Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring at OSL - how long?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Transferring at OSL - how long?

Catching a flight on Norwegian from ARN (Stockholm) to OSL (Oslo).
Then catching a BA flight to LHR.
(2-3 hours after landing before the BA flight)

Just had a quick look at departures and it had Norwegian around Gate 15 and BA around Gate 53.

Ideally want to be travelling with hand luggage but I'm sure it will be a little above the 10kg limit Norwegian have so it may have to be checked.
(Was 12-14kg last time it was weighed by BA/AA and expect to be carrying a similar amount this time)

Assuming either scenario, how long, roughly would it take for me get from one plane to another?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:08 am

If you schedule an hour from gate to gate, you'll have enough time to pick up luggage, check it in and be at at non-Schengen gate. The BA checkin counters are at the far east of the terminal, so make a left when you exit customs and take the lift/escelators upstairs.

Without checked luggage it will take you ten-fifteen minutes from gate to gate. Use the transfer point at gates 42/43 on the arrivals level. Follow "Transfer" signs. These facilities may not be open at late night and early morning.

https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-ai...trip/transfer/
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xenole

Just had a quick look at departures and it had Norwegian around Gate 15 and BA around Gate 53.
Haha that is just about the longest straight line you could draw in Oslo Airport, and it doesn't half go on and on. You certainly have to exit Schengen near the BA gates, plus Security roughly half way along if you are having to come in via landside. So to give you an illustration, the BA gate to the main entry from landside is only half way there. I think that's about 800 metres of walking (a good 10 minutes), plus 5 minutes for passports, plus security which will be 1 minute or 15 minutes. The lounge is just before the passports, about three quarters of the way along. Norwegian aren't in the habit of weighing bags at the gate, if you get that far. They do weigh at check-in, however.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 27, 2014 at 9:19 am
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by papabear
If you schedule an hour from gate to gate, you'll have enough time to pick up luggage, check it in and be at at non-Schengen gate. The BA checkin counters are at the far east of the terminal, so make a left when you exit customs and take the lift/escelators upstairs.

Without checked luggage it will take you ten-fifteen minutes from gate to gate. Use the transfer point at gates 42/43 on the arrivals level. Follow "Transfer" signs. These facilities may not be open at late night and early morning.

https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-ai...trip/transfer/
The only thing I would add to that is .....

If you don't need to go landside and you follow the "transfer" signs they take you to a lift to go downstairs, whereas you could just walk down the stairs about 100 yards before that. I'm not sure why the stairs don't have a "transfer" sign, but if you're in a hurry using those stairs could make all the difference.

Also, don't rush through the final passport check to get to the BA gate. There's only a small cafe there so i would recommend that you remain in the main international departures area if you have a long time or want to get something (expensive) to eat or drink.

Overall OSL is comparatively easy to transfer in compared to other airports IMO.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
(Pardon my intrusion)

Would BA to BA on separate tickets be the same? Still exit schengen and to get to checkin? Any differences for nonEU passport holders?

(Thanks, sorry to push in)
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Ideally want to be travelling with hand luggage but I'm sure it will be a little above the 10kg limit Norwegian have so it may have to be checked.
(Was 12-14kg last time it was weighed by BA/AA and expect to be carrying a similar amount this time)

Assuming either scenario, how long, roughly would it take for me get from one plane to another?
When is this trip? What time of day/day of week?

I do a fair amount of separate ticket transfers at OSL -- but not with DY.

Ive been able to do such things in as little as 15 minutes, when having cabin baggage only and the security screening and passport control lines not being busy at all; and with checked luggage, I've had it take as long as 2 hours since baggage claim can be slow -- while you can watch the madhouse of the duty free shop runs -- and the security screening lines were insanely long.

2-3 hours would be safe for most on-time arrivals at OSL transferring there onto BA. 3-4 would cover it far more easily for the worst dates/times I've experienced at OSL. Just be aware that if your bag doesn't make it to OSL (or makes it such that you want to file a claim at OSL), you could be waiting a long time to file the baggage irregularity report there.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:35 am

If you have everything as one item, go for carry on. I have never (in my very many DY-flights) had the weight checked.

Originally Posted by Arsey00
Domestic gates are 1-26, international Schengen are 35-49, Non-Schengen 50-59.

If only carry-on bags: If the ARN-flight arrive at odd-gatenumbers (35-49) you will not need to go through security, just use the transferpoint around gate 42/43.

If you arrive at an even-number-gate you will have to go through security at the very same transferpoint. Short walk to exit Schengen and gates 50-59 (non Schengen gates).

Originally Posted by Arsey00
(Pardon my intrusion)

Would BA to BA on separate tickets be the same? Still exit schengen and to get to checkin? Any differences for nonEU passport holders?

(Thanks, sorry to push in)
OSL do not have non-schengen to non-schengen transfer, so you will have to enter Schengen and pass through security
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Thanks. I have 2 1/2 hours. I'm thinking that should be enough, but I read a 2012 thread about OSL where someone was chided for not allowing 4 hrs for separate tickets...
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
When is this trip? What time of day/day of week?
A Wednesday, mid-March, around 8-9:30am depending on which flight.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A Wednesday, mid-March, around 8-9:30am depending on which flight.
That should be fine, as I can't see that being a major Norwegian holiday traffic day/time this year.

It's the peak school-out and cruise traffic related travel dates where OSL has been sort of a mess (in the pre-10am period) from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.