Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by rujamajoco
Admittedly my last two weeks have been at 6am Monday morning, but even at other times I have been equally frustrated. And why can't my Gold Card entitle me to use the Concorde Room shortcut to the lounge? I don't need the extra 200 metres past the shops in a u turn! Getting grumpy in my old age!
There is no 'Concorde Room Shortcut' - there is just the Concorde Room, which has two entrances, and which as a gold card holder you are not entitled to enter.

Don't become one of 'those people' we listen out for, berating the staff outside the white door!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:26 am

So I emailed BAA
BAA?

Palmer
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Senator, Skywards, BA Executive Club Gold
BAA owns Heathrow airport . British Airports Authority. I certainly don't berate the staff at the door of the Concorde Room, I simply meant there could be a short cut made in that direction. Never been in the Concorde room but I know it goes onto the same landing as the lounge at the other side. I am usually the most laid back of travellers, but the silliness of these security changes just wound me up.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
BAA owns Heathrow airport . British Airports Authority.
It hasn't been 'British Airports Authority' since being privatised in 1987, and 'BAA' hasn't owned Heathrow for several years now.

LHR is owned and operated by Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL), part of Heathrow Airport Holdings Limited, which is itself owned by a number of other companies.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Genius1
It hasn't been 'British Airports Authority' since being privatised in 1987, and 'BAA' hasn't owned Heathrow for several years now.

LHR is owned and operated by Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL), part of Heathrow Airport Holdings Limited, which is itself owned by a number of other companies.
There is a tendency for BA staff at Heathrow to blame "BAA" for everything, even when (as Genius1) points out it hasn't existed for some years.

The Fasttrack debacle is more complex anyway, in that (as I understand) BA refuses to engage sensibly with HAL on the commercial terms for the Fasttrack facilities in T5, such that Fasttrack ends up being no-one's ultimate responsibility. It's all a bit of a mess.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:32 pm

I found that the new fast track works really when its not busy
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I'd wager rents for shops by the bottom of the escalators are higher on the grounds that they're en route to the F lounge. Of course, those actually flying F don't have to pass them...
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be curious to find out that if BA somehow decided to allow GCH to use the CCR entrance whether they would be "entitled" to based on any agreements with BAA.

I was quite surprised to hear that people actually buy stuff in T5- of course they must be otherwise it wouldn't have any shops but I have never found a deal that wasn't replicable online or even on the High Street and that goes for the fancy clothes too.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Smile

I have found Heathrow Security a joke apart from at 5am in the morning when it is ok. On my last visit at the end of February tbere was only 1 machine working in fast track and it was exactly the opposite of that. I sent in some feedback and asked why it was always a shambles and what was the purpose of the second boarding card scan at t5 and asked why T3 Fast track was so much better and got the response that the second boarding card scanner is needed in T5 as domestic flights go from there.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Mar 24, 2015 at 4:19 pm Reason: sp
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
And why can't my Gold Card entitle me to use the Concorde Room shortcut to the lounge?
Because the CCR shouldn't become a thoroughfare for people in other lounges. I agree though, that whoever designed the long traipse downstairs, back on yourself and then back upstairs is an idiot. It can be quite irritating at best.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:28 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I passed through FT security a week past on Saturday about 14:00hrs. Although it wasn't busy there were a few hold ups. One of the problems which I heard the security personnel commenting on was the design of the conveyer which can lead to trays being jammed if a bag strap overspills the tray and was unfortunate to see it happen. The security staff find it hard to release said stuck tray holding up everything behind.

Along with that, there were at least 8 trays on the secondary check belt with one person doing the secondaries. Luckily my bags/stuff stayed on the normal belt but a couple of wisened age were sitting on the seats waiting for their trays to be re-checked and by the conversation I overheard between Mr & Mrs they had been waiting for some time and were by their own admission not FF's.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:02 am

Fast Track in T5

Morning everyone.

Since what we call parallel loading has been installed in T5 Fast Track there has been a sustained 20% plus increase in the number of passengers processed per hour by any metric you want to pick (mean, median, 95th percentile or peak).

Queue times for those lanes (based on the wait time to security which I appreciate isn't the metric some of you would choose to measure us on but the CAA does.) are generally superior to those around with a higher proportion of passengers waiting under five minutes. This is based on hundreds of thousands of those secondary scans.

We appreciate the concern about the lack of queuing space and we have removed two of the loading bays that were not being used and increased the available queuing space in that area. We've not looked at the raw queue times since that change was made but I may post a very brief summary when I can.

The process for overflow is that the purple agents now how many passengers make up a five minute queue and should flow excess passengers to lanes 2 and 3 (or 1). Admittedly this was easier before the hoarding came down and there was a roped off channel for this but the route is now obstructed.

We are also aware that the problem with reducing x-ray starvation (which is the reason that the new loading bays drive improved flow) is that we need more space at the back, which we have allowed for. It does mean that we have enabled a potential for a longer wait for a reject bag. Previously that wait time would have been shared out amongst more passengers. We are very conscious that the increasing the speed passengers we serve who don't activate archway or require a secondary search is no consolation if you are pulled over and have to wait for a bag search and your experience then isn't much different to what is was before. It is very much top of the agenda for what next in T5.

The Happy or Not podium (the happy or sad faces buttons) has seen an increase in satisfied passengers since they were installed, controlling for the time of year and other factors.

Last edited by FTLHR; Mar 25, 2015 at 11:21 am Reason: pronoun confusion
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I use the parallel loading lanes - which are now in both North and South - since I think they are faster, particularly if you know what you are doing. So I actively seek them out, even if it is not Fast Track. I have not had a long wait now at T5 security for quite a while now. You can spot these lanes by the black plastic side separators, dividing up the tray areas into 4 places, and since there are 2 lanes that means 8 spots to unload.

The point about keeping the contents inside the trays is indeed important, if the belt gets stuck in the middle they have to fish it out using a metal pole and it's not very elegant. Coats and overhanging the side of the tray are the danger here.

The issue of getting a gap in the queue of trays is easily addressed by smiling at and maintaining friendly eye contact with the agent feeding the trays through, s/he will usually hold back a tray for you to slide your tray through.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by FTLHR
Morning everyone.

Since what we call parallel loading has been installed in T5 Fast Track there has been a sustained 20% plus increase in the number of passengers processed per hour by any metric you want to pick (mean, median, 95th percentile or peak).

Queue times for those lanes (based on the wait time to security which I appreciate isn't the metric some of you would choose to measure us on but the CAA does.) are superior to those around with a higher proportion of passengers waiting under five minutes. This is based on hundreds of thousands of those secondary scans.

We appreciate the concern about the lack of queuing space and we have removed two of the loading bays that were not being used and increased the available queuing space in that area. I've not looked at the raw queue times since that change was made but I will post a very brief summary when I can.

The process for overflow is that the purple agents now how many passengers make up a five minute queue and should flow excess passengers to lanes 2 and 3 (or 1). Admittedly this was easier before the hoarding came down and there was a roped off channel for this but the route is now obstructed.

We are also aware that the problem with reducing x-ray starvation (which is the reason that the new loading bays drive improved flow) is that we need more space at the back, which we have allowed for. It does mean that we have enabled a potential for a longer wait for a reject bag. Previously that wait time would have been shared out amongst more passengers. We are very conscious that the increasing the speed passengers we serve who don't activate archway or require a secondary search is no consolation if you are pulled over and have to wait for a bag search and your experience then isn't much different to what is was before. It is very much top of the agenda for what next in T5.

The Happy or Not podium (the happy or sad faces buttons) has seen an increase in satisfied passengers since they were installed, controlling for the time of year and other factors.
Gosh, that's actually really interesting. It's good to know that things are actually being monitored and changes will be made (eventually) where failings are noticed.

Please continue to feed back to us as we all too often feel like no one loves us
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BasilBush
The Fasttrack debacle is more complex anyway, in that (as I understand) BA refuses to engage sensibly with HAL on the commercial terms for the Fasttrack facilities in T5, such that Fasttrack ends up being no-one's ultimate responsibility. It's all a bit of a mess.
This wouldn't or doesn't surprise me. However, to most of the travelling public going through T5 they'll just blame BA because that is the dominant airline. I stopped counting the number of times I have heard people complain about BA on an issue which is clearly the responsibility of the airport operator.

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.