FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   World Traveller... Expectations! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1640155-world-traveller-expectations.html)

Athlete95 Dec 25, 2014 5:30 pm

World Traveller... Expectations!

Hi all!

I'm planning on going to Thailand/Singapore in March! I've found some very well priced flights with BA for about £600 return (including my feeder flights from NCL). I normally travel WT+ and try and upgrade with Avios to CW, but WT+ is far too expensive to justify for me in this case (around £1500 return). I've not done WT for 6/7 years (only CW) so not really sure what to expect!

I'm going to be out on the 3-class 777, and 16B/J are available, and on the return from SIN, 81A/K are available in the very small WT cabin at the back of the upper deck of the A380, so seat-wise it's all fine, and with Silver I'll have Fast Track at T5, as well as lounge access.

So what do you guys all think? Anyone experienced WT on the upper deck of the A380?! I have to admit I'm a little put off going as I can't get WT+, but the other half of me is telling myself to get over it! :rolleyes:

Jamier45 Dec 25, 2014 5:34 pm

If you can get 16 B&J together it could be a good flight :)

zafiragirl Dec 25, 2014 6:05 pm

I've flown in the rear UD cabin on the A380 in WT 3 times this year and find it very comfortable (at least in comparison with WT seats on the rest of the fleet).

Of course, it's never going to compare with the CW experience (and yes, it hurts to be 6 hours into an 11 hour night flight without a flat bed seat!), but for economy travel it's pretty good. Personal space is better on the Upper deck - the side pairs of seats are nice and the side bins very useful.

Athlete95 Dec 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by zafiragirl (Post 24052657)
I've flown in the rear UD cabin on the A380 in WT 3 times this year and find it very comfortable (at least in comparison with WT seats on the rest of the fleet).

Of course, it's never going to compare with the CW experience (and yes, it hurts to be 6 hours into an 11 hour night flight without a flat bed seat!), but for economy travel it's pretty good. Personal space is better on the Upper deck - the side pairs of seats are nice and the side bins very useful.

It did look very impressive when I looked at photos- especially when comparing it to the abnormally large WT+ cabin on the A380!

Cap'n Benj Dec 26, 2014 12:56 am

Taking WT on holiday is a far easier proposition than on other flights

It will be a bit of a pain, not something to look forward to but certainly not something to fear (unless you're very tall!)

IAN-UK Dec 26, 2014 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Athlete95 (Post 24052541)
...I have to admit I'm a little put off going as I can't get WT+, but the other half of me is telling myself to get over it! :rolleyes:

Your other half is right.

Most passengers are in economy-class. Thousands survive BA long-haul economy every day, most don't get to select their seat and only a few have the status-comforts which make the airport part of the journey easier.

So, yes: get over it! and concentrate on having a good time in Thailand :D.

Stez Dec 26, 2014 3:00 am

Expect nothing Athlete95. ;)

If you have an extra legroom row, such as an non-emergency exit bulkhead seat, stick a sturdy bag on the floor and put your feet up on it.

Avoid eating and go to the galley around 2-3 hours after meal service to get first dibs on the snack bar, if you're lucky, you'll find a Kit Kat. ;)

corporate-wage-slave Dec 26, 2014 3:16 am

Wouldn't it be easier to change your other half?

(Or thinking about it more prosaically, after their first premium cabin experience they may not wish to consider "going back", but that may also not be an easy outcome!).

Petrus Dec 26, 2014 4:32 am

Well... we did two sectors in WT over the last 4 weeks after having not been down the back for 7 years or so. It is not comfortable for sure. However, it is not unbearable either.

That being said:

An exit row is a must if tall. Avoid bulkhead at all cost!
Window is preferable as you can snuggle against the wall.

If you are three or more, always try to secure your own row. It is more practical and you won't share shoulder and elbow room with a total stranger. Any male of common build will rub shoulders, fact.
Outbound we had 2+2 meaning a stranger was in the aisle seat.
Inbound we did 1+3 with solo traveller in 29K for extra legroom. Much better. When in the 2+2 setup there was a real jobsworth in the aisle seat who had a different view on hygiene, common courtesy and decent manners. Over weight did not help.

This is by far the worst part with Economy Travel. You are very much at the mercy of other people as personal space is constrained. After the outbound, we swore to never do this again. After the inbound, we concluded that with the right strategy we'd do it again if absolutely necessary.
As mentioned up thread, we do however still enjoy all the perks of having status at the airport (and on board). Both sectors CSM came up and introduced herself (with many strange looks from other WT pax) and crew where nice and professional.
One of them suggested I drop into Club Kitchen for a snack. I politely declined as I have no business in there on a WT ticket. 5 minutes later she shows up at my seat with a packed goodie bag. Now that is service.

Greenpen Dec 26, 2014 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Athlete95 (Post 24052541)
...... I normally travel WT+ and try and upgrade with Avios to CW......I've not done WT for 6/7 years (only CW) ......

Sorry, you're going to die. If the food does not poison you then the wine will; if neither of those things happen then being trapped in a cattle class seat for hours will give you that blood clotting problem. Upgrading to WT+ might help but there's still a huge risk.

Start shopping at Tesco.

waspsl Dec 26, 2014 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Petrus (Post 24053921)
... After the inbound, we concluded that with the right strategy we'd do it again if absolutely necessary.

I know it's sounds terrible given the amount of people who do not have the choice of cabins but as quoted planning is everything in Y. Also you may find a bargain to be had with a cheap upgrade to WT+ when you check in at the airport :)

T8191 Dec 26, 2014 5:06 am

For clarity:

Athlete95 is young, fit and utterly spoiled through travelling with his parents ;)
His "other half" is the other half of his psyche - he is too young to have an OH.

WT is the perfect cabin for University students. :D

HIDDY Dec 26, 2014 5:29 am

Economy was good enough for me up until I was aged 50.
I hark back to the days when I would get excited flying long haul economy......and it was twice as expensive back then as it is now.

So yes, get a grip and stop bloody whinging. :p

angatol Dec 26, 2014 6:00 am

Athlete95 Dec 26, 2014 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Petrus (Post 24053921)
Well... we did two sectors in WT over the last 4 weeks after having not been down the back for 7 years or so. It is not comfortable for sure. However, it is not unbearable either.

That being said:

An exit row is a must if tall. Avoid bulkhead at all cost!
Window is preferable as you can snuggle against the wall.

If you are three or more, always try to secure your own row. It is more practical and you won't share shoulder and elbow room with a total stranger. Any male of common build will rub shoulders, fact.
Outbound we had 2+2 meaning a stranger was in the aisle seat.
Inbound we did 1+3 with solo traveller in 29K for extra legroom. Much better. When in the 2+2 setup there was a real jobsworth in the aisle seat who had a different view on hygiene, common courtesy and decent manners. Over weight did not help.

This is by far the worst part with Economy Travel. You are very much at the mercy of other people as personal space is constrained. After the outbound, we swore to never do this again. After the inbound, we concluded that with the right strategy we'd do it again if absolutely necessary.
As mentioned up thread, we do however still enjoy all the perks of having status at the airport (and on board). Both sectors CSM came up and introduced herself (with many strange looks from other WT pax) and crew where nice and professional.
One of them suggested I drop into Club Kitchen for a snack. I politely declined as I have no business in there on a WT ticket. 5 minutes later she shows up at my seat with a packed goodie bag. Now that is service.

Where abouts did you travel Petrus? I'm only 5ft 10 so legroom shouldn't be much of an issue. The main thing that I'm concerned about is the length of the flights. To/from DXB/JFK I wouldn't ever hesitate about booking WT, but BKK/SIN are very, very long flights..

I agree with the idea of preparation being very key. That's why, I'm sort of thinking that with such cheap flights, I should just do it. I've done WT+ frequently before and that's always been absolutely fine.