Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which lounge in Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I have used the Pier when connecting onto CX after arriving on the early afternoon BA 380 arrival from LHR. I think it's a very pleasant lounge and the last time Inwas there was not too crowded.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:01 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
I have used the Pier when connecting onto CX after arriving on the early afternoon BA 380 arrival from LHR. I think it's a very pleasant lounge and the last time Inwas there was not too crowded.
And often the BA A380 delivers you right to the doorstep of The Pier via gate 60ish.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:15 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by sxc
And often the BA A380 delivers you right to the doorstep of The Pier via gate 60ish.
You got there just before me.

On my past four A380 flights into HKG (on BA) we have parked up next to The Pier - ideal, as long as you look for the transfer security channel adjacent to the arrival gate, opposed to following signs for Immigration.

M
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
I often travel via HKG and have been to a few of the CX lounges (never to the QF one), but not around breakfast time. Where should I head for breakfast: The Wing (First class) or the QF lounge? Any opinions?

We're flying on the morning HKT flight on KA, so assume we'll be leaving from the satellite terminal (so the Pier will be too far)
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:50 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mzb00
I often travel via HKG and have been to a few of the CX lounges (never to the QF one), but not around breakfast time. Where should I head for breakfast: The Wing (First class) or the QF lounge? Any opinions?

We're flying on the morning HKT flight on KA, so assume we'll be leaving from the satellite terminal (so the Pier will be too far)
QF lounge doesn't open until 9.30am. They don't really have breakfast food save some pastries. CX lounge is better for real breakfast but the wing can be busy in the morning. The Pier won't be as busy.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
QF lounge doesn't open until 9.30am. They don't really have breakfast food save some pastries. CX lounge is better for real breakfast but the wing can be busy in the morning. The Pier won't be as busy.
I think that settles it, 9:30am is going to be too late, so we'll be heading to the Wing. The Pier is my favourite in HKG, but I doubt we'll have the time to trek there and back to head to the 50x gates at the satellite terminal.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Best lounge for kids

Sorry to resurrect a slightly old thread...

Travelling on the BA032 23:30 HKG-LHR tomorrow night in J with wife and two young kids - which lounge would you recommend? Provisionally planning on getting to the airport fairly early (maybe 20:00-21:00 and getting them ready for bed in the lounge)...

I see that the CX Pier lounge has daybed/sleep room, but the Qantas lounge has a "family zone". Which is likely to be better?

Also, slightly OT but does anybody know what the meal service etc is on this flight, and how soon after takeoff the cabin lights are likely to be switched 'off'? Trying to work out whether to keep them awake (although unlikely they will want to eat at that time of night...)

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The Pier is a long walk from the BA gate (I believe that flight 32 is the 380), so that might be a reason to go for a different lounge as does the existence of a family zone in QF. However if you don't mind a walk then The Pier is the best lounge IMO, arguably the best of any airport in the world.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Firemin

Travelling on the BA032 23:30 HKG-LHR tomorrow night in J with wife and two young kids - which lounge would you recommend? Provisionally planning on getting to the airport fairly early (maybe 20:00-21:00 and getting them ready for bed in the lounge)...

I see that the CX Pier lounge has daybed/sleep room, but the Qantas lounge has a "family zone". Which is likely to be better?

Also, slightly OT but does anybody know what the meal service etc is on this flight, and how soon after takeoff the cabin lights are likely to be switched 'off'? Trying to work out whether to keep them awake (although unlikely they will want to eat at that time of night...)

Thanks in advance
I would settle in the QF lounge with the kids. It is a short walk to the gate. I also advise eating in the lounge. It will be well past midnight before you are offered food and in my experience it is a rather rushed affair. The food in the QF lounge is fine.

They try to get the lights off as soon as people have eaten, and then the crew disappear.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:20 am

The Pier is a long walk from the BA gate (I believe that flight 32 is the 380), so that might be a reason to go for a different lounge as does the existence of a family zone in QF. However if you don't mind a walk then The Pier is the best lounge IMO, arguably the best of any airport in the world.
We had our first visit to The Pier last week and I was very impressed.

We were on the 32 and it is a decent walk from the gate, although we used the train to get there and just walked back. Unfortunately we did not have much time in there, but it was worth the trek.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The Pier is a long walk from the BA gate (I believe that flight 32 is the 380), so that might be a reason to go for a different lounge as does the existence of a family zone in QF.
Originally Posted by passy777
We were on the 32 and it is a decent walk from the gate, although we used the train to get there and just walked back.
Just on the practicalities front to add a bit to these replies: I think that BA32 has reverted to normally departing from Gate 15. The QF lounge literally overlooks that gate (although getting down one floor is not quite as straightforward as that).

The train (which you'd take to the end of the terminal where the Pier is located) works a bit like the T5 transit: in the departures stream you can only take it in one direction. The walk back would be something like 15 minutes for an adult who doesn't want to work up a sweat; there are some travelators that will assist in that direction.

The Wing (another CX lounge which is highly thought of by some) is at the end of the terminal closer to BA32's likely departure gate. It is, however, on the other side of the shopping area, so is still a 5-ish minute walk from Gate 15.

I would therefore second stevie's advice, which is to use the QF lounge.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:42 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Firemin

Thanks in advance
The pier daybed area in J is definitely not a kid friendly area. It is meant to be a place people can nap and it is a darkened secluded area.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
if you feel like a bit of different scenaries, I'd go for the Wing and the QF lounge.

The Wing is actually quite good and not that far a walk. the QF lounge is absolutely fine though it's very open and it can be very crowded (think AF also use it) so hard to find a space / doesn't feel most relaxing when it's quite full.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
To go to gate from the qf lounge, u go theu the lounge and exit at the back. The footing of the escalator sends you to gate 16. Much easier than going thru the whole terminal.
and yeh with the kiddies area its a winner
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I personally recomend QF lounge for kids. At the far end of te lounge is the family zone. No one ever goes there (the lounge is simply so big) and after visiting it myself it's a very nice place. It just feels good to be there and there is boarding announcement anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.