Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5B your new operator: virgin.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
T5B your new operator: virgin.

This must have been posted before so mods please do move if my search abilities have failed me again.

Anyway. Trundling through t5b after a pleasant hour with 3 fellow fters in gf and the adverts in t5b down near the high 30 gates are all for virgin upper class. Made me chuckle! Im now hiding in 3e on a 787, nice space to the side of the seat i must say. Not that it is on topic but there you go, i'm a repressed rebel.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
There have been VS Upper Class ads at T5 since it opened.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Where better for VS to advertise than in T5. Its where the competition is.

I remember when VS introduced their new Upper Class seats - they displayed in the middle of T4, then the home of BA pre-T5.

You dont market to the converted. You market to the uncoverted; especially after BA's sufficiently annoys them courtesy of Heathrow Airport Limited

Last edited by KenJohn; Aug 26, 2014 at 6:14 am
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn
You dont market to the converted. You market to the uncoverted
EasyJet's "Bye invitation only" poster that greets those leaving the lounge pavilion at Gatwick's North Terminal applies similar advertising logic, I guess
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
I never understood why BA agreed to having these ads at T5...
They should just pay HAL more than VS does!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by gordo6
Presumably you'd be happy to have an extra penny on your fare every time the "just pay more" opportunity arises? Thought not.

I've no issue seeing these Virgin ads; every time I waft up the elevators (I confess the champers in the lounge does give me wind) I am more than happy to know I won't have to endure Virgin's flighty service, and running out of things mid-flight - not to mention that awful converter bed and their pensionable fleet of cast off aircraft, dressed up with glitter like some sort of a Soho tart.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gordo6
When you own the terminal you can have the say who advertises there, I would expect BA will have no say in this matter.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenJohn
I remember when VS introduced their new Upper Class seats - they displayed in the middle of T4, then the home of BA pre-T5.
As did SQ with the then-new 77W flat bed. IIRC DL also had a display in T5 a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by oscietra
...I've no issue seeing these Virgin ads; every time I waft up the elevators (I confess the champers in the lounge does give me wind) I am more than happy to know I won't have to endure Virgin's flighty service, and running out of things mid-flight - not to mention that awful converter bed and their pensionable fleet of cast off aircraft, dressed up with glitter like some sort of a Soho tart.
Haha, don't hold back Oscietra
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
My favourite VS add (in T4, I think) during the cat-fight years, and when they offered an in-flight massage, was "BA don't give a shiatsu".
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
And here it is...http://www.adforum.com/creative-work/ad/player/12048
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
As an aside, VS has parted company with its long-standing ad agency RKCR/Y&R:

http://www.brandrepublic.com/news/13...-ads-rkcr-y-r/

To be honest, I suspect there are now other airlines/groups to keep BA awake at night more than VS. Arguably, one of the most overlooked aviation stories is how wildly divergent the financial performance of BA and VS has been in recent years, when both airlines are exposed to the same market conditions.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Reminds me, a few weeks ago when sitting in T5 F Lounge someone who was the spitting image of Richard Branson sat down opposite, myself and the lady seated beside me exchanged glances and joked about him possibly being lost. Illusion was broken when he started talking into his phone with an American accent…
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ian001
As an aside, VS has parted company with its long-standing ad agency RKCR/Y&R:

http://www.brandrepublic.com/news/13...-ads-rkcr-y-r/
Is this a sign of Richard's influence, perhaps?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jcm9000
...the adverts in t5b down near the high 30 gates are all for virgin upper class. Made me chuckle! Im now hiding in 3e on a 787, nice space to the side of the seat i must say. Not that it is on topic but there you go, i'm a repressed rebel.
Personally I don't see how the subject heading corellates to your topic of discussion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.