Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where have the JNB flights gone?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
If you are managing flights for a sporting event it makes sense to hold back the availability in it's entirety for the group stages until you know when each team is going to play.
Very interesting insight as always.

Doesn't blocking out the entire flight until the group stage risk upsetting commercial customers and other business passengers who may expect to travel on your airline for unrelated purposes? Is that just a price one must pay for being uninterested in sport?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Doesn't blocking out the entire flight until the group stage risk upsetting commercial customers and other business passengers who may expect to travel on your airline for unrelated purposes? Is that just a price one must pay for being uninterested in sport?
It is all about costs and benefits.

The number of "other" passengers (redemptions to SYD excepted! ) booking more than six months ahead is normally so trivial that they are not worth worrying about.

On the benefits side, waiting until more information is known can be extremely valuable for market segmentation purposes.

So the costs are negligible and the benefits can be substantial, which looks like a sound business case to me.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:02 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Calchas
BA Holidays don't rely on the publicly-published availability to source seats, and often the savings you see for a BA Holiday package over a BA return flight arise from their ability to pull a seat out of the cheapest bucket at any time.
I have never seen BA Holiday availability when there is no fare bucket availability. BA Holidays can book in to the G fare bucket but that requires G fare availability of which there is none in this case.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
My number one tip

If you have tremendous peace of mind and some flexibility regarding when to travel, wait until perhaps a few weeks before departure to buy your tickets. Every airline will be expensive in advance but when all the fans have their tickets those airlines with weaker revenue management practices will panic and discount heavily because they will realise that they have not sold any seats!

Always happens!
I know anecdote isn't data - but I had to go to Brazil at short notice during the world cup - air tickets were all available at a very reasonable price, and hotels too.

Many airlines complain about sporting events though. There is a lot of unbalanced demand which is hard to serve, and business travel (with higher yields) usually collapses during the period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.