Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What impact will the new ECML franchise have on BA to NCL and EDI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What impact will the new ECML franchise have on BA to NCL and EDI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
I would like to see trains in General have a huge impact on BA. I would love to see the new HS2 routed via LHR and BA interlined with those trains with a BA Code on them like Luftwaffe do, both as a way to earn TP's n Avios and a way to get much more long haul options.
This.

Much as we like planes here, trains are best for short hops. The key is single ticketing (and associated protection if you miss the connection).
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the fact that as part of the new franchise, there will be "regular" fast trains from London to Edinburgh with only one intermediate stop, at Newcastle.

http://m.stagecoach.com/media/news-r...014-11-27.aspx

which to me would indicate that they are at least planning on competing with BA on NCL and EDI...
This is effectively a requirement of the franchise, as are 95% of the improvements Virgin and Stagecoach are trumping. It doesn't show Stagecoach/Virgin intention.

Why? Because under the Invitation to Tender, the average journey time KGX-EDB is supposed to be 4h17, but there are also stipulations on minimum calls for "slow" trains. This effectively means that slower trains may take up to 4h30 calling at many stations, leaving the only option to maintain the average journey time to run fast expresses calling only at Newcastle.

You can read just how prescriptive railway franchises are by viewing the documents here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tion-to-tender

The timetable is pretty much written out for the core route, as are most of the improvements the winners of the franchise are shouting about. It's like me purchasing a McDonald's franchise and saying how great the Big Mac I invented is.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the fact that as part of the new franchise, there will be "regular" fast trains from London to Edinburgh with only one intermediate stop, at Newcastle.
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Do they not already have an early morning express from edinburgh
They do have the one express from Edinburgh that calls only at Newcastle, but there is not (I think) currently any other similar service operating southbound or a similar service northbound.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Going OT... but I don't know what's happened to Virgin WCML Wifi, it's now absolutely awful. It was great until about a year ago, and then it went terrible almost overnight.

It doesn't matter how many people are using it, but you get very little coverage from Manchester to London.

I wonder if they changed their supplier? They know about the issues as there is a big red warning sign on the login page.

The Virgin hype a few months ago was that they were installing a new Wifi system that would be free-for-all. However, I'm not sure when or if this will evr materialise.
Hopefully they will improve it soon. I use Virgin between London and North Wales a few times a year to visit family, and whilst the new first class lounge at Euston is good, I'd be more impressed if they managed to have a decent wifi service on-board (and better on-board catering). Still far superior to FGW's offering though.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by GSTBK
I'd be more impressed if they managed to have a decent wifi service on-board (and better on-board catering). Still far superior to FGW's offering though.
It was great until the end of last year. Did Manchester-London every week, and apart from the odd glitch, it worked perfectly.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It was great until the end of last year. Did Manchester-London every week, and apart from the odd glitch, it worked perfectly.
I remember it being great before, but then awful on the couple of trips I took earlier this year. I was hoping it was just me being unlucky, but judging by your comments it's obviously unfortunately a much larger problem.

Last edited by GSTBK; Nov 28, 2014 at 5:28 am Reason: Fixing typo
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by GSTBK
I remember it being geat before, but then awful on the couple of trips I took earlier this year. I was hoping it was just me being unlucky, but judging by your comments it's obviously unfortunately a much larger problem.
It's due to the age of the receiving equipment on the trains. This equipment will be replaced when the new 4G internet arrives on Virgin.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would like to see trains in General have a huge impact on BA.
What harm has BA ever done to you to warrant such a verbal attack?

Even the low cost airlines haven't greatly impacted BA on the Scottish domestic routes.....if anything they did BA a favour by giving them an excuse to shut down those expensive to run bases thus making the routes more profitable.

The rail journey time between LON-EDI would have to come down to below 3 hours in order to attract the high yielding business people who commute between the two cities.
Anyway no matter how good the rail service is connecting passengers aren't going to be interested in jumping on a train to Scotland from LHR unless all flights are grounded due to weather.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
I would like to see trains in General have a huge impact on BA. I would love to see the new HS2 routed via LHR and BA interlined with those trains with a BA Code on them like Luftwaffe do, both as a way to earn TP's n Avios and a way to get much more long haul options.
100% on board with this.

I would like to see as much domestic aviation (and flights to BRU and Paris) transitioned to high speed rail as possible.

This would open up more slots at LHR to long haul, which BA (it would appear) make more cash on anyway.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
I would like to see as much domestic aviation (and flights to BRU and Paris) transitioned to high speed rail as possible.
If the infrastructure were in place, perhaps.

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
This would open up more slots at LHR to long haul, which BA (it would appear) make more cash on anyway.
BA is a business, I don't think they have any obligation to run domestic services if they aren't profitable ...
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
BA is a business, I don't think they have any obligation to run domestic services if they aren't profitable ...
No, but if they didn't run flights from EDI / GLA / BHD they really would become "London Airways" and would push those outside the M25 to overseas airlines - if you are going to have the hassle of getting to London by train and then getting the LHR / LGW, why not fly from a regional airport to BRU / DXB / DUB or wherever, and continue your journey from there?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
No, but if they didn't run flights from EDI / GLA / BHD they really would become "London Airways" and would push those outside the M25 to overseas airlines - if you are going to have the hassle of getting to London by train and then getting the LHR / LGW, why not fly from a regional airport to BRU / DXB / DUB or wherever, and continue your journey from there?
Yes of course. And that is presently a profitable activity. If high speed rail deprives BA of substantial O&D traffic they will have to take a look at the figures and decide if it is worth retreating from the regional markets and leaving them to the Germans, French and Dutch, or whether it remains the best use of the slots to operate a domestic schedule with the changed feed/O&D mix.

I suspect the connecting traffic is not as lean as clarkeysntfc implicitly suggests (certainly on the MAN route I think most folks are connecting), and surrendering it to the foreign operators would be rather unpalatable from a shareholder perspective.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: ABBA
BA are doing a good job at not getting O&D from Manchester. Despite a £400 return fare for today, all the flights had avios availability, and the flight was maybe 40% full, probably less. There were 5 people across the 12 emergency exit seats this morning.

Virgin little red is never this empty.

I was in row 12, so followed a fair few people up the airbridge from A7. Nobody ahead of me went on to the domestic exit.

BA paid for me to fly this £35 + avios return -- it cost them £24 APD and then say £30 Heathrow handling.

Had they charged £150 return I'd have probably bought the ticket, but wanting £400 tells me they aren't interested in O&D. On the other hand they have decimated the MAN schedule over the last 2 years, with no early or late flights, playing havoc with connections to/from certain places.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Clever thread title to allow us to talk about trains in this forum

I'm more concerned what the new Hitachi BR class 800/801 rolling stock will be like when it appears. I love the current BR class 91/ mkIV (aka '225') stock.

The floor level is high to allow for noisy vibrating diesel engines to be fitted under the seats (even on the non-diesel variants). The seat look more 'Spacesaver'-y and don't look as comfortable. Spot the many windowless seats! I'm hoping the overhead racks will fit an IATA wheelie bag sideways.

Some preview photos here:

And article here - http://www.dca-design.com/images/con...s2014_Sept.pdf
Why would underfloor Diesel engines be fitted to electric trains?

JAT
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by JAT74L

Why would underfloor Diesel engines be fitted to electric trains?

JAT
The Class 800 will be an electro-diesel, with both types of traction. Not all of the routes in the East Coast franchise are electrified.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_800

Underfloor diesel engines rarely make for a popular train. They mean vibration when running, as well as higher floor levels from the platform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.