Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is the second BP scan at T5 Fast Track Security a stats scam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the second BP scan at T5 Fast Track Security a stats scam?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by FTLHR
Yes, that is true and while we haven’t put resources there the implementation of parallel loading is attacking the bottleneck at the front and the longer lanes mean that build-up of rejected tray pax now needs to be longer to affect non rejected tray pax, a good thing I hope you’ll agree but doesn’t solve the issue for rejected pax and especially the no fault ones. Work is being done to explore flagging the non-fault random pax to searchers earlier but that still requires an explanation to why someone has been skipped forward to the other waiting pax. Improving the back end of the process will be the next priority after improving the front.

I'm sympathetic, I know what it is like to wait for a random test behind other people who aren't compliant when you are in a rush as I have to use staff search fairly often never mind when I do fly. Despite it not solving the issues at he back of the lane we are quite right to implement something that makes significant improvement to flow at the front.
I take issue with your use of the word "compliant", as that implies there is a fully transparent and communicated rationale for secondary searches. There isn't. Ergo one can't "comply" with what one doesn't know!

There is no excuse for the shambles that is secondary screening and it needs two things to happen
1) more resource added
2) existing staff to stop the "go slow" or whatever passive action they are taking which results in them moving at the speed of a disgruntled teenager being asked to tidy their bedroom.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
2) existing staff to stop the "go slow" or whatever passive action they are taking which results in them moving at the speed of a disgruntled teenager being asked to tidy their bedroom.
You've just offended a lot of disgruntled teenagers

Originally Posted by FTLHR
(...)how does the harmonisation of transfers and directs for Q6 tie in with our strategic ai[m] to be Europe's hub of choice and win a third runway?
It's my strategic aim to win the lottery. I suspect I'm more likely to win than LHR is to be[come] Europe's hub of choice.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
Just been through South Fast Track at T5. Employee standing at the second BP scan and asking for boarding passes to scan. I queried why and was told we need it to track you. I complained that it was not compulsory and was informed we have to do it "in case anything happens to you" during scanning (?!) What guff.

However, with queues behind me and mindful that annoying security is rarely a good idea, I submitted. Revenge was taken with a frowning face at the feedback console.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:20 am

I'm glad HAL has so many extra security staff on duty they have enough spares to do the second BP scan for pax...

You really couldn't make this stuff up!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
I was also very rudely told that "you HAVE to scan your boarding pass here" two days ago at FT South. Obviously then took another 10 minutes to get through after that
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
I just ignored the bloody thing.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
FT South a farce this morning, so used Slow Track. Plenty of time for conversation within the queue so explained to everyone nearby who was digging for their BPs that they didn't have to do it. Mass disobedience ensued. Take that, HAL.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by User Name
FT South a farce this morning, so used Slow Track. Plenty of time for conversation within the queue so explained to everyone nearby who was digging for their BPs that they didn't have to do it. Mass disobedience ensued. Take that, HAL.
Errm.... By ignoring the second scan when queues are long you're playing into the hands of HAL. The scan is there to measure the queuing time pre-security, and while I agree that the security targets are defined badly that's all we have at the moment. Unless you scan at busy times HAL's fines will be lower and it will have even less of an incentive to do anything about the queues.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by BasilBush
Errm.... By ignoring the second scan when queues are long you're playing into the hands of HAL. The scan is there to measure the queuing time pre-security, and while I agree that the security targets are defined badly that's all we have at the moment. Unless you scan at busy times HAL's fines will be lower and it will have even less of an incentive to do anything about the queues.
Good point. I omitted the detail that the shambles was a long queue outside security, prior to the initial scan.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Satisfying no doubt, but something of a Pyrrhic victory.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point. I omitted the detail that the shambles was a long queue outside security, prior to the initial scan.
The pre-queuing time is factored into the model.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
The pre-queuing time is factored into the model.
Huh?

Last time I was anywhere near North security, the queue for the first scan stretched right across the departures area almost to the doors to the ramp. How do they model that?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Huh?
Yes. Shall I write it again?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Huh?

Last time I was anywhere near North security, the queue for the first scan stretched right across the departures area almost to the doors to the ramp. How do they model that?
According to FTLHR (who seems close to this issue at LHR) HAL supplement the scan info with CCTV evidence. How they do this, I don't know. It must add some subjectivity to the calculations, and is clearly more subject to manipulation than direct scan data.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by BasilBush
According to FTLHR (who seems close to this issue at LHR) HAL supplement the scan info with CCTV evidence.
A CCTV camera with a really really really really wide-angle lens

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes. Shall I write it again?
If you say it enough times, would that make it true?

Last edited by shorthauldad; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.