LAS lounge - tipping expected?

Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
LAS lounge - tipping expected?

Quickie for any LAS regulars if you don't mind. As per title, I know it's a serviced bar rather than a self-serve, so would I be right in assuming that the barman is likely to be expecting me to tip him for doing what I would quite happily and probably more quickly do for myself in another lounge?

Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
They are used to the Brits in there and so are not expecting tips, indeed the vast majority of users (including Americans!) don't. If the service is good (which it usually is) then certainly feel free to offer them a little gesture.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks Tobias, much obliged.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One of the main benefits for me when using an airline lounge is I can have all I want to eat and drink without me having to put my hand in my pocket.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
One of the main benefits for me when using an airline lounge is I can have all I want to eat and drink without me having to put my hand in my pocket.
If tipping is expected in a culture then it is kinda like the HHonors free breakfast or the free drinks when gambling in Vegas (you tip on what the cost would have been)
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When in Rome.

You don't have to go overboard. But, tipping based on the rough value of the freebie is pretty common in the US and Vegas is sort of in the US.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:03 am

I always thought it was customary to leave a tip of $1 per drink in US bars
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by bafan
Yes, I do for and always have for alcohol. not for soft drinks.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
When we were there a couple of weeks ago, there was a clear jar on the bar for tips, and we just popped a couple of dollars in there when we got drinks. Some people tipped, some didn't - service didn't seem to be any different either way. We felt more comfortable doing so - when in Rome and all that.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
A more important question is why you would want to spend more than 3 seconds in that horrific little cupboard. Indeed I rather (and do) get a rat burger from Carls Jr rather than spend time in that "lounge"
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by aceman
A more important question is why you would want to spend more than 3 seconds in that horrific little cupboard. Indeed I rather (and do) get a rat burger from Carls Jr rather than spend time in that "lounge"
You must be talking about a different lounge to the one I used earlier this year before my flight back to LHR. The lounge was perfectly fine, and the staff very helpful, except it did get a bit busy at one point.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by bafan
Customary or not, I'm not going to leave a $1 tip for a "free drink" which contains less than $1 worth of actual alcohol since it's so low quality.

Originally Posted by flieduk
If tipping is expected in a culture then it is kinda like the HHonors free breakfast or the free drinks when gambling in Vegas (you tip on what the cost would have been)
What's the point of the free breakfast if you tip what the cost would have been? I'm sorry, but if the breakfast is free, it's free. Maybe if the service is exceptional I'd leave a tip but the hotel staff is not restaurant waitstaff and they do not make below minimum wage (at least in the US).
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DWFI
What's the point of the free breakfast if you tip what the cost would have been? I'm sorry, but if the breakfast is free, it's free. Maybe if the service is exceptional I'd leave a tip but the hotel staff is not restaurant waitstaff and they do not make below minimum wage (at least in the US).
As a Brit (albeit from the North East, where being mean is considered something that may indicate dodgy Scottish tendencies) it has taken me years to get weaned off this stance. But in those hotels where you get a free breakfast, one of the pushbacks from the staff is over the tipping issue. It's only a minority of guests that get the free breakfast, the staff aren't paid any more, and given that the staff are typically only able to dream about having a decent holiday, it's churlish not dip into your wallet for a few dollars. The hospitality business is not well paid - so when in Rome...
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
i rip the usual %ge of the tab. If the tab is $0, what do I do?

Exceptional service might earn a $ at a served bar, I guess. But then I don't use such places.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI
Customary or not, I'm not going to leave a $1 tip for a "free drink" which contains less than $1 worth of actual alcohol since it's so low quality.

No, not what the cost would have been but based upon what the cost would have been.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.