Iraq. This therefore means processing times are very slow.

Baggage reclaim was swift on the one occasion I took a checked item.

Be sure you have an e-visa, obtainable easily online.

Finally, enjoy IST, my favourite BA destination on the SH network.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Make sure you have a printout of your e-visa. Consider booking an airport transfer - I've used istanbulairportexpress.com who offered a reliable service and were reasonably priced.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
Make sure you have a printout of your e-visa. Consider booking an airport transfer - I've used istanbulairportexpress.com who offered a reliable service and were reasonably priced.
I can second this advice (my mother, of all people, told me about this outfit!). Don't be tempted to ask a hotel to organise a transfer for you as they are usually obscenely priced and take a large cut for themselves.

If a transfer is outside your budget, I can recommend the public transport system. It has European-like efficiency and the Istanbulkart is a sort of Oyster card that is easy to manage. If the road traffic is bad, the train/tram to the city centre is often around the same in terms of travel time. Istanbul itself is safe and visitors are welcome despite being an enormous city.

A final tidbit - if you accidentally tear a banknote, however small, it will likely be politely declined for payment in a shop. Kemal Ataturk appears on all notes and is almost universally revered in Turkey. A torn note is a sign of "disrespect", but most banks will be happy to take the damaged one off you and replace it.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much It's very good to know that there is a fast track for CE passengers, I indeed read that immigration can be a mess...

We don't need a visa, as we're of Italian nationality (no visa for tourist stays under 90 days), and we already booked a transfer with the hotel in sultanahmet, both ways (one way was included in the package, we added the other).

Another question, if I may: how early do you suggest to be at the airport, on the return?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul4040
A final tidbit - if you accidentally tear a banknote, however small, it will likely be politely declined for payment in a shop. Kemal Ataturk appears on all notes and is almost universally revered in Turkey. A torn note is a sign of "disrespect", but most banks will be happy to take the damaged one off you and replace it.
About money, we were thinking to use ATM in the airport to get local currency. It's ok in your opinion/experience?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Lefly

Another question, if I may: how early do you suggest to be at the airport, on the return?
Check in only opens in IST 120 minutes before departure if you wish to drop a bag, so arrive no earlier than this. There's very little landside.

The lounge at IST is acceptable; it can get a little busy, but be aware it's at the opposite end of the terminal to the gates which BA usually use. It's a fine enough space to spend around an hour.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:40 am

About money, we were thinking to use ATM in the airport to get local currency. It's ok in your opinion/experience?
I try to avoid ATMs abroad so I couldn't tell you whether they're any good. But the airport itself is well policed; I would be more worried about the ATM actually not working than getting my card cloned.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a large bank of ATM's to the left as you exit customs. All reputable banks so no problem to get currency there.

Allow plenty of time to get to IST as traffic can be tricky. Check in itself is pretty simple, Fastrack immigration is easy and security works much better now it is centralised. The lounge is missable so don't get there too early!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Just to flag that you will have to put your bags through a security scanner as you enter the terminal. This can be a really quick process if you there is no one entering the terminal at the same time as you. This can be a mess if you are behind a large group arriving by coach.

There are security scanners at both ends of the airport so if one side looks really busy, you can try walking along the outside of the terminal to the other side and hope it is less busy.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Is fast track immigration in IST just given to CE pax, or can a BA Silver (and guest) request one?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shefgab
Is fast track immigration in IST just given to CE pax, or can a BA Silver (and guest) request one?
CE only
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, QF, BA
I would imagine the 767 would be a much better flight than slimline Y in a 320...
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by QPProletarian
I would imagine the 767 would be a much better flight than slimline Y in a 320...
It is and it isn't. In CE the service is a little less personal with such a large cabin, but the seats are obviously more pleasant. That said, on a 767 all the window seats are pairs with no blocked middle.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
All good advice given here. The traffic can be absolutely appalling and if you have just one bag, the metro is pretty good. I took it myself for the first time recently as my other half (who was already there) had to abandon trying to even get to the airport to pick me up. Ticket machines are all in English and the routes are easy to follow. I was so impressed I may do it again!

Another useful thing is that you avail yourself of duty free whilst waiting for your bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.