Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Duty free and customs when returning from Ex-EU trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty free and customs when returning from Ex-EU trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
What some people don't realise is that if there are two of you travelling together, you can't add your £390 allowances together to cover the cost of a single item costing over £390 - and if you bring in a single item worth over £390 you pay the VAT and duty on the total value, not just the amount over the £390 allowance. That really hurts!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sts603
How is this enforced? It would seem based on the way this is described that there is no one monitoring or spot checking whether you pick up the red phone and make your payment?
Believe it or not, HMRC does from time to time send someone to BRR to check. However there is of course "intelligence based enforcement", as Mrs. Rooney discovered to her cost.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I have seen Customs Officers at NCL searching baggage and questioning passengers that had arrived on a Domestic flight but had originated from somewhere in the Caribbean.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
I have seen Customs Officers at NCL searching baggage and questioning passengers that had arrived on a Domestic flight but had originated from somewhere in the Caribbean.
I flew from LHR to MUC with BA and an old CX bag tag attracted the attention of an eagle-eyed customs officer. Asked where I'd flown from - answer LON. "Only from LON? Where did ths bag start its journey?" He was apparently satisfied with my answers, no bag search necessary...
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:33 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
... and, of course, it's fairly easy to pick out people who've arrived from outside the EU with hold baggage because their tags will be a different colour to intra-EU passengers.

That probably means relying on specific intelligence to pick up those travelling HBO, which - given the suitcase volume available - most likely means bringing an expensive watch or piece of jewellery in rather than something that has considerable value by virtue of its size. Not always a guarantee - I was stopped with HBO coming back from SIN once, but whereas everyone else with checked luggage was having their cases emptied, I was delayed by less than 30 seconds having answered a handful of questions - the most ludicrous of which, holding my passport page open on a page with numerous SIN stamps, was "Have you been to Singapore before?".
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
All very interesting. Thanks. Will be sure to be more conscious about making any new items not appear as such. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that the UK actually tries to enforce limits on importing personal goods for personal consumption given every other attempt to steal my money
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:47 am
Community Director

With the current weakness of the Euro, the answer is probably to shop in Europe at the moment! No import limits then (other than to prove for personal use) ...
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
With the current weakness of the Euro, the answer is probably to shop in Europe at the moment! No import limits then (other than to prove for personal use) ...
Which brings me back to my question from before - if buying in the EU and flying to LHR, can you produce a BP for LHR-ex-EU destination and get the tax free price? What about just an itinerary showing travel onwards from LHR?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which brings me back to my question from before - if buying in the EU and flying to LHR, can you produce a BP for LHR-ex-EU destination and get the tax free price? What about just an itinerary showing travel onwards from LHR?
My guess:

If you bought the item at the European airport, yes.
If not, no.
If in doubt, ask.

Can you deceive HMRC about the origin of the goods?

That's your gamble.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:54 am

I hardly ever go in the duty-free at MUC, but in your scenario how could they possibly validate an ex-LHR BP?

"I plan on leaving the EU some time soon, honest"
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
My guess:

If you bought the item at the European airport, yes.
If not, no.
If in doubt, ask.

Can you deceive HMRC about the origin of the goods?

That's your gamble.
Its not about deceiving HMRC regarding the origin of the goods. Its about deceiving the duty free store on the continent to thinking that you are traveling beyond LHR and out of the EU so they don't charge tax. Its one thing to have to book a refundable ticket out of LHR and print off a BP. Its another to just be able to show a dummy itinerary.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:10 am
Community Director

My inclination? The practicalities of administering it would mean it's unlikely - I suspect goods have to be bought at point of leaving the EU.

If you really want to do this, and know you won't be passing through UK customs, I suppose you could always buy a fully refundable ticket from MUC to somewhere outside the EU, buy the goods, get the ticket refunded then fly on your original itinerary. Even then there's a risk - your departing boarding pass is scanned to verify you're eligible for tax/duty free goods, so when it comes to reconcile the claim (the retailers have to document why nothing was charged) you will show as not having travelled - making your purchase 'illegal' and making you fully traceable and liable for tax and duty.

Strikes me that comes under the 'too much aggravation, not worth the risk' categories.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Ex-MAN they are happy to do it, if you have an onwards BP.

Via the EU
If you're flying via an EU airport to a country outside the EU (eg Manchester to Johannesburg via Amsterdam), and you are in possession of a boarding card for your final destination, you can still buy goods at both duty and tax free prices at Manchester Airport.
I've shown a connecting BP when buying gin at MAN before, and the connecting flight details were what appeared on the receipt in the sealed bag. But that was a Swiss domestic connection from ZRH, so the MAN-ZRH leg would have been eligible for duty free in its own right. Interestingly they wanted to see the connecting BP when I asked them for the sealed bag - would I still have been able to buy duty free if I was connecting in ZRH back to an EU destination?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I would have said yes as Switzerland is not in the EU.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SilverSkier
I encountered a "when to declare goods" problem on a trip returning from overseas and transiting Heathrow on my way to Manchester. I intended to bring home an expensive item that would require the payment of VAT and duty. I checked with HMRC before I started my journey home to ascertain when I would complete the Customs formalities and was told that if the item was in my hand luggage I would have to declare it at Heathrow, but if it was in my hold luggage, which would be checked straight through to Manchester, I would clear it through Customs at Manchester.
This left me with a problem - my connection at Heathrow was too short to allow time to contact Customs via the red phone and sort out the necessary paperwork and payments without risking missing my connecting flight - but the value of the item was such that there was no way it was going in my checked luggage. I ended up sending the item direct to my home by Fedex before I started my homeward journey - otherwise I would have risked either losing the item if it was in my checked luggage, or missing my Manchester flight if it was in my hand luggage.
I now factor in the cost of FedEx shipping whenever I'm thinking of busting my customs limit on a trip that involves connecting flights - it saves a lot of grief!
When connecting through LHR on to a domestic sector I always assumed you declared what you wanted at your final destination whether you had kept it on you or had it in your checked luggage. I've never seen anything written down telling me to do otherwise.

Seems a silly rule to have when you could just put it in your checked luggage as soon as you collect it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.