FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   can't be long before club in europe is stopped (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1592932-cant-long-before-club-europe-stopped.html)

si007 Jul 9, 2014 1:51 pm

can't be long before club in europe is stopped

Hi

With the new changes to seats in club on european flights. There is barely any benefit to going business now in europe, especially if you have silver or gold card.

How long before they phase it out do we all think?

User Name Jul 9, 2014 1:56 pm

General consensus in previous similar discussions seems to be that we don't think they would get rid of it as it would further scupper BA's premium market from Europe to the Americas.

Genius1 Jul 9, 2014 1:56 pm

CE will remain due to the high volumes of corporate pax who have a J travel policy, and also significantly due to connecting premium pax.

Skipcool3 Jul 9, 2014 2:00 pm

And because a business class product is offered on LF, LX, AF, KL, IB, etc.

Someone will have to blink first before BA scrap it. Many passengers will not fly Y.

MrSimonR Jul 9, 2014 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by si007 (Post 23170194)
Hi

With the new changes to seats in club on european flights. There is barely any benefit to going business now in europe, especially if you have silver or gold card.

All the more reason it has a future. Doesn't costs BA much to operate, and yet still ensures:
1) Some full fare business travel
2) Intercontinental transfers in J.F
3) A sizeable market for upgrades @ £50-£150 for an offering that costs a few pence and an unsold middle seat.

cme17 Jul 9, 2014 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by si007 (Post 23170194)
Hi

How long before they phase it out do we all think?

If you don't fly business, how do you get Gold?

T8191 Jul 9, 2014 2:09 pm

Oh, it's so sad. What expectations people have.

CE is a 'bit' better than ET. You get free food and drink (the latter being an imperative for the FT community).

I have benefitted from the connection to CW by getting CE. I have even this last week flow CE at my own expense ... yes, with my own money.

If it causes people so much grief/angst/anger, either fly ET or go LoCo ... and stop bloody whining.

Genius1 Jul 9, 2014 2:25 pm

I enjoy travelling in CE and will happily pay for it at reasonable cost.

Often1 Jul 9, 2014 2:29 pm

Rubbish.

The TATL connections alone make this worth it.

Put another way, what on earth makes you think that CE is going anywhere?

jacobitetraveller Jul 9, 2014 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 23170332)

If it causes people so much grief/angst/anger, either fly ET or go LoCo ... and stop bloody whining.

^ hear hear

gordon0808 Jul 9, 2014 2:36 pm

I don't think it will go until LH and/or AF get rid of their short haul business class, which I don't see happening in the foreseeable future.

our_kid Jul 9, 2014 2:42 pm

LIS this afternoon had 16 PAX in CE - busiest CE I have seen for a while....

stu1985 Jul 9, 2014 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by our_kid (Post 23170504)
LIS this afternoon had 16 PAX in CE - busiest CE I have seen for a while....

That's nothing - you should see the GVA flights! I think the busiest I saw was 12 full rows of CE.

themapelligroup Jul 9, 2014 3:18 pm

My route LIN-LHR is always full in club Europe, once I saw 13 rows of it! Connecting passengers, business only policy and FlyerTalkers will make it continue.

paul4040 Jul 9, 2014 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 23170332)
Oh, it's so sad. What expectations people have.

CE is a 'bit' better than ET. You get free food and drink (the latter being an imperative for the FT community).

I have benefitted from the connection to CW by getting CE. I have even this last week flow CE at my own expense ... yes, with my own money.

Hear hear.

CE isn't great, especially if you need to work. But many people, like me, use it for "premium leisure" instead, and the associated TPs are more than welcome. In fact, if they took the TPs away, I'd stop travelling CE.

As it is, I quite like the empty middle seat, the general peace and quiet, and champagne with my breakfast.

If people don't like the product, then don't buy it.