Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is the second BP scan at T5 Fast Track Security a stats scam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the second BP scan at T5 Fast Track Security a stats scam?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by umbyboy
Queues are measured with Bluetooth
How does that work then please?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Queues are measured with Bluetooth and not by scanning the boarding pass.
? Linked to mobile devices?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Banana4321
Presumably by passively searching devices and getting data by density and location. It's relatively easy to triangulate devices in an enclosed area. More commonly done with wifi systems though - TfL did it across a large number of Tube stations earlier this month to better understand passenger flows
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Banana4321
In a nutshell, it follows "you" from when you enter security to when you leave and measures how long it has taken you to get through. It is a sampling technique as not everyone has Bluetooth active and yet still very accurate.

For immigration, queues are measured with an employee literally following the last person in the queue.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:09 am

On my most recent trip through T5, a couple of months ago, I had the opposite experience to most of those who have populated this thread: I went to scan my BP and the HAL staff members said not to bother.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:18 am

In a nutshell, it follows "you" from when you enter security to when you leave and measures how long it has taken you to get through. It is a sampling technique as not everyone has Bluetooth active and yet still very accurate.

For immigration, queues are measured with an employee literally following the last person in the queue.
Ah OK. So I should only switch on my bluetooth when the queues are long
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by RGS5526
On my most recent trip through T5, a couple of months ago, I had the opposite experience to most of those who have populated this thread: I went to scan my BP and the HAL staff members said not to bother.
Yes, they usually say that when queues are horrible and they don't want that recorded.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Yes, they usually say that when queues are horrible and they don't want that recorded.
Successfully used a 4 week old boarding pass just before Christmas. Next time I am going to go for a really old one, I think I have one on my phone from July 15.

Childish of course but then I am not threatening pax with a 25 minute delay if there is a bottle of water in their bag when it goes through the scanner.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Childish of course but then I am not threatening pax with a 25 minute delay if there is a bottle of water in their bag when it goes through the scanner.
If you don't like the liquid rules and the requirement to search any passenger's luggage who is so stupid as to leave an item over 100ml in their luggage, that's an issue to be taken up with the DfT - not a HAL issue. It very rarely takes 25 minutes to conduct a search of the offending bag.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
If you don't like the liquid rules and the requirement to search any passenger's luggage who is so stupid as to leave an item over 100ml in their luggage, that's an issue to be taken up with the DfT - not a HAL issue. It very rarely takes 25 minutes to conduct a search of the offending bag.
I am not disagreeing with the rules whatsoever. My problem is with security staff and their pathetic threats of 25 minute delays for each person who's bags have to be rescanned.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I am not disagreeing with the rules whatsoever. My problem is with security staff and their pathetic threats of 25 minute delays for each person who's bags have to be rescanned.
They are trying to ensure passengers have checked their luggage, although I agree it's not the most customer-friendly way to go about this.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
But shouldn't you disagree with the stupid rules though?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
It's completely a HAL issue. I've been accidentally caught once and their attitude was belligerent. It's a service to customers, not some kangaroo court to meat out justice.

Having been flying around the US for the past few weeks there is no similar attitude from the TSA. And they offer a Pre service too.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
So stunned was I on 24 December, that there was no line at Fast Track that I forgot to pull out my liquids. Off the bag goes to the naughty bag section, and after confessing to the agent what happened, my wait was about 15 minutes. The kids in front of me had all sorts of water and other liquids so took a fair time to clear.

(Funniest part was that I use an old F bag to keep sachets of instant coffee in for travels. The security employee thought she had found the mother lode, but of course it was all fine. We both laughed at that one.)
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
I was faced with a "yes it's mandatory" the other week. Subsequently complained to the supervision who confirmed it wasn't.

What are my actual options when faced with this nonsense?

I suppose I could offer to stand there and block the queue until 15min 1 second have elapsed since conformance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.