Search

Securing the cabin for take-off

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR PlatElite, Alaska MVP 75K
Originally Posted by T8191
Observed that on AA last week ... some amusement at the pointless of it
Whatever, it serves its purpose.

I doubt you (or anyone else) could move that trolley (even with just a "barbie doll" guarding it) before the passengers figured out what's going on and zip-tied you on the floor.

I can give you my flight schedule if you'd like to arrange a demonstration
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Can I help you
If it was second piece of handbaggage she was correct.
Ok, thanks, so should I have put it under the seat in front of my exit row seat? The crew seemed to feel otherwise.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes, all passengers second piece of handbaggage should be tagged, that includes customers in First, Club World and emergency exits even though in all of these cases no handbaggage can be stowed under the seat in front of you.
We do make an announcement onboard that clearly says that the smaller second piece of handbaggage should be put under the seat in front of you but customers sitting in the areas mentioned above should be put all their handbaggage into the overhead lockers as the area around the seat must be completely clear for takeoff and landing.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fuji8bit2
Whatever, it serves its purpose.

I doubt you (or anyone else) could move that trolley (even with just a "barbie doll" guarding it)
Anyone under 30 could just jump straight over it in a jiffy!

Originally Posted by fuji8bit2
before the passengers figured out what's going on and zip-tied you on the floor.

I can give you my flight schedule if you'd like to arrange a demonstration
Goodness me, first I'm being repeatedly straddled on AA flights and now there's the offer to be zip tied. I must be doing something right!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, all passengers second piece of handbaggage should be tagged, that includes customers in First, Club World and emergency exits even though in all of these cases no handbaggage can be stowed under the seat in front of you.
We do make an announcement onboard that clearly says that the smaller second piece of handbaggage should be put under the seat in front of you but customers sitting in the areas mentioned above should be put all their handbaggage into the overhead lockers as the area around the seat must be completely clear for takeoff and landing.
Isn't that just a waste of paper?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Customers can be stopped at any part of their journey through the terminal and have their second piece of handbaggage tagged, this could be at check in, going through security at LHR, by one of the teams patrolling the departure area or the gate team.
None of these staff will know all the different configurations so to treat everyone the same ALL second pieces should be tagged, onboard as said we make an announcement and none of the crew would allow handbaggage in the restricted areas.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Customers can be stopped at any part of their journey through the terminal and have their second piece of handbaggage tagged, this could be at check in, going through security at LHR, by one of the teams patrolling the departure area or the gate team.
None of these staff will know all the different configurations so to treat everyone the same ALL second pieces should be tagged, onboard as said we make an announcement and none of the crew would allow handbaggage in the restricted areas.
If it is the second piece of handbaggage that is to be tagged, why do BA staff at LCY insist on tagging the first and only piece of handbaggage if it is small enough to fit under the seat? I had a polite exchange with BA staff there last week and she insisted that my backpack (and only piece of handbaggage) had to be tagged!

And yes, it seems a waste of paper to tag CW pax handbaggage! And with exit rows, it should be fairly easy to mark boarding passes accordingly!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's my understanding that this shouldn't happen and only the second bag should have the yellow tag.
As explained customers can be stopped at any time by the ground staff and have their second bag tagged, boarding cards do not say if a seat is by an emergency exit.
By having all second bags tagged no customers are treated differently which could cause problems if some customers questioned why others queuing to board didn't have the tags, onboard of course the crew will help anyone in restricted seats to stow their bags.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Oh dear, I only mentioned it as an aside...

I can only give my personal experience. I've never had my second piece tagged as such when travelling in CW or F as long as I can recall (certainly the last 5 years or so). Obviously far fewer such flights than you, but still quite a lot.

Fair enough, but for me still pretty incongruous to tag it when knowing that it can't go up (unless gate staff can't see I'm in an exit row when they check my BP, in which case is it solely down to the crew to see if I'm fit to be in that row?)

Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
If it is the second piece of handbaggage that is to be tagged, why do BA staff at LCY insist on tagging the first and only piece of handbaggage if it is small enough to fit under the seat? I had a polite exchange with BA staff there last week and she insisted that my backpack (and only piece of handbaggage) had to be tagged!

And yes, it seems a waste of paper to tag CW pax handbaggage! And with exit rows, it should be fairly easy to mark boarding passes accordingly!
I think it's clear I'm not a BA policy expert but I do fly through LCY a lot. I think it's purely an overhead capacity issue, wheelie cases all have to go in sideways on Embraers, so there's just not as much room, and they take every opportunity to save space up there. Just be grateful they didn't try to gate check it...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
"Safety breach" seems a little harsh.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
I can only give my personal experience. I've never had my second piece tagged as such when travelling in CW or F as long as I can recall (certainly the last 5 years or so). Obviously far fewer such flights than you, but still quite a lot.
Same here - and, when travelling in Europe I've rarely had a second piece of handbaggage tagged either - the few occasions I recall have been in T3 and at some European outstations.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
Austrian is one of the European airlines where CC often do not check thoroughly. I have seen quite some instances where pax would not stow luggage under their seat, pax would use their phone during taxiing (at a time when it was still prohibited) and seats would be reclined before take-off. I typically sit in the aisle seat so am not affected by people in the window not properly stowing their luggage (it is their problem if they cannot get out in an emergency). However, in a situation described by the OP, if I had been close by, I would have notified a CC, as this is just a bit too dangerous, as pointed out by several others.

Overall, I have no big safety concerns with OS; however, I would be a bit scared if something serious happened, as CC simply do not seem properly trained and do not have the right safety culture.
I have not been on OS for a couple of years but cannot say I have ever seen that. Some carriers take a slightly more relaxed view than BA, although I have been on a couple of BA flights where passengers have been on their feet stowing things in overhead bins even though the ac has pushed back- which might also be a safety breach?? Frankly I don't blame the CC for not doing anything. What can you do apart from ask people to sit down? The new hand baggage rules and passengers' general ignorance on how to stow things properly and considerately means that most European flights seem to be an unseemly melee.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
I am doing quite a lot of flights on OS (for some destinations in South East Europe they are the only airline) and this nonchalant attitude towards safety happens quite often. Funnily enough I had also recently the opposite experience - a CC insisting that I turn off my iPad during taxiing at a time when it was already allowed. I closed the iPad, opened the inflight magazine and showed the CC the rules concerning electronics. She apologized. No big deal, indeed. However, what this suggests is that there is (i) not much of safety training on OS and (ii) there might not be much of a safety culture on OS either. Both of which gives me some of concerns for emergency situations.

I'd rather prefer the BA attitude - rules are rules even if some of them might make more sense than others.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Often1
I don't know any US carrier which prohibits bags under the seat in front for exit rows so long as the bag does not obstruct passage. Always been that way for as long as I remember.
I flew UA in economy across the Atlantic last month in an E+ exit row and the crew made the woman next to me put her bag in the overhead bin so that the exit row was completely clear. Funnily enough she then decided that this was too much of an inconvenience so she moved elsewhere and I got the entire row to myself which I was very happy about.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Today I was sitting by the window (in economy) on A321.
I saw a woman with her daughter carrying a scooter
Did they put it into an overhead bin?
No they just blocked me off with the scooter and a handbag hanging from the scooter's handlebar.

The flight attendant who was checking the seat belts didn't raise an eyebrow. I didn't want to die in fire should there be an emergency landing so I asked the flight attendant if that was a correct way to park a scooter and only then she said 'not really' and asked the mother to put it into an overhead locker.

Let's say the look on her face wasn't very pleasant for the rest of the flight and my attempt to explain why it was dangerous didn't go particularly well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.