Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAS lounge - tipping expected?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by layz
Is it OK to ask for change when tipping in the US? Arrive with only high dollar notes and someone at the hotel offers to take your bag, you feel a bit cheap asking for change of a $20, which is why I normally pop into a small shop at the airport before getting in a taxi to make sure I have small dollar bills which can be used for quick tips.
Originally Posted by pianotraveller
The difficulty is where there's no 'fee' involved, but just a tip as in the case of a hotel porter carrying your bags to the room. Is it ok to ask for change from a $20 bill in that scenario? I think I'd feel a bit self conscious...
It's never impolite to directly ask if the person you're tipping can break a bill for you, as you intend to give some of it back to them. Don't directly hand them a bill, asking for a certain amount back, though, unless it's part of a larger transaction, such as a taxi fare. Let them give you the full amount back, then tip from the change.

Expect some smaller bills in the mix. I draw the line at only getting 4 $5 bills back for a 20, since that would imply they expected at least $5 for their tip, and I've let the person know I'm unhappy with their change making ability the few times that's happened.

N.B. Next time you want to have a cow over how much tip money is collected in the U.S., ask a Skycap to break a bill, then watch as the fist-size roll of cash appears from his pocket. Forewarned is forearmed, so your jaw doesn't hit the pavement.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Wow - for a quick question, which was answered in minutes, I wasn't expecting to generate this much discussion!!!

FWIW - I am currently sat in the LAS lounge (an improvement over the last one, but still small, lacking in comfy seats and windows), and did just put a tip in the jar.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:07 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:34 am
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by angatol
Any thread that mentions tipping, ultimately results in multi-page rants like this unfortunately.
To be honest, I do not really have the impression that the tone is a ranting one (especially by our forum's standards whereby actual rants are not rare).
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by fripperies
Of course they know why you want to change your million pfstycz note into ten 1000,000 pfstycz notes.
If I send you a fifty pound note would you mind splitting it into ten £50 notes for me?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Expect some smaller bills in the mix. I draw the line at only getting 4 $5 bills back for a 20, since that would imply they expected at least $5 for their tip, and I've let the person know I'm unhappy with their change making ability the few times that's happened..
That seems unnecessarily snotty - unless you said something like "can you break this bill so I can tip you". You may think it's implied that breaking a bill = getting money for a tip, but I doubt all people will instantly recognise that at all times.

Any thread that mentions tipping, ultimately results in multi-page rants like this unfortunately. FT is littered with closed threads about tipping.
Which begs the question - if it's so unfortunate, why are you reading it? I never understand why people moan about things like this on forums - it's not as if it's space limited!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:48 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by zebranz
Yes, I do for and always have for alcohol. not for soft drinks.
Are soft drinks easier to pour, carry, and serve, than their alcoholic equivalents?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:27 am

I'm not moaning about it. I quite enjoy tipping threads.
My apologies then - I interpreted the "unfortunately" as you disapproving of them!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:54 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:06 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Are soft drinks easier to pour, carry, and serve, than their alcoholic equivalents?
+1

If tipping is appropriate, why would it be fair to penalise the bar staff based on what drink was ordered?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Addressing some tipping questions from an American POV:

Yes, there are places where the servers are paid less than minimum wage in anticipation of their tips making up the difference. The management is supposed to keep track of tips to ensure that minimum wage is met.

You may not like the American tipping system, but it's pretty much here to stay. I, personally, am a big tipper because I appreciate the fact that I don't have to stand on my feet all day to make a living. I am polite to servers and they are, usually, polite back to me and provide good service. I thank them and then leave a hefty tip.

I usually leave at least $5/night in a hotel. The room cleaners make very little money for very hard work. I appreciate their work and tip accordingly.

Life has been good to me. I like to give back. It's one thing to give to charity (which I do), but very satisfying to directly compensate someone who is working to make my life easier.

It's just the way I roll. YMMV.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
That seems unnecessarily snotty - unless you said something like "can you break this bill so I can tip you". You may think it's implied that breaking a bill = getting money for a tip, but I doubt all people will instantly recognise that at all times.
Once again the internet and written words don't do justice to situations.

You're standing there with someone who'd expect to be tipped, and at the moment the tip should be forthcoming you ask if they can break a larger bill. You don't think they KNOW they're getting some of it back? Let's be real. Those who depend upon tips for a living know what you're doing and what they're doing.

Giving you back bills larger than would be appropriate for a tip deserves correction, unless you'd like to stand there looking like a rube.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.