Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:58 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:10 am
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The point of the thread is that LHR T5 security is often the mess it; and amongst the reasons it is the mess that it is: the War on Water and other harmless liquids/gels/aerosols. There are some differences in which passengers are subjected to the War on Water and how passengers are subjected to the War on Water -- and it varies by country and airports and passenger type -- but the War on Water and other harmless L/G/As continue at LHR and various other airports (MUC included) and slows things down more than would otherwise be the case at the screening checkpoints. The way LHR screeners have waged the War on Water at T5 helps to make the T5 security screening process the mess that it is.
I rest my case
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
AFAIK US CBP can direct secondary security searches?
I don't have any evidence to suggest that is correct in the context of preclearance posts. It is likely to be true in the US itself where CBP officers are fully-fledged law enforcement officers with powers of arrest etc. In Ireland, they can conduct or direct customs searches; if they believe a passenger has an item which is a security risk but not a customs risk, they have no right to do anything other than detain the passenger pending the arrival of a Garda.
Right of action against Ireland isn't really relevant when action will have been taken by US Govt employees?
You said:
where passengers have no right of appeal to any decisions made.
I pointed out that they have the right of appeal to the Irish courts, albeit with compensation being met by Ireland – unless they have waived the right, which you do by applying for entry under the Visa Waiver Program.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You do completely miss the point, don't you?
I don't think anyone has ever got very far in attempting to explain The Point, or at least anything beyond "CYA"

Is it that when the first aircraft is deliberately and mysteriously flooded with water at 38,000' inbound to the UK, and all pax drown, it's not our problem as they were screened outside the UK, so tick in box for the DfT goons and our brave security screeners?

Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I don't think anyone has ever got very far in attempting to explain The Point, or at least anything beyond "CYA"

Is it that when the first aircraft is deliberately and mysteriously flooded with water at 38,000' inbound to the UK, and all pax drown, it's not our problem as they were screened outside the UK, so tick in box for the DfT goons and our brave security screeners?

This really is nonsense. Take away the screening (or the 'theatre' as you like to call it) and see how long it is before some fanatical idiot manages to down a plane.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Blue
North Security was quiet just now. Only two people ahead of me, and it still took 10 minutes to get through. No trays had been returned so there were none for me to put my stuff in. And then they took ages screening the stuff going through.

Meh.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
I pointed out that they have the right of appeal to the Irish courts, albeit with compensation being met by Ireland – unless they have waived the right, which you do by applying for entry under the Visa Waiver Program.
is that the purpose of the section? It seems to me to indemnify US agents for breaches of Irish law and then creates a right of action against the Irish State in lieu of against the officer. I don't think it is intended to provide a remedy for procedural failings of US Customs and Immigration on admissions decisions, rather to provide some relief if they assault you!

Also, the enactment doesn't say you can waive or otherwise your right to rely on that provision, which would seem to me a higher authority for the Irish courts than an administrative decision of US CPB. It also provides a passenger may withdraw his intention to travel at any time and leave the preclearance area, unless he is already detained.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:38 am

This really is nonsense. Take away the screening (or the 'theatre' as you like to call it) and see how long it is before some fanatical idiot manages to down a plane.
How many BA pax use the bus, the train, or the tube to get to LHR each day?

Can anyone remind me what the current DfT screening rules are for pax boarding a bus/train/tube in LON? I felt sure I read the only liquid that was banned was ethanol, not water
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stifle
I don't have any evidence to suggest that is correct in the context of preclearance posts. It is likely to be true in the US itself where CBP officers are fully-fledged law enforcement officers with powers of arrest etc. In Ireland, they can conduct or direct customs searches; if they believe a passenger has an item which is a security risk but not a customs risk, they have no right to do anything other than detain the passenger pending the arrival of a Garda.
Even at CBP PreClearance facilities, there are items and persons that are a security risk and an immigration or "customs" risk.

Passengers (and their belongings) may be subject to secondary screenings in gate areas at CBP PreClearance facilities, with those screenings possibly conducted by CBP .... even if CBP had earlier cleared them/the belongings at the primary PreClearance checkpoint .... even if the passenger had only admissible belongings and owes no customs duty.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
How many BA pax use the bus, the train, or the tube to get to LHR each day?

Can anyone remind me what the current DfT screening rules are for pax boarding a bus/train/tube in LON? I felt sure I read the only liquid that was banned was ethanol, not water
The bus is irrelevant and water is not banned as you well know. This is a silly, futile argument which is becoming rather boring. Thank goodness those responsible for dictating airport security policy don't have such simplistic views on passenger safety.

I'm outta here.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Surprised no one has posted: T5 security is a total disaster!

On a lighter note, T5 flight connections was empty tonight at 6.40pm. 15 mins from leaving a/c at C gates to being through security again in A.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
The bus is irrelevant and water is not banned as you well know. This is a silly, futile argument which is becoming rather boring. Thank goodness those responsible for dictating airport security policy don't have such simplistic views on passenger safety.

I'm outta here.
Well, anyone whose lives were touched by the bombings in London on the 7th July 2005 will disagree strongly that this argument is futile. Society is willing to forgo security for the sake of convenience on the Underground (because the hassle of 10 minute security waits on so many journeys is deemed a bad cost/benefit), and yet is unwilling to even discuss whether there is "too much" security at an airport.

Frankly I think it's absurd we allow anyone with a 40kilo rucksack packed with explosives unscreened on to a crowded rush hour tube train with 500 pax on board, yet we absolutely won't let him take an evian on an easyjet flight. I'm not advocating either extreme position, but there's a glaring inconsistency.

PS: Yes I know my example about the rush tube tube train is absurd - of course there's no room for any bag on the central line at peak hours, regardless of what's in it...
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:07 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by chris1979
On a lighter note, T5 flight connections was empty tonight at 6.40pm. 15 mins from leaving a/c at C gates to being through security again in A.
Yes It was a breeze yesterday; I managed to go landside for 10 minutes of fresh air on a 75 min connection. The Fast Track at South Security took me less than one minute.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even at CBP PreClearance facilities, there are items and persons that are a security risk and an immigration or "customs" risk.

Passengers (and their belongings) may be subject to secondary screenings in gate areas at CBP PreClearance facilities, with those screenings possibly conducted by CBP .... even if CBP had earlier cleared them/the belongings at the primary PreClearance checkpoint .... even if the passenger had only admissible belongings and owes no customs duty.
This may be true in Canada. It is not true in Ireland. Security and enforcement of Irish law is a matter for the Garda.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I don't think anyone is suggesting taking screening away, they are suggesting that being screened once correctly is enough and that much of what goes on at T5 flight connections is nothing more than a job creation exercise (or theatre).
Why, when a mystery item is spotted on the scanner, is the result clearly retaliation by the security numpties, with every single item taken out of a bag atom by atom at the deliberately slowest possible speed (with tea-breaks), and scanned individually? That has nothing to do with security, but everything to do with inconveniencing passengers. At all other airports, mystery items are cleared and that's it. That's why it's theatre and not security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.