Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Oil price at 4 year low but still V high fuel surcharges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oil price at 4 year low but still V high fuel surcharges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by where2travel
To me it's bizarre when it still applies to flights booked with BA where the operating carrier (where it's not BA) sometimes doesn't impose the charge themselves!
If their customers are still happy to pay those then, however unjustified, they'll keep lumping them on.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They were free, other than for taxes, before the temporary introduction of fuel surcharges with the rapidly changing price of fuel
"Temporary"?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They were free, other than for taxes, before the temporary introduction of fuel surcharges with the rapidly changing price of fuel
I can't believe I'm saying this to you of all people, but since when has "plus tax" = "free"?! Either it is free or it is not free, surely?

I'm probably being too binary.....
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
So what exactly is the carrier imposed charge for??
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Weren't the old Airmiles redemptions actually free of add-ons?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Because BA Are Worth It. Allegedly.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not really wanting to hijack this thread to make a general point, however this thread is becoming typical of the type of threads on here. If BA is so bad with surcharges, poor customer service, food, seats, dirty aircraft, no luggage space and poor on time performance (except from BOM ), how does it ever make any money? Surely everone should be flying with other airlines unless they are completely mad.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest
Whatever BA want it to be for. At the end of the day I pay a single price for a ticket. I couldn't care less how BA want to break it down internally. If I find another price elsewhere I may go with that - again I couldn't care less how the other carrier wants to split the cost of the ticket.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
If BA is so bad with surcharges, poor customer service, food, seats, dirty aircraft, no luggage space and poor on time performance (except from BOM ), how does it ever make any money?
Why does a company making lots money have anything to do with it not being bad at anything?

RYANAIR HALF YEAR PROFITS RISE 32% TO €795M
03 Nov 2014
FULL YEAR TRAFFIC & PROFIT GUIDANCE RAISED

Ryanair Europe’s favourite low fares airline today (3 Nov) announced that H1 Net Profit rose by 32% to €795m. Traffic grew 4% to 51.3m customers, ave. fares increased 5%, and total revenues rose by 9% to €3,537m. Unit costs fell by 2% (excluding fuel they rose by 3%). H1 load factors jumped by 4% points to 89%, due to a stronger Easter period and the success of Ryanair’s “Always Getting Better” customer experience improvements.

- See more at: http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ne....wxANDjGF.dpuf
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Whatever BA want it to be for. At the end of the day I pay a single price for a ticket. I couldn't care less how BA want to break it down internally. If I find another price elsewhere I may go with that - again I couldn't care less how the other carrier wants to split the cost of the ticket.
Well yes, you have a point. But why don't they just incorporate it into the fare base? That would be much clearer wouldn't it?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by SteveF
BA are not buying $50 fuel yet. The fuel they are presently using was purchased at an agreed price months ago. And it's not $50 once it's been refined and the government has piled on the tax either.

Oh and the surcharge is not (officially) a fuel surcharge; it is a carrier imposed surcharge (or something).
Aviation fuel isn't taxed.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I don't see the problem; there are no hidden fees or add-ons. You look for a flight on a certain date - choose the outbound that suits time / price wise, then pick a return that also suits. If the price doesn't, you don't need to book. The final price is shown. The breakdown is immaterial - the final price is still what was advertised.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Why does a company making lots money have anything to do with it not being bad at anything?
It dosen't which is the point I was trying to make rather ironically. For all the huffing and puffing on here BA won't care unless the bottom line is hit. There is no incentive for any company to provide customers with a better service unless it improves the bottom line.

None of us are special to BA, just a means to an end.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can't believe I'm saying this to you of all people, but since when has "plus tax" = "free"?! Either it is free or it is not free, surely?

I'm probably being too binary.....
Redemptions on AA were probably actually free in 2001

I will agree that BA redemptions have generally not been free in that there was still tax ( I do remember paying around GBP45 in taxes for a return flight on Concorde ) , but they were free in having no fare component
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
I saw today that QR will be cutting their fuel surcharge - so hopefully this will lead others to follow.

http://dohanews.co/al-baker-qatar-ai...rline-tickets/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.