Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Oil price at 4 year low but still V high fuel surcharges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oil price at 4 year low but still V high fuel surcharges

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I think CX have reduced their Fuel Surcharge in the last couple of days - let me check that's correct!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by callum9999
Or they don't have the answer 100% memorised off the top of their head so want to make sure they're giving an accurate answer - without the connotations you seem to be making that they're trying to mislead without being technically incorrect!
You know, I know
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paralytic
You know, I know
The question was about OpEx "opportunities" that seemed to worry analysts, I think they were hoping the money would go back to their client shareholders rather than improve the product. WW sounded like he didn't want to commit to anything either way. I think.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Did any else, you know, find this quote from Willie Walsh, you know, really difficult to follow?
I had a professor in university who's crutch phrase was "if you like". One time I counted and he used it 128 times in a 50 min lecture!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by kurto1
So they can generate revenue on reward tickets!
And there is the answer ^
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:02 pm

gas (petrol) here in sunny FLA is at $2.52 per US gallon today :-) a year ago we were in the high $3.90s
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by flabound
gas (petrol) here in sunny FLA is at $2.52 per US gallon today :-) a year ago we were in the high $3.90s
Yes, petrol in the uk is down to about $7 per us gallon, down from 8. amazing how cheap. But no one knows how long it will last, once Putin gets deposed I suspect it will go back up.

BA have already bought a lot of oil at a higher price though.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A question of trust: "[BA] will review this surcharge on a regular basis"

This thread is about trustworthiness, ethics, morality, rectitude and decency.

On 11 May 2004 British Airways introduced what BA (and not someone else) called a fuel surcharge. BA (and not someone else) chose to use an "airline own use only" IATA tax code to collect it, the YQ "tax" (at the time) code.

At the time, British Airways (not someone else) made the following statement / promise:

Due to the continuing fluctuations in the price of oil British Airways will review this surcharge on a regular basis with a view to adjusting it when appropriate."
Source: here

Given the year on year drop of aviation fuel costs by 27.1% (source: IATA Fuel Price Analysis), the "appropriateness" of an "adjustment" to the YQ "carrier imposed surcharge" (as renamed) is long overdue. From my limited knowledge, the transatlantic YQ surcharge actually increased this year against this dramatic reduction in fuel costs:

Jet, FOB Rotterdam Barge (Source: Platts Jet Fuel)

Can BA be trusted?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA and other airlines buy the fuel in advance. So what BA is paying is different to the market rates at present. I agree this works when the cost goes up, not when it goes down. Hopefully when the present fuel hedge runs out, the surcharge can come down. If you know how long fuel will remain low, please let us know.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by origin
BA and other airlines buy the fuel in advance.
BA's own YQ numbers provide a rather comprehensive demolition of the idea that the "carrier charge" is linked to fuel in any way. See:

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Funny you should mention CX F. Some numbers:

The carrier charge for a CX F flight from FRA to HKG is £65

The carrier charge for a CX F flight from LHR to HKG is £65

The carrier charge for a BA F flight from LHR to HKG is £179.50 (but this is easily explained because BA F is widely viewed as 2.76x better than CX F )

The carrier charge for a BA F flight from JFK to LHR is £259.40 (this is explained because of Chase giving away all those damn Avios )

Look at the figures, look at the distances, look at the carriers.

EDIT: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=FRA-HKG;+LHR-HKG;+JFK-LHR

Oh, and remember that 241 voucher that's "saving" you so much? Could it just be that BA is clawing that saving back via inflated YQ on its metal?
It's nothing to do with fuel, it doesn't even seem to be strongly linked to distance flown; BA sets the "carrier charge" at a level they can get away with. That's all.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The practice of separating out the carrier imposed surcharge has become engrained in the industry such that all airlines that operate between Europe and North America charge very similar fees, it's not just BA. AA, DL, UA surcharges are more or less equal to those imposed by BA. So, I guess the question is, which airline (if any) will go against the status quo? Even if one chooses to take the lead on this, the surcharge will very probably be rolled into the net fare, which will leave the consumer in much the same position as before.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by origin
BA and other airlines buy the fuel in advance. So what BA is paying is different to the market rates at present. I agree this works when the cost goes up, not when it goes down. Hopefully when the present fuel hedge runs out, the surcharge can come down. If you know how long fuel will remain low, please let us know.
Obviously nobody knows how long fuel will stay at this price, but there one thing we all do know ....... there is very little stopping BA buying lots of it at the current price in order to being down the fuel surcharge in the future as per their promise which the OP has pointed out.

Should we hold our breath?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
It's nothing to do with fuel, it doesn't even seem to be strongly linked to distance flown; BA sets the "carrier charge" at a level they can get away with. That's all.
Yes, I agree. It's nothing to do with fuel - it may have been to begin with. But for the last x years it's just been called a carrier charge, which is reviewed upwards from time to time, and it's simply a cost of doing business with BA. You don't have to pay it, it's clearly stated in every booking, the competition is there to go elsewhere and in the round fares are very good value, redemptions thereby less so, but still there are good opportunities out there. I'm always intrigued at the sound and fury of YQ related debates, when there seems almost no debate on base fares. But when you can fly from London to Australia for under £800 return I guess that debate isn't worth having.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
The practice of separating out the carrier imposed surcharge has become engrained in the industry such that all airlines that operate between Europe and North America charge very similar fees...
Well, apart from the fact that YQ is significantly higher JFK-LHR (one-way), than LHR-JFK (one-way) - as of today, £106.50 vs £146.20 in Y.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by hillrider
This thread is about trustworthiness, ethics, morality, rectitude and decency.
Forgive me if I've got the wrong person, but wasn't it you who took BA to court in the US about these fees? And the US courts found in BAs favour?

EDIT...

Found it. It wasn't you, but you started a thread about it. Why the need for yet another thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ot-filing.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.