Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Interesting on the Speedbird Club website BA posted today, they clearly imply that the No 1 Lounge will be expanded to deal with BA customers (although no specific/detailed info) so they seem to be thinking about the expected capacity issues. Timeline seems to be fixed now for closure of existing lounges in Jan 16:

"As part of Gatwick Airport’s investment plan for 2016, the British Airways First Lounge and Galleries Lounge at London Gatwick will close for building work in January 2016.

From this time, customers will be invited to use the North Terminal No 1 Lounge, which is being increased in size to accommodate British Airways’ customers.

Details of a new British Airways Lounge at London Gatwick will be revealed closer to the time of its opening."
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dptraveller
Interesting on the Speedbird Club website BA posted today, they clearly imply that the No 1 Lounge will be expanded to deal with BA customers (although no specific/detailed info) so they seem to be thinking about the expected capacity issues. Timeline seems to be fixed now for closure of existing lounges in Jan 16:

"As part of Gatwick Airport’s investment plan for 2016, the British Airways First Lounge and Galleries Lounge at London Gatwick will close for building work in January 2016.

From this time, customers will be invited to use the North Terminal No 1 Lounge, which is being increased in size to accommodate British Airways’ customers.

Details of a new British Airways Lounge at London Gatwick will be revealed closer to the time of its opening."
I know there is a lot of criticism of BA on here but does anyone seriously think that BA hasn't considered capacity issues? BA has a lot of very competent senior managers and this kind of obvious point clearly hasn't escaped anyone. BA obviously has very accurate figures for their normal visitor numbers at LGW and these will have been provided to No1. There will be a contract in place to ensure No1 is able to cater for the expected demand.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's safe to say I'll be avoiding LGW flights with BA for 2016....
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
It's safe to say I'll be avoiding LGW flights with BA for 2016....
I'd give it a go! BA will have its own dedicated space in the No1 lounge, and it'll be a brand new space!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
I had planned to move more of my flights from LCY/LHR to Gatters and indeed I am not planning on changing too much.

As long as there is hot food I don't really mind non premium booze.

As for being busy, Gatters Flounge is just crazy everytime I go there, could N01 be any worse?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave_C
But ultimately three spaces will be combined into one? That's not going to be a pleasant place to be no matter what happens. There's only so much lipstick you can put on a pig.
I'm catching up with this thread.

A post from someone called Dave C, talking about putting lipstick on a pig.

It can't be, can it....
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I'm catching up with this thread.

A post from someone called Dave C, talking about putting lipstick on a pig.

It can't be, can it....
I think I've missed a reference?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Possibly. Does your wife come from Scûnthorpe? If not, we're all safe, including the pig.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup
I'd give it a go! BA will have its own dedicated space in the No1 lounge, and it'll be a brand new space!
Cubicle no1 with a hastily written "cabana" sign on it
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:45 am

Where have you been for the past couple of days?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=david+cameron+pig
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
woosh
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I know there is a lot of criticism of BA on here but does anyone seriously think that BA hasn't considered capacity issues?
Not exactly, but I don't think the guys at LGW really care that much.

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
BA has a lot of very competent senior managers and this kind of obvious point clearly hasn't escaped anyone. BA obviously has very accurate figures for their normal visitor numbers at LGW and these will have been provided to No1. There will be a contract in place to ensure No1 is able to cater for the expected demand.
More likely the No1 lounge will insist on capacity restrictions. For instance, no guests, no turning up more than 2 hours before the flight, or maybe they will stop accepting Priority Pass for a while.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Sneak preview of Clubrooms, launching tomorrow @Gatwick_Airport.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
According to the Twitter thread, they are launching in the South Terminal first. I guess they will be launched in the North Terminal as part of the expansion of their lounge there, although I can't envisage where this extra space is coming from in North.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:01 pm

These are advertised for groups although they will hopefully take some numbers away from the main lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.