Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is the second BP scan at T5 Fast Track Security a stats scam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the second BP scan at T5 Fast Track Security a stats scam?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the current data collection method, the following would be measured as a 5-second connection security queue:

If that's indeed the case, I think this belongs in the fraud category.

Last edited by hillrider; Feb 3, 2015 at 12:25 am
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
As BasilBush points out, the earlier attempt to monitor queueing times was a botch, easily manipulated by the airport: in essence statistics were not continuous and could be collected under favourable conditions. The secondary scan is an attempt to remedy this, measuring time taken from entering the system to reaching the processing point: it might be flawed in its execution, but it's a bit strong to call it a scam.

The statistic of interest to the regulator is queuing time, not time in the inspection system.

Queueing time is largely under the control of the airport and is a service quality measure adopted by the regulator; processing time is passenger specific and modulated by rules set by a third party.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
As BasilBush points out, the earlier attempt to monitor queueing times was a botch, easily manipulated by the airport: in essence statistics were not continuous and could be collected under favourable conditions. The secondary scan is an attempt to remedy this, measuring time taken from entering the system to reaching the processing point: it might be flawed in its execution, but it's a bit strong to call it a scam.

The statistic of interest to the regulator is queuing time, not time in the inspection system.

Queueing time is largely under the control of the airport and is a service quality measure adopted by the regulator; processing time is passenger specific and modulated by rules set by a third party.
Then why isn't the time spent waiting in the idiotic LHR-only "conformance" additional queue not included?

That part is definitely a scam IMHO. It is in the airport's control, as would be its (very welcomed) removal, which they might end up doing if they have to pay for its customer inconveniencing.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:05 am

As BasilBush points out, the earlier attempt to monitor queueing times was a botch, easily manipulated by the airport: in essence statistics were not continuous and could be collected under favourable conditions.
How is the current system any different? Waiting 20 mins for a secondary inspection isn't even 'detected' by any monitoring, so HAL can throw resource at the part of the queue that is monitored, and ignore the bit(s) that aren't.

Good to know the regulator is doing such a great job on our behalf.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
How is the current system any different? Waiting 20 mins for a secondary inspection isn't even 'detected' by any monitoring, so HAL can throw resource at the part of the queue that is monitored, and ignore the bit(s) that aren't.

Good to know the regulator is doing such a great job on our behalf.
Indeed. And also remember that Fasttrack queuing is not subject to any targets, on the basis that the CAA considers this to be a contractual matter between HAL and its airline customers. Quite how the CAA squares this with its statutory duty to the consumer (ie not the airlines, and especially not HAL) beats me.

But rather than complaining on here, fire off an email to the CAA. Every time you see a queue ahead of the first BP check, or you see non- status pax being redirected into Fasttrack, or pax being redirected from North to South security (or vv). Their email is [email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
On Friday, there was a very polite person who at the secondary scan took your boarding pass, scanned it for you and then directed you to a free bay. The chap in front of me refused to hand over his boarding pass and was told it was mandatory. I also refused asking what it was for and they could not tell me, so I just walked to the next empty bay.

It is a bit like Boots or WHSimths asking for my boarding pass, its all about collecting (unnecessary) data.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by HKGorBust
It is a bit like Boots or WHSimths asking for my boarding pass, its all about collecting (unnecessary) data.
For Boots/WH Smith I always decline, but I usually give a lame excuse like it's with my partner or at the bottom of my bag. I should probably just tell them that I don't want to be tracked.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
On a related note, there is a BP scanner just before each of the metal detectors at T5 security (cattle-class security).

I'm not talking about the BP scanner when you enter the security area where your picture gets taken and the gates open to let you through - I'm talking about the area where you put your coat and bag/laptop etc into a tray just before you ealk through the metal detector.

Right there is a BP scanner. Is this what you guys are talking about? What is it there for?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rumbataz
On a related note, there is a BP scanner just before each of the metal detectors at T5 security (cattle-class security).

I'm not talking about the BP scanner when you enter the security area where your picture gets taken and the gates open to let you through - I'm talking about the area where you put your coat and bag/laptop etc into a tray just before you ealk through the metal detector.

Right there is a BP scanner. Is this what you guys are talking about? What is it there for?
This is exactly what this thread is about, and the reasons for them are noted in the thread.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's madness and is an absolute SCAM that the system measures queuing time before security. I find it hilarious the CAA decided the old system was corrupt so gave them a new one which gathers absolutely meaningless statistics. Why has the CAA decided not to measure how long it takes to get through security? How is that not the interesting statistics. Who cares one iota how long it takes you to reach security scanning if said scanning takes 10 minutes.

As it stands, the system doesn't measure this at all. Meaningless. What a steaming pile.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:39 am

Time to start carrying those old boarding passes. Should make for some interesting statistics.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by ppp909
Time to start carrying those old boarding passes. Should make for some interesting statistics.
Heh ^

We need to organise a FT conga:

First FTer arrives at LHR, goes through conformance, scans BP, refuses to scan your BP at the second scanner. Heads for flight, emails BP to next FTer.

<4h later>

Second FTer arrives at LHR, goes through conformance, scans BP, scans first FTers BP at the second scanner, heads for flight, emails second BP to third FTer

<4h later>

Third FTer arrives at LHR...
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by lhrpete
When they put the second BP scanner at the exit to security I'll use it and help them collect truthful information rather than the current lies.
Exactly, that's where it needs to be - near the customer satisfaction machine where you register your happiness/disgust with T5 security.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by rumbataz
Exactly, that's where it needs to be - near the customer satisfaction machine where you register your happiness/disgust with T5 security.
Putting it out there would be open to abuse though - passengers could wander off to Boots for a while and then pop back to scan their BP.

I'd say it should be right at the point you exit the scanner - before you get pulled aside for secondary searching. That way, everyone is measured on the how long it took to be scanned, rather than to be cleared which can indeed be outside HAL's control.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Putting it out there would be open to abuse though - passengers could wander off to Boots for a while and then pop back to scan their BP.

I'd say it should be right at the point you exit the scanner - before you get pulled aside for secondary searching. That way, everyone is measured on the how long it took to be scanned, rather than to be cleared which can indeed be outside HAL's control.
I agree. But as indicated by FTers the CAA are not in the slightest bit interest in any interests except the airlines and airports. The fact they don't want to measure this shows what a load of crap they are. And I'd refer to NickB for his comments on that ridiculous and meaningless document put out by the CAA for all the reasons airlines don't need to pay compo for 261. A steaming pile of that it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.