Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by matthandy
Must have just missed you.
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Happily located in the breakfast area of T5 GF (well, as happy as possible at this time of the morning).. Arrived at 5.50am, didn't like the look of the tensabarriers outside south security, but pressed on through Fast Track and found.... no queue.... The new area was working well and I must have been through in 5 minutes or even less. Was quite concerned having read this thread
Originally Posted by manymany
Agreed, came through the same around 5:30am. However people were not moving their trays at the end so backed up quickly. I moved about 6 or 7 to help keep it flowing. I tried saying something but they just walked off in their own world!
Was through at around the same time as you all - around 0540hrs. The new Galleries South scanners had queues coming out of the portioned area, so I gave up and walked round in the Fast Track tensa barrier lane through to scanner 2 (scanners 2 & 3 were working for Fast Track, with 1 not on) ... in and through in a shade over 5 minutes. The new scanners will have to wait until after Christmas.

The big issue I had is the scanners - was wearing exactly the same suit, cufflinks and shoes as last week (pockets empty, similar shirt - but no metal) and this week the scanner went off and I got the full pat down. Bit of a joke all in all.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:30 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:52 pm
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by angatol
The metal detectors are set to randomly activate even if they don't detect anything. No doubt at T5 they're on the maximimum possible activation setting.
I like the PRG approach to metal detector activation!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:40 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
The metal detectors are set to randomly activate even if they don't detect anything. No doubt at T5 they're on the maximimum possible activation setting.
I do wonder if they've adopted a similar policy for the x-ray scanners too. So you're then faced with the below likelihood of delays

A - % chance you've left something metallic on your person (let's assume 100% detection for simplicity )
B - % chance of being randomly selected by scanner (assuming it only randomises those that don't trigger it)
C - % chance you've left something prohibited in your bag
D - % chance something in your bag looks suspicious
E - % chance your bag just gets randomly selected

Chances of getting through scanner unmolested: (1-A) x (1-B) = G
Chances of bag getting through w/o secondary screening: (1-C) x (1-D) x (1-E) = H

As G and H are independent (ignoring likelihood that someone silly enough to wear watch through archway is probably the sort of person who doesn't remove liquids etc...) that gives G x H as the overall probability of an easy security experience

Filling in some randomish numbers:

A - I'm very well behaved, call it 3%
B - call it 10%
So G is 87.3% (97% x 90%)

C - let's say 8% (sometimes there's a stray item)
D - these days seems to run at 20%
E - let's say 10%
So H is 92% x 80% x 90%, or 66.2%

So G x H is about 58%, not very comforting...
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Despite being "clean", I have frequently been subjected to extra screening by the nice people at Premium Gatwick. Conversation usually goes something like "I assume that's just a random ping?" "Yes, Sir, we have no control over when it does that."
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Which is?

I also got a random activation at FCO. It seems they've changed the procedure there and I was frisked. I was shocked! Usually I just get to take off whatever caused it and try again and I've never had a random activation before (definitely no metal).
In PRG they just say "do you have any metal on you?" if you say no they just ask you to go through again "but try walking a bit faster".
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by layz
In PRG they just say "do you have any metal on you?" if you say no they just ask you to go through again "but try walking a bit faster".
Of course there are no direct PRG-LHR flights, so LON Is Perfectly Safe
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I do wonder if they've adopted a similar policy for the x-ray scanners too. So you're then faced with the below likelihood of delays

A - % chance you've left something metallic on your person (let's assume 100% detection for simplicity )
B - % chance of being randomly selected by scanner (assuming it only randomises those that don't trigger it)
C - % chance you've left something prohibited in your bag
D - % chance something in your bag looks suspicious
E - % chance your bag just gets randomly selected

Chances of getting through scanner unmolested: (1-A) x (1-B) = G
Chances of bag getting through w/o secondary screening: (1-C) x (1-D) x (1-E) = H

As G and H are independent (ignoring likelihood that someone silly enough to wear watch through archway is probably the sort of person who doesn't remove liquids etc...) that gives G x H as the overall probability of an easy security experience

Filling in some randomish numbers:

A - I'm very well behaved, call it 3%
B - call it 10%
So G is 87.3% (97% x 90%)

C - let's say 8% (sometimes there's a stray item)
D - these days seems to run at 20%
E - let's say 10%
So H is 92% x 80% x 90%, or 66.2%

So G x H is about 58%, not very comforting...
Close but in T5 S in past 90 days it's just over 5% points higher

You've overestimated the size of G and underestimated H.

Can't go into details in public but A and B are both higher in general population.

C + D (as they are same net result to you and the operation) is slightly high, depends on how many trays you have anyway. Eg: 10% of trays could get rejected but most pax have 2 so value of C+D would be 19%

E is a ratio of the population (1-C)*(1-D) not of whole population.

Would also question that G and H are independent, I also would say that chances of passenger's 2nd tray being compliant if first wasn't are lower.

Regardless, the values of A, C+D and E vary a lot depending on time of day, day of week and time of year!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

As G and H are independent (ignoring likelihood that someone silly enough to wear watch through archway is probably the sort of person who doesn't remove liquids etc...)
Neither of us ever remove our watches and we are very rarely if ever pulled over. It never happens in US airports and only happens at T5 if they have set the metal detection arch sensitivity to high. We both went through T5 last week three times in 3 days wearing a watch with no problems. We did take our liquids out as Heathrow seems fixated about liquids. At every US airport since then JFK,LAX and HNL we have worn our watches and not taken the liquids out and have had no issues. I guess by your assertion we must be lucky and silly.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We strip watches, my money clip, and everything that could make the machine go 'ping'. They all have their places in our carryons at screening.

I'm glad I didn't buy iWife a lot of jewellery ... we got stuck behind an African lady at IAD who must have been wearing 1kg of metal
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: ABBA
The more trays you split into, the less chance of being pulled over for having too many wires, but the more chance you have of being pulled over for random time-wasting.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by T8191

I'm glad I didn't buy iWife a lot of jewellery ...

Is this one of those new Apple accessories that come with the ipad? Sounds pricey....
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by layz
One thing you should know when reading these forums is not to bother with that train! Think of the tunnels as the exclusive F transfer channel

You can walk through and beat the crowds waiting for the train.
LOL

I actually DID think about walking via the tunnels but not until I got to the train platform and then I didn't have a clue where to go to find the secret entrance

I really do want to have a go at walking but I'm nervous I'll end up in some maintenance boiler room or something and then get arrested for trespass.

Perhaps we could have a "tunnel meet up" thread - a bit like the lounge meet up one but with kind souls offering the tunnel virgins a guided tour before departure?

Meanwhile, back at security screening - I never ever remove my jewellery at any airport. Bangle, bracelet, watch, necklace, 2 rings and earrings. All stay on and I haven't "pinged" for ages. I wear underwired bras and they don't trip the sensors either.

I still believe it is entirely random screening when the machine pings and that the metal detectors aren't that sensitive. Have been selected for secondary bag screening just one all year.

Go me!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly Baby
Perhaps we could have a "tunnel meet up" thread - a bit like the lounge meet up one but with kind souls offering the tunnel virgins a guided tour before departure?
Mme. Fly Baby, your wish is CWS's command.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.