Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Taking a larger carry-on so I don't have it at my feet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking a larger carry-on so I don't have it at my feet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by bugsy
To me, it seems that BA has the tagging system the wrong way around - currently they are tagging the 2nd item to indicate that they shouldn't go in the overheads, however the tags are easily removed, and thus next to worthless if someone wants to flout the rules. IMO it would make more sense to tag the 1st item of hand luggage, and only bags with tags should be allowed up top (at least until boarding is complete)....much harder to add a tag you don't have then to remove one you don't want.
Regular fliers would just not remove the tag between flights and travel with two tagged bags.

There is always a way round this problem. The occasional fliers wont necessarily know to rip off the tag

Easyjet have a more successful way - 1 item only.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by antichef
The "jockey" on the 747 is upstairs and seated above row 5, so F pax really do get there before the pilot!
* PEDANTIC MODE ON *

I'd say it is above seat 3 so if you are in row 4 or 5 you will arrive AFTER the pilots.

* PEDANTIC MODE OFF *
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:06 am

I've been yellow tagged a number of times when seated in CW. I keep pointing it out ... they keep doing it.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:11 am

And Easyjet CC are somehow allowed to touch luggage and move it around. Apparently that is too dangerous for BA CC to do
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Not on a 747...
They prefer the upper deck, of course...
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
OP, of course by taking a larger carry on you are becoming part of the problem, but I can understand the reason for that attitude.

Personally I think BA just need to ban the the larger role-aboards, or just gate check them like some US airlines do when the flight is full as it simply isn't right that people with reasonable hand baggage are inconvenienced by those who push it.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
To me, it seems that BA has the tagging system the wrong way around - currently they are tagging the 2nd item to indicate that they shouldn't go in the overheads, however the tags are easily removed, and thus next to worthless if someone wants to flout the rules. IMO it would make more sense to tag the 1st item of hand luggage, and only bags with tags should be allowed up top (at least until boarding is complete)....much harder to add a tag you don't have then to remove one you don't want.
I agree

Regular fliers would just not remove the tag between flights and travel with two tagged bags.

There is always a way round this problem. The occasional fliers wont necessarily know to rip off the tag

Different tag colours? Admittedly it would still be possible to cheat, but far harder if you don't know which of the 3/4 colours you need. You could also have different colours/large numbers for different parts of the aircraft.

Originally Posted by TheBaps
OP, of course by taking a larger carry on you are becoming part of the problem, but I can understand the reason for that attitude.

Personally I think BA just need to ban the the larger role-aboards, or just gate check them like some US airlines do when the flight is full as it simply isn't right that people with reasonable hand baggage are inconvenienced by those who push it.
I agree with this too. I would prefer a clampdown on people with excessive (size or number of items) luggage to the tagging - though both are probably needed.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Originally Posted by Tim1975
And Easyjet CC are somehow allowed to touch luggage and move it around. Apparently that is too dangerous for BA CC to do
To be fair to the CC, if they are injured doing that, they are not covered by BA - and are not entitled to paid sick leave etc. While in 99% of the cases, helping customers with their bags will be fine, considering the size/weight of the bags some people consider carry-on the risk is still there.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to take the risk in their case.

As for Easyjet maybe they provide their crew with better injury coverage than BA (no idea if they do or not).

Until BA either provides coverage for injuries caused in this manner, or reduces the weight of carry-ons allowed (and polices it..) then I certainly don't begrudge the caution of the CC.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:23 am

To be fair to the CC, if they are injured doing that, they are not covered by BA - and are not entitled to paid sick leave etc. While in 99% of the cases, helping customers with their bags will be fine, considering the size/weight of the bags some people consider carry-on the risk is still there.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to take the risk in their case.

As for Easyjet maybe they provide their crew with better injury coverage than BA (no idea if they do or not).

Until BA either provides coverage for injuries caused in this manner, or reduces the weight of carry-ons allowed (and polices it..) then I certainly don't begrudge the caution of the CC.
Don't misunderstand me I don't blame the CC. This is BA's fault. If a LCC manages to control the H&S risks and provide insurance to enable their CC to be happy and proactive in moving luggage around then BA can too.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by TheBaps

I couldn't agree LESS !!!

For the last couple of years I have been a weekly commuter to various client sites across mainland Europe, usually spending 4 nights a week in a hotel room.

I have a roller case which is within the allowed dimensions. My packing regime is by now world-class and I can just fit in everything I need for the week.

How I am being "unreasonable" by wanting to avoid adding time to my journey (by checking a bag) or doing without essential items (by taking a smaller one) ?

GRRRRR
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by fisherofsouls
I couldn't agree LESS !!!

For the last couple of years I have been a weekly commuter to various client sites across mainland Europe, usually spending 4 nights a week in a hotel room.

I have a roller case which is within the allowed dimensions. My packing regime is by now world-class and I can just fit in everything I need for the week.

How I am being "unreasonable" by wanting to avoid adding time to my journey (by checking a bag) or doing without essential items (by taking a smaller one) ?

GRRRRR
I agree BA should allow all bags within the dimensions on board. It's the sole reason one of my cases is almost exactly 56x45x25 (a natty Briggs & Riley, since you ask ) and I'd be pretty hacked off if it were checked in because of space. I can travel for (just about) up to a week on business with that case and it's saved me a significant amount of unnecessary travel time overall.

Better policing of over-sized baggage is what's needed. It's a particular problem on short-haul flights with the rise of hand baggage only fares.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: ABBA
Hand luggage should be for items needed on the flight, and fragile items. HBO fares should cost more than normal fares, and anyone not checking (and picking up) a bag on normal fares should be penalised.

On top of this the hand luggage allowance should be increased to say 56x25x75, again for those who actually need it for fragile items. This could be charged, say an extra £30 for upto 50cm, £60 for upto 75cm.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
deleted
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paulwuk
HBO fares should cost more than normal fares, and anyone not checking (and picking up) a bag on normal fares should be penalised.
Is this sarcasm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.