Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex-EU: what happens if BA cancel the outbound flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-EU: what happens if BA cancel the outbound flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by simons1
Just because something is in a BA contract it doesn't make it law.
< bangs head against wall and retreats to the relative safety of real work >
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Equally going he day before is fine as you have said. However, the OP's friend was doing neither of those things so left themselves in a very precarious position.
Going the day before is not an absolute either. I thought I was ok going to Milan the evening before, even returning on the same aircraft the following day. As it transpired, an accident on the M25 meant I arrived at Heathrow with only 50 minutes to spare. Then, thunderstorms over LHR led to many cancellations. Fortunately, although I left 3 hours late, and got to my Milan hotel at 2am, I did make the 7am return back to LHR. Had the evening flight been cancelled, it would have been a real ball ache negotiating the rest of my trip as the OP had.

My advice for going the previous day would be not to travel on the last flight of the day.

Don't get me started on the flight back to Milan at the end of the trip where I had also left a 3 hour gap in Milan for a break only to find that the thunderstorms were still causing delays and the flight from LHR 3 hours after mine (and hence my return) actually left LHR 45 minutes before I did. Although the Purser tried talking to the ground staff in Milan, I still had to catch the bus, go through immigration, back through security, back through passport check and onto the gate. Fortunately, the captain had informed his colleague to wait and having a bus to myself, the door closed behind me.

Back to backs for me from now on.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Just because something is in a BA contract it doesn't make it law.
Popcorn at the ready!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Look at the first post in that thread. I don't read that as being one random agent making up policy on the hoof, I read it as close as dammit to an official statement on OW policy (the reply comes from "VP Membership and Customer Experience") ?

Of course if it is OW policy, it certainly suits many OW airlines - BA included - not to publish it, which is probably why they haven't.
So, there is an alliance-wide policy to "through check-in passengers on separate tickets". All OW airlines adhere to that policy. There is nothing in the reply to the effect that it is a OW policy to re-book in the event of a disruption.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes, of course - I'm not going to start writing a treatise on an IBB on all the ins and outs. But it is the basic position from which all the other variations (including notably the overlaid statutory EU protection) are based.
With due respect, Globaliser, when you suggest that there is no obligation on BA to carry you to your destination on time, it seems to me that you are very far from stating "the basic position" and your statement would be just about as accurate as stating that Khartoum is the capital of the USA. There is a very clear obligation on BA to carry you to destination on time under the Montreal Convention and a very clear obligation on BA to make good the damage resulting from its failure to do so unless it can demonstrate that it was out of its control to do anything about it.

The "basic position", as you put it, is exactly the reverse of what you suggest: the basic position is that a carrier is in principle under a duty to carry you to your destination on time.

As I said, I believe that BA has policies in place about this. I've benefited from them myself. That goes a long way to explaining why the issue rarely arises - and, it seems, is even more rarely not resolved satisfactorily - in practice.
... and could it be, perish the thought!, that those policies could conceivably be adopted with consideration to the potential legal liability of BA were those policies not in place...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
So, there is an alliance-wide policy to "through check-in passengers on separate tickets". All OW airlines adhere to that policy. There is nothing in the reply to the effect that it is a OW policy to re-book in the event of a disruption.
Err... did you see the penultimate sentence?

"Once a passenger is through-checked, that passenger is provided protection in the event of a flight disruption, even if the passenger has chosen to purchase separate tickets"
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:19 am

Err... did you see the penultimate sentence?

"Once a passenger is through-checked, that passenger is provided protection in the event of a flight disruption, even if the passenger has chosen to purchase separate tickets"
Yes, I did... I don't read it as a OW policy (such as the one specifically outlined in the beginning of the answer with regard to through check-in). As I mentioned before, there is nothing in that sentence to suggest that it is a OW policy. AA may think that once a passenger is through checked in he or she is protected but a different OW member may think differently (that through check-in is for convenience of getting the bags tags etc.).

I am not saying that I think that this policy (of not re-booking passengers) makes sense, especially within same alliance, but I would rather rely on something that I know is an official policy and plan accordingly.

Last edited by Andriyko; Oct 30, 2014 at 5:30 am
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Yes, I did... I don't read it as a OW policy (such as the one specifically outlined in the beginning of the answer with regard to through check-in). As I mentioned before, there is nothing in that sentence to suggest that it is a OW policy.
If one writes to OW to ask about their policy, and those are the words they use in their response, one could be forgiven for assuming it is a statement of their policy!

AA may think that once a passenger is through checked in he or she is protected but a different OW member may think differently (that through check-in is for convenience of getting the bags tags etc.).
The OP in that thread contacted OW directly, not AA. What's AA got to do with that quote?

I am not saying that I think that this policy (of not re-booking passengers) makes sense, especially within same alliance, but I would rather reply on something that I know is an official policy and plan accordingly.
On this we agree completely ^
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
So in order of risk, what options do people have?

If I leave 2 days I guess it would have to be pretty catastrophic events to get in the way?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by oyster

If I leave 2 days I guess it would have to be pretty catastrophic events to get in the way?
It is hard for me to imagine that BA or another OW airline will leave a passenger stranded in the event of a delay/cancellation. This is also unofficially confirmed by agents. The only problem I would have is that when travelling on the same ticket the airline will be required by law to reroute the passenger as soon as possible, while travelling on 2 separate tickets leaves one in the mercy of the airline in terms of a potential waiting time, class of service, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:42 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:32 am
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by oyster

That's what I've started doing and we've had some very enjoyable short breaks in European cities we wouldn't otherwise have visited. Had a couple of nights in Dusseldorf earlier this month and was pleasantly surprised by it. Of course, you need to have the time to do it but I find that I'm more ready for the long haul than when I used to do short overnights or same-day connections.

As you say, the likelihood of connection problems is more or less totally eliminated.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:11 am

If one writes to OW to ask about their policy, and those are the words they use in their response, one could be forgiven for assuming it is a statement of their policy!
The thing is if I am ever in a situation where I have to purchase 2 separate tickets I will rely upon information I receive from those who will eventually provide the service. AA has an official policy of looking after passengers who get misconnected from/to other OW flights. BA has no such policy (at least they neither publish nor advise of it when asked). As much as I believe that someone from OW stated that such a policy existed alliance-wide, I would still be inclined to act on the basis of what BA tells me. And what BA says is that separate tickets are separate contracts and they owe nothing, but they can't imagine (nor can I) that I won't get help. This "we can't imagine that you won't get help" just does not sound like a promise to me. But this may just be the way I am.
It is similar to lounge access when OW says one thing but then the airline says that it is a third party lounge or whatever and access is denied.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:15 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:30 pm
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by angatol
Perhaps you shouldn't make statements such as: "there is nothing in that sentence to suggest that it is a OW policy" then, if you had no intention in making such an assertion?
Well, it was not a statement but rather my reading of the answer.
I see 2 policies here - 1) through check-in on separate tickets, 2) treating pax on separate tickets as if they were travelling on a single ticket. The answer does state that there is a policy that passengers should be checked-in through to the destination, however I read the next part as an interpretation of one of the benefits of such a policy (that pax are protected). I admit that someone else may read it differently, but I read it this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.