Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Taking a larger carry-on so I don't have it at my feet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver

I'm finding myself at the back of the bus for some longhauls now - clients will only pay what they will pay an I need the gigs! That extra £1000 is a lot when it comes from your pocket.....

That said, if I checked a bag on a longer trip, I used to bring aboard a smaller messenger. Nowadays, with the new baggage tags, I'm bringing aboard a bigger bag as I'm not going to spend a LH flight with a bag at my feet. I'm 6' tall and need the space!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
In theory the yellow tag should only be applied to a second smaller bag (personal item) and not your primary piece of hand luggage.

Just rip the label off on the jetty if they incorrectly apply it.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by layz
In theory the yellow tag should only be applied to a second smaller bag (personal item) and not your primary piece of hand luggage.

Yeah, that's in theory. I recently boarded with just a small handbag with me. Got yellow tagged as 'the flight is completely full'. That tag quickly became jetty confetti
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:59 am

I've seen a few yellow tags littering the lounge too.

It's the daftest idea. People who are polite/obedient/gullible (according to your view) enough to keep the tags and comply with them are unlikely to be the selfish ones abusing the locker space in the first place.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I'm finding myself at the back of the bus for some longhauls now ...
Realistically, how often is overhead space actually a problem on longhauls, even in Y?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I have had the tag almost forcibly applied, even in Row 1 in CE. Only after much persuasion did that gate agent understand my (polite) refusal of it.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Genius1
I have had the tag almost forcibly applied, even in Row 1 in CE. Only after much persuasion did that gate agent understand my (polite) refusal of it.
I recently had to do similar for Row 1 and was given a very odd look when I reminded the gate-agent that I was not allowed to have anything 'on the floor area around my seat'!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I recently had to do similar for Row 1 and was given a very odd look when I reminded the gate-agent that I was not allowed to have anything 'on the floor area around my seat'!
I had to explain and rephrase three times before a check-in agent would understand that there is no seat in front of a row 1 seat!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
I had to explain and rephrase three times before a check-in agent would understand that there is no seat in front of a row 1 seat!
Thinks: Silly first class passengers don't realize there's a pilot at the pointy end!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
Not on a 747...
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Thinks: Silly first class passengers don't realize there's a pilot at the pointy end!
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Not on a 747...
oops my scenario was an A32? short-haul.

*scuttles out of thread*
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
To me, it seems that BA has the tagging system the wrong way around - currently they are tagging the 2nd item to indicate that they shouldn't go in the overheads, however the tags are easily removed, and thus next to worthless if someone wants to flout the rules. IMO it would make more sense to tag the 1st item of hand luggage, and only bags with tags should be allowed up top (at least until boarding is complete)....much harder to add a tag you don't have then to remove one you don't want.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by bugsy
To me, it seems that BA has the tagging system the wrong way around - currently they are tagging the 2nd item to indicate that they shouldn't go in the overheads, however the tags are easily removed, and thus next to worthless if someone wants to flout the rules. IMO it would make more sense to tag the 1st item of hand luggage, and only bags with tags should be allowed up top (at least until boarding is complete)....much harder to add a tag you don't have then to remove one you don't want.
Exactly! I've always wondered why they didn't do it that way round
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by layz

I had them come round in the lounge at ABZ two weeks ago and stick one on my suit hanger, at the gate they were checking pieces up and down the queue and said there should be one on my shoulder bag. I pointed out that they had already tagged the other bag in the lounge, but they were adamant that the shoulder bag should have been the correct one tagged, so it got one too - not in exchange but in addition! I now had two pieces and both were tagged. No point explaining about seat numbers, they are "only obeying orders"

Whilst I could have ripped either or both off, I didnt bother and just put both into the overhead locker as that's what you are supposed to do when you are sat in 1C on the A320
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
oops my scenario was an A32? short-haul.

*scuttles out of thread*
The "jockey" on the 747 is upstairs and seated above row 5, so F pax really do get there before the pilot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.