Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need a quick way to get some (even just 1!) Avios points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

I am planning some travel on a short-haul route that would fall under the 9,000 Avios rt bracket, but costs upwards of $900 in cash. I have a brand new BAEC account with a balance of 0 Avios points.

The flight I found via BA is 9,000 points + $55 cash. The same flight, if booking in cash from US Airways, is $943. Obviously the points here would have a huge value to me.

Now, BA does allow you to purchase Avios for yourself (https://www.britishairways.com/trave...rchaseType=Buy). Buying 9,000 points would cost $273. So even if I were to just buy those points outright to book this flight, I would only spend 273 + 55 = 328 which is much much below the cash price of $900+. At this point I would gladly buy the points and book the flight that way.

Unfortunately, it seems I'm not allowed to buy points since I have a balance of 0. I checked the terms and conditions and it says

"5.The Purchaser must be a Member of the British Airways Executive Club and aged 18 or over and have at least one Avios Point in their Executive Club account."

When I try to go through the purchase process, I get "•The Executive Club account you specified is not eligible to purchase Avios."

Is there a quick way I can earn Avios for this flight? I am traveling in 2-3 weeks and would like to book it ASAP (though BA still has plenty of award seat availability on those flights). I looked at the BA Visa with 50k signup bonus, but mailing times + time for statement to close and points to post means I wouldn't get it in time. If I could even just get 1 Avios point so that I can buy the rest, that would be a lifesaver.

I don't have any Amex MR, and I just got approved for a CSP yesterday, so obviously don't have the card yet and can't spend to get UR points.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
quickly do a pile of erewards surveys, or a transfer from another account?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Doesn't BA have an affiliated online shopping mall?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Fastest is to purchase the avios at ba.com. Otherwise have a look here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...arn-avios.html
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:46 am

Rewards for thoughts? When you enrol with Rewards for Thoughts and complete your first survey, you’ll collect 600 Avios
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...avios/shopping
click on Join Rewards for Thoughts
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:47 am

Find a place where frequent fliers, err, frequent, find a forum with a few people who might have lots of Avios, quickly make a friend or sixteen, pick one, and have them book the flight for you?

Then buy them $273 of drinks as a totally unrelated gesture?

The thought of buying 9k Avios for $273 makes me wince, although I understand why the OP wants to do this

EDIT: to the OP - have you got any hotel points or Amex MRs you could convert?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Let us know which route it is. I'm sure someone will come up with a much cheaper fare than that. Even a return ticket will likely be cheaper.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

I'm looking into erewards / Rewards for Thoughts. Unfortunately I don't have any points that I can transfer in. I checked the other threads linked here and some people suggest using the shopping portal. I'm going to give that a try and see if it works for me.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Let us know which route it is. I'm sure someone will come up with a much cheaper fare than that. Even a return ticket will likely be cheaper.
The route is PHL-YYZ Mar 31 - Feb 10. I fly between these two cities a lot and it's always expensive. It's possible with United for around $450 return with stops but that's still more expensive than the US Airways/Avios option.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Can you register for Avis Preferred via http://www.avisba.com

Worst case scenario, you have to rent a car for a few dollars for a day.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
What about avios suitcase on facebook then transfer these to BAEC?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by madfish
What about avios suitcase on facebook then transfer these to BAEC?
Doesn't that require a UK registered Avios account though?

I know that there is a minimum period for Iberia accounts to be open before you can transfer - not sure if that applies to pure Avios accounts as well.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
A couple of months ago the contact centres were happy to add 1 Avios to an account for precisely this reason. Give BA a call.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Update: Called BA and they refused to add 1 point to my account -- told me to use the online shopping portal.

Also just tried rewards for thoughts, got the following message:

Thank you for your interest in participating in our surveys. Unfortunately we are unable to record your participation due to one or more of the following reasons:
You or someone else using the same computer has already participated in this survey.
The country under which you are registered does not match the location of the computer you are currently using.
Sometimes, if interviews are rushed through they can't be used and you may not be eligible for the survey reward.
Our security system detected that someone using this computer engaged in irregular activity.
A suspected or actual violation of our terms and conditions.
Looking into the other options listed here and in other threads...
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Doesn't that require a UK registered Avios account though?

I know that there is a minimum period for Iberia accounts to be open before you can transfer - not sure if that applies to pure Avios accounts as well.
That's an Iberia only restriction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.