Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

can't be long before club in europe is stopped

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

can't be long before club in europe is stopped

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Well I have just looked at SINGLE flights to AMS from London before lunchtime Friday.
CE is £506.00
ET is £143.00
That is a lot of money extra for band 1 catering, some mediocre fizz, an empty middle seat, fast track and the galleries lounge.....
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Well I have just looked at SINGLE flights to AMS from London before lunchtime Friday.
CE is £506.00
ET is £143.00
That is a lot of money extra for band 1 catering, some mediocre fizz, an empty middle seat, fast track and the galleries lounge.....
Well the difference is full flexibility and full refund (J) vs. no cancellation permitted (L). People often need that flexibility even 14 hours before the flight.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by paul4040
It's not "appropriate to the time of day" really.... Afternoon tea is full service, it's just not a hot meal. Not everyone wants a hot meal all the time, and I certainly wouldn't eat dinner at 4pm.

If I'm on an afternoon tea service I'll either have eaten something warm in the lounge or be having a full dinner later.
I always thought "appropriate to the time of day" was a silly thing for an airline to consider. They're a global business and have customers on all different time zones. They have no idea where you've originated from or where you're en route to.

What would be really impressive service would be if they had full range of meals from breakfast to dinner available to select on every flight. That's the kind of service I would expect if I was spending a mortgage payment for a longhaul connection. Sure it would cost money but you have to spend money to make money.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paul4040
Well, that's what you'll get if you order an afternoon tea in a British hotel or tea room, and that's what "afternoon tea" is.

Of course, many people here hate it - that's their personal preference, as I have mine.
In the hotel scenario, you have a choice whether to order afternoon tea or something else from the menu. On BA the only choice is to eat the (frankly insulting) afternoon tea or not.

Last edited by bafan; Jul 11, 2014 at 7:36 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
On my recent travels, CE has been packed out - there were 9 rows to AMS and back last week, always full for NCE and JER on the short routes - so I'd be very surprised if it were to be abandoned. On longer flights like IST I find CE to be rather good value.

The new seat pitch is, however, most unfortunate especially as the seats themselves are (I find) rather uncomfortable already.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
MLA was rammed both ways in CE last week too ... 8 rows filled, so there's clearly some sort of demand. I doubt they were all on TP runs.

Some of us appreciate the 'spare seat', and the food and beverage offering.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by T8191
MLA was rammed both ways in CE last week too ... 8 rows filled, so there's clearly some sort of demand. I doubt they were all on TP runs.

Some of us appreciate the 'spare seat', and the food and beverage offering.
CE for Malta is a fairly reasonable markup (not £300 more like some routes). Random date in August for a mid-week break, with the first leg at £206 for ET (K class), £278 for CE, no wonder it's full at that price.

However remember a spare seat can be bought very cheaply if you're happy to phone up and book for Mr C.Ello.

Looking further afield to MLA, you can book three seats in economy next june for £466 (£102 for the spare seat)

The exact same seats in CE will set you back £682.

That's a £200 excess for afternoon tea, some battery acid in a bottle, and 60tp each.

p.s. I see that flying non-HBO is now a £34 premium for a return flight, as predicted the price difference just increases and increases.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:12 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
At the moment I can pay the princely sum of £326 to upgrade my next BRU-LHR flight to CE. For a 1hr 10 minute (if that) flight, and taking the original ET ticket cost into account, that's around £400 an hour. At those rates, BA ought to be forgetting about dressing its aircraft up as pandas, and instead go with a black robe and a silly wig draped over the cockpit.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
@ paulwuk ... we just 'liked' the CE pax who kept ordering mini-champagne bottles, two at a time. Classy, eh?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:02 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Despite the general negativity towards CE on here (which I can certainly understand) I have to admit I do quite like the service, providing the price is right and length of flight justifies it.

There is no way I'd pay for it on a band 1 or 2 flight - I just don't see the point. On longer band 3 flights, and band 4 flights I do think it can be a good option - this though, for me, is largely dependent on crew (and of course, there is no way of knowing how they will be when booking..!) Did have a superb crew on the way to Sofia this morning though...

Generally though, in CE I do feel I get a more personalised service, and on the longer flights it is nice to have the middle seat vacant. I do enjoy the slightly better catering - although I'd actively avoid the afternoon tea and brunch services - which frankly I see as insulting considering the premium paid - epitome of this was last week on flight back from Lisbon when I was served a tiny soggy croissant with bacon accompanied by a solitary bread roll.. the flight actually landed just before 2pm - so in my books a proper lunch should have been served.

I think the general problem with CE is the constant 'enhancements' which continually devalue the service.. for example the band 4 replacement of canapés with a pathetic plain salad.. or enhancing away drinkable champagne with a drink which actually makes me feel quite unwell due to the acidity.

The sad thing is, it wouldn't actually take that much for BA to improve CE without breaking the bank, and I actually think they'd see margins increasing with more people choosing to upgrade, as it is the constant devaluations lead customers to conclude there is little worth in paying the premium.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by paulwuk
That's a £200 excess for afternoon tea, some battery acid in a bottle, and 60tp each.

p.s. I see that flying non-HBO is now a £34 premium for a return flight, as predicted the price difference just increases and increases.
MLA is band 4 which is a hot meal all day. Very nice too!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 11, 2014 at 8:43 pm Reason: Fixed a broken quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Often1
Rubbish.

The TATL connections alone make this worth it.

Put another way, what on earth makes you think that CE is going anywhere?
BA Futurelab are asking some very interesting questions at the moment.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
BA Futurelab are asking some very interesting questions at the moment.
Can you be more specific?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Calchas
Can you be more specific?
Afraid not because participation of the programme is confidential but they are asking some very interesting questions about the moment about premium short haul flights.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by T8191
@ paulwuk ... we just 'liked' the CE pax who kept ordering mini-champagne bottles, two at a time. Classy, eh?
The only possible reason anyone would do that is if they were making their own batteries to keep their devices charged.

I have to think anyone who drinks that stuff to excess must be the type of person who thinks that as long as it says 'Champagne' on the bottle it's a mark of quality and doesn't care what it tastes like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.