Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World Traveller... Expectations!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by angatol
I saw that in ba97 as I was transitting LHR the same day as you. I was wondering what you were doing back there with all these sales on!
4 revenue tickets traveling to MIA with two return sectors during Christmas. Booked way back in June as we did not have the luxury of flexing or booking late waiting for sales. At the time it was 2K in Y, 5K in W and 10K in CW... add nearly 4 weeks of hotels, meals, additional flights, transports, car rentals and you get the picture.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by T8191
WT is the perfect cabin for University students.
I am compelled to dissent.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:48 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:20 pm
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:00 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Sorry, you're going to die. If the food does not poison you then the wine will.
A friendly reminder that BA still serves hard booze for free... Just order (double) G&T and problem solved... You will survive
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by TPJ
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Sorry, you're going to die. If the food does not poison you then the wine will.
A friendly reminder that BA still serves hard booze for free... Just order (double) G&T and problem solved... You will survive
Yes as a start and chase it up with a second and voila!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:45 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Great to see you posting on here again Athlete95 (haven't seen you posting in ages!). What you doing in NCL though :P
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
I'm sure red wine will do the trick!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Athlete95
Hi all!

I'm going to be out on the 3-class 777, and 16B/J are available, and on the return from SIN, 81A/K are available in the very small WT cabin at the back of the upper deck of the A380, so seat-wise it's all fine, and with Silver I'll have Fast Track at T5, as well as lounge access.

So what do you guys all think? Anyone experienced WT on the upper deck of the A380?! I have to admit I'm a little put off going as I can't get WT+, but the other half of me is telling myself to get over it!
I'd would definitely NOT take 16 B or J as you can't stretch your legs properly due to the close proximity of the bulkhead and likewise I am 5ft 10.

I was lucky enough to snag 17H to/from Mauritius which is a great seat.

So if that, or 17C, becomes available I'd book them with an aisle opposite as there is no seat on front of 17C or H and therefore allowing you to put a rucksack/bag to rest your feet on. ^

Row 17 on the 3 class 777 also has no window so just for your info.

Definitely row 80 AB or JK on the UD of the A380 (no windows or side bins) but a great trade off for unlimited legroom imo.

However, be aware as I found out on my first trip!, that the overhead bins are much narrower due to the tapering of the fuselage whereas the main UD Y cabin overhead lockers are a bit bigger so my roll on had to go in there.

If you go for the UD main cabin then rows 70 (70 especially)-75 are fine but I wouldn't go further back than that. Personally, I always choose the K side of any aircraft when I can as the aisle is usually less busy (Tip from CIHY)

Seat 25D is a great LD seat if you can snag that and the one next to it or the aisle opposite.

Oh....... you will survive and nice to see you posting again ^
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by angatol
Very similar to me. We booked in June for xmas in MIA, 3 seats in CW ex-FCO for £1200 each. Hotels all on points though. We just got here a few days ago. Got any recommendations for things to do? In Key West at the moment and going up to Orlando in a couple of days.
How old are the kids? Orlando is murder if kids are not the right age.
I seriously recommend KSC at Cape Canaveral, and the Gulf Coast is only 2 hours from Orlando with lovely places such as Naples.

Key West we had enough after 1 day. Nice drive, cool place from a historic perspective but it is quite trashy to be honest.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
I'd would definitely NOT take 16 B or J as you can't stretch your legs properly due to the close proximity of the bulkhead and likewise I am 5ft 10.

I was lucky enough to snag 17H to/from Mauritius which is a great seat.

So if that, or 17C, becomes available I'd book them with an aisle opposite as there is no seat on front of 17C or H and therefore allowing you to put a rucksack/bag to rest your feet on. ^

Row 17 on the 3 class 777 also has no window so just for your info.

Definitely row 80 AB or JK on the UD of the A380 (no windows or side bins) but a great trade off for unlimited legroom imo.

However, be aware as I found out on my first trip!, that the overhead bins are much narrower due to the tapering of the fuselage whereas the main UD Y cabin overhead lockers are a bit bigger so my roll on had to go in there.

If you go for the UD main cabin then rows 70 (70 especially)-75 are fine but I wouldn't go further back than that. Personally, I always choose the K side of any aircraft when I can as the aisle is usually less busy (Tip from CIHY)

Seat 25D is a great LD seat if you can snag that and the one next to it or the aisle opposite.

Oh....... you will survive and nice to see you posting again ^
Thanks for your advice PETER01! I'm definitely going to try and get 80A/K on the A380, I'm going to reserve 81A/K when I book next Friday! I'm considering EK too, as I can fly NCL-DXB and then DXB-BKK. Breaks up the journey a bit, and the return price is £492 compared to BA's £650...

Trying to work out whether or not the lounge access/seat selection + Avios/TP's are worth it!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I usually do WT abroad unfortunetly (although I have been less and less willing ) and as a university student I survive as a Silver. My strategy-

Pre-select the best seats

Check in as much stuff into the hold as possible- hate unnecessary bags

Make sure one has ample time to enjoy the lounge- where one indulges in a suitable amount of alcohol to lessen the pain of being in WT and slightly numb my taste-buds

Go on board and be pleasantly surprised by how good BA are in the back- indulge in the booze and catch up on films through the AVOD- I always try to have a little chat with the crew and tell them how much I enjoy their service (and that usually results in better service for the remainder of the flight)
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:58 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:48 pm
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Economy is economy, most people fly economy and most people survive it.
There are those of us that travel a LOT in economy, such as doing BA16/BA15 several times a month plus lots of other short haul flights (4-6 hours). Now that's when you can complain about economy.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Originally Posted by BA0197
I usually do WT abroad unfortunetly (although I have been less and less willing ) and as a university student I survive as a Silver. My strategy-

...one indulges in a suitable amount of alcohol to lessen the pain...

...indulge in the booze...
I take it you book a (centre block?) aisle seat for easy up & down to the 'facilities'?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Originally Posted by T8191

WT is the perfect cabin for University students.
Wow - when I was but a University student I thought I was doing well travelling by British Rail - all my colleagues were on National Express. No-one travelled by air except with Thomsons to one of the Balearics - from MAN or BHX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.