Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonkers short haul pricing...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Used to see this all the time... About 10 years ago when flying regularly to MUC on short notice, there was restricted CE but only full fare ET remaining, and the CE was cheaper. Thankfully my corporate travel policy was sane.

Hadn't seen it for a while, but a couple of days ago I booked a AMS return for early Feb where this was also the case.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Normal order has been resumed!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Flier74

For example LH, I had to buy a ticket once on the day and went to ticket desk, lovely lady told me the Economy prize and then said actually, if you go Business, that will save you 50.

Take a guess what I went for.
So.......what prize did you get for traveling in business???
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Originally Posted by ENTP
And some corporate travel policies will force booking of the ET fare!
My corporate travel policy says Y only. If I use the official travel agency it would only show the Y fare.

But in this case I'd keep a screenshot of the corporate TA price. Plus the screenshot showing both prices on BA.

Then I'd state I bought the club ticket, and they can feel free to either expense me the club price, or the Y price.

In general, they're not crazy. But I do know some corporates have very strict policies with no common sense angles to take.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Can you give an example? There's no evidence that BA intentionally does variable pricing based on source/referrer. I suspect the difference is due to user selection or potentially a website bug.
Yup. STR-LHR on 01/03. Second image comes after skyscanner pushed me to BA.com. Seems to be a significant discount for the same product.....perhaps BA flagged me as a big spender ....

Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
In a world where capacity is variable this type of pricing should not occur.

Under fixed capacity models it can make sense to flog off the higher cabin at a cheaper price now if you want to hold back lower cabin seats for people booking later. But with variable capacity you should be able to "curtain move" this away.

But there may be a couple of explanations:

i) capacity may not be as variable as we think - perhaps the aircraft is not available for curtain movement, e.g. because the flight is operating to the UK or there is not enough time on the ground at LHR between rotations for curtain movement

ii) forecast demand for CE is so low that the curtain will be positioned at row 2 or 3 and cannot go any further forward - under such conditions capacity becomes fixed

iii) RM messed up - route analysts are only human!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by clum90
Yup. STR-LHR on 01/03. Second image comes after skyscanner pushed me to BA.com. Seems to be a significant discount for the same product.....perhaps BA flagged me as a big spender ....
I just did a STR-LHR on 1/3 dummy booking on ba.com and got the cheaper figures.

Are you sure you have "lowest price" selected when you do the quote? I get your higher figure when I choose "Flexible".
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I've not seen this before with BA.com bookings, but with AA and airberlin bookings I've seen similar..linked from a TA site the prices sometimes come in cheaper.

Although in the example above it does indeed look like the flexible booking quote was given.

Last edited by headingwest; Jan 14, 2015 at 6:10 am Reason: Added
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The screen grab above was Y vs D. But if you up the number of seats to two, Y is sold out and only C is available and that's where the 9 supplement comes in.
If you're looking at a flight that's C2 D1 Y1 (or something like that), then strange pricing is hardly going to come as a surprise.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Are you sure you have "lowest price" selected when you do the quote? I get your higher figure when I choose "Flexible".
Got me there. It is the flexi fares, sneaky how they set that as the auto preference on the home page.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by r00ty
My corporate travel policy says Y only. If I use the official travel agency it would only show the Y fare.

But in this case I'd keep a screenshot of the corporate TA price. Plus the screenshot showing both prices on BA.

Then I'd state I bought the club ticket, and they can feel free to either expense me the club price, or the Y price.

In general, they're not crazy. But I do know some corporates have very strict policies with no common sense angles to take.
My company is one of those that in this situation would still require me to book the economy fare, even if more expensive (and even if the economy fare was more expensive that the business fare + any change fees to make it 'flexible.')

This regularly seems to happen on flights to Jersey where I will be paying more at the back than others (no doubt T8191and iWife as they pursue CCR/Premier status) are in CE.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by clum90
Got me there. It is the flexi fares, sneaky how they set that as the auto preference on the home page.
Cheapest is the default. However, the preferences are sticky and if you select flexible it'll remember it for future. So if you looked at a flexible fare (or selected it accidentally) it'll remember and offer it next time. Doing a search with cheapest should make it default back to that. Note: bugs in the site may mean behaviour is slightly different so try clearing cookies if it still defaults to flexi.

I had the same issue with eastcoast.co.uk I had booked tickets for someone with a railcard. A few weeks later I booked tickets for myself but didn't carefully check the options. Unfortunately it must have 'helpfully' remembered the railcard and I hadn't realised until I collected the tickets and it had 16-25 printed on there (the age range of the railcard, used to say Y-P back when I was young enough!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.