Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Oil price at 4 year low but still V high fuel surcharges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oil price at 4 year low but still V high fuel surcharges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
"Fuel surcharges" have nothing to do with the cost of fuel.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
BA currently goes out of their way to hide the YQ in with the taxes and external fees:

That "Price per person: £0.00" box is misdirection. Retailers don't typically hide their margin in with the VAT on your receipt
Is there a particular reason why you've cut off the line of text directly underneath the price quotes that clearly explains there is a carrier surcharge? Or refuse to accept that the blue i icon gives a clear breakdown of charges and specifies which go to BA - claiming I'm making it up? Hardly the act of someone "going out of their way to hide it"... Particularly as virtually none of their customers care what it's called anyway.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by muscat
There is a simple solution here; if you really object to BA advertising, fares, carrier charges, Avios, etc, then DON'T fly BA.
I generally don't as there's competition on the routes I fly. BA gets away with YQ on redemptions as it operates as an effective monopoly out of LHR.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I generally don't as there's competition on the routes I fly. BA gets away with YQ on redemptions as it operates as an effective monopoly out of LHR.
??? Every time I fly out of LHR there seem to be planes from every operator in the world sitting at terminals.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:18 pm

??? Every time I fly out of LHR there seem to be planes from every operator in the world sitting at terminals.
BA say this:

European carrier imposed charge

British Airways applies a carrier imposed charge.

This charge is based on flight duration and applies to all passengers, including children and infants travelling on British Airways operated international and domestic services.
Apart from the fact the the phrase "European carrier imposed charge" doesn't belong there (more misdirection - this is a CX flight I'm pricing up at BA.com ), the bit about flight duration is nonsense.

LHR-HKG takes about 10h30, JFK-LHR about 5h45; check the YQ on those two routes )

Despite BA's claims, YQ has got very little to do with flight duration and certainly nothing to do with fuel.

BA obviously picks the carrier surcharge based almost entirely on what the market will bear. This is supposed to be what the fare is for!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
There is a simple solution here; if you really object to BA advertising, fares, carrier charges, Avios, etc, then DON'T fly BA.
This often heard line really is neither a solution nor simple for many and isn't made any more so by the use of capital letters in the post.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Oct 12, 2014 at 2:17 am
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Are BA now under any pressure to reduce YQ

With a barrel of oil falling to $82 ($85 Brent ) the business section of the times today seems to be joining the band wagon.

They quote the 4 rises in 2011 when the oil price climbed from $90 to $110 and also the recent action in the states highlighting the extra burden this puts on redemption bookings.

I know many on here will argue BA's corner that YQ is now part of the ticket price but this charge was born out of high oil prices and we all stumped up.

Surely now we should see this fee declining and therefore bringing down the cash element on reward flights? I'm sure the market will always dictate the full revenue price anyhow, no matter what elements make up the final figure.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
No - as innumerable other threads have said, YQ is no longer a fuel surcharge, but a "carrier surcharge"
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by revan
No - as innumerable other threads have said, YQ is no longer a fuel surcharge, but a "carrier surcharge"
Which just highlights the dishonesty of the whole situation.

If BA had said 4 years ago that the current model does not work for us and we now need to make a carrier surcharge on redemptions, it would have been clear. Customers would have made a choice.

But it was sold to us as a fuel surcharge. The economy was bad, there were wars and we all saw the price of oil hitting new highs on the news. I, and others understood and me paid the fuel surcharge.

Now the oil price is below the trigger point, it's suddenly renamed or re classified.

C'mon. That's not cricket!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by shorthauldad

BA obviously picks the carrier surcharge based almost entirely on what the market will bear. This is supposed to be what the fare is for!
Absolutely right. The link to fuel price was smart when oil prices were the drama of the day. Equally smart was ditching that link after the surcharge concept became an entrenched component of ticket price (AKA fare), legal rumblings began in the US, and oil prices fell.

We are left with a fare comprising two components, one sort of fixed, the other variable. It's an odd pricing mechanism: a neutral artefact for many passengers, but clearly a burden for others.

More importantly, and equally clearly, it represents lucre to the airline.

It is this financial benefit it carries for the airline that's the key to YQ continuing application under its new definition. The xxx-surcharge will be with us until a regulator gets to grips with it (i.e. probably forever).
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Which just highlights the dishonesty of the whole situation.

If BA had said 4 years ago that the current model does not work for us and we now need to make a carrier surcharge on redemptions, it would have been clear. Customers would have made a choice.

But it was sold to us as a fuel surcharge. The economy was bad, there were wars and we all saw the price of oil hitting new highs on the news. I, and others understood and me paid the fuel surcharge.

Now the oil price is below the trigger point, it's suddenly renamed or re classified.

C'mon. That's not cricket!
+1
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mattyb44
+1
+1+1
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Oil Prices and Avios

Now that oil prices are plunging, is it possible that BA might cut the avios fuel surcharge. What is their basis for the surcharge anyway $20/barrel ??

If they continue to charge fuel surcharges then for sure avios travel is just another low fare revenue ticket
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't work like that. Oil price falls profits rise, reduce government taxes, profits rise... in theory anyway .
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC
And, of course, the shareholder discount doesn't apply to the surcharge...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.