Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What impact will the new ECML franchise have on BA to NCL and EDI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What impact will the new ECML franchise have on BA to NCL and EDI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Will BA launch an open access operator - perhaps called Little East Coast - citing consumer choice on rail routes served by evil uncustomer friendly monopolistic Virgin?
Well we do have Hull Trains as an open access operator catering for the only place you need to travel to from KGX.

It is noticable that Beardy is rather quiet regarding monopolies on rail routes from the north and Scotland to London.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:02 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by layz
I'm not sure how on train WiFi works these days but according to the original GNER promotional materials it was a combination of satellite and 3G meaning that it should still work in mobile dead spots. They also claimed it'd work in tunnels but not sure how that works (except for short tunnels where one end of the train is still outside).
How do you think it works on the Heathrow Express and throughout the Channel Tunnel then?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What you say is true. It's all well and good having these nice booking engines that pull out all these cheap fares, but wasn't it so much nicer when you didn't have to plan ahead, you knew the turn up and go fare was reasonable enough?

Even 10 years ago I thought turn up and go rail was affordable (although it was getting to the stage many disagreed)
One key benefit of Advance tickets restricted to specific services and expensive walk-up tickets is that it dramatically reduces overcrowding.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BOH
How do you think it works on the Heathrow Express and throughout the Channel Tunnel then?
This was in 2002 when GNER launched the WiFi service and although they claimed to work in tunnels it always seemed to drop out.

I know it's possible to get mobile signal in tunnels (they have that on the TW Metro too, and well before 2002 they had reception of certain radio stations in the Tyne Tunnel), but the marketing materials at the time gave the impression that their system could magically work through tunnels, which of course it can't.

Now why can't we get the WiFi on the tube working, just in stations seems rather limited.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Bugger the wifi, they've a big problem with the overhead lines tonight between Retford and Donny with 19 trains stood trying to get North. I'm due on the 06:06 from Newark in the morning, I'm not confident I will be on it.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
All the pricing and revenue management staff will just be transferred over to the new operator*

* = probably
Definitely. They will be TUPE'd over. Only very senior management and directors will not be TUPE'd.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer

Secondly, how do you get more revenue from finding timetabling efficiencies?
Firstly, there is ORCATS to consider, which is essentially a method for divvying up who gets what percentage of money from a non-operator specific ticket where more than one company can in theory operate the journey. Example: you buy an Off Peak Single from London to York, Any Permitted route. You can take an East Coast train, or a Grand Central train (there are a handful a day).

ORCATS works by "guessing" how many passengers will take a certain service based on a number of factors like train frequency and available seats. Because East Coast operate 95% of the seats between York and London, they'll get 95% of the fare. (Numbers illustrative only)

If you can timetable trains to operate more seats between key destinations, you can argue for a higher share or interavailable revenue.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:59 pm

I think the free WiFi is just a 'quick win' to say they're offering something that East Coast didn't.
It is a condition of the franchise, so mandatory for whichever company won. Not a Virgin or Stagecoach idea!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Will BA launch an open access operator - perhaps called Little East Coast - citing consumer choice on rail routes served by evil uncustomer friendly monopolistic Virgin?
It would be a brilliant idea. Sadly there are no train paths available to make it a reality. Grand Central recently had an extension to their Track Access Agreement which leaves the ECML south of Doncaster pretty much log-jammed.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I'm not sure how on train WiFi works these days but according to the original GNER promotional materials it was a combination of satellite and 3G meaning that it should still work in mobile dead spots. They also claimed it'd work in tunnels but not sure how that works (except for short tunnels where one end of the train is still outside).
This is one of the current providers (for Virgin on the West Coast).

New operators always get credit for new trains, not sure if it's lazy reporting or just wanting to keep things simple.
None of the train operators own their own trains - they are all leased. Therefore when Virgin say that they are investing in new trains on the west coast main line, they're not, they are paying the lease rental for the remainder of their franchise. Now, to be fair, some bidders may talk to the rolling stock companies about future plans, but they don't buy new trains themselves.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
I would like to see trains in General have a huge impact on BA. I would love to see the new HS2 routed via LHR and BA interlined with those trains with a BA Code on them like Luftwaffe do, both as a way to earn TP's n Avios and a way to get much more long haul options.

But there again, that will not happen as no government in this country will ever come up with an integrated transport policy
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
This is one of the current providers (for Virgin on the West Coast).
Going OT... but I don't know what's happened to Virgin WCML Wifi, it's now absolutely awful. It was great until about a year ago, and then it went terrible almost overnight.

It doesn't matter how many people are using it, but you get very little coverage from Manchester to London.

I wonder if they changed their supplier? They know about the issues as there is a big red warning sign on the login page.

The Virgin hype a few months ago was that they were installing a new Wifi system that would be free-for-all. However, I'm not sure when or if this will evr materialise.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The Virgin hype a few months ago was that they were installing a new Wifi system that would be free-for-all. However, I'm not sure when or if this will evr materialise.
It will be 4G WiFi and it is a condition of the DfT extension to their WCML franchise, so it will happen, or they'll be heavily fined.

Again, not a Virgin idea, it's the Government's... but Virgin will take the credit, as usual.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the fact that as part of the new franchise, there will be "regular" fast trains from London to Edinburgh with only one intermediate stop, at Newcastle.

Vastly improved timetable introduced from May 2019 featuring faster services, new direct services and improved weekend services
Regular weekday services between Edinburgh and London in just 4 hours, calling only at Newcastle, a journey time improvement of around 20 minutes compared with most of the fastest trains today
http://m.stagecoach.com/media/news-r...014-11-27.aspx

which to me would indicate that they are at least planning on competing with BA on NCL and EDI...
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Do they not already have an early morning express from edinburgh or was that canned ( yes i watched some tv recently...). That service had to take business from ba. Regular could simply mean once a day, just like making sure your fibre intake is good....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.