Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A321 long haul

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (GGL, GFL)
I am a regular on the BEY route (15 times in the last 9 months, including periods where I travel several weeks in a row) and I have heard various crewmours that it's going to be upgraded to 787. I can see this being supported by loads, particularly in the summer period when the flight often sells out well in advance, at very high fares. Also, premium loads seem very high (even in winter, when the flight has been very poorly loaded in Y, the J cabin is often full). In fact, given the number of passengers connecting on to flights out of LHR (eg to the US) in F, I think there is an argument to be made that BEY could sustain a small F cabin such as that on the 787-9.

In some ways it would be a shame to say goodbye to the A321 on the route - I've had some really great crews who seem fond of the trip and have reappeared on several of my flights, many of whom are ex-BMI (my trips are nearly always 2 nights in duration, hence get to return with the same crew as on the outbound).

As an aside, I think the entire ground crew at BEY are superb. Great to be greeted by name at check-in, always asking if everything is OK, super quick boarding, etc. The overall impression is of a very tight ship being run by the station manager - I have never once been delayed in leaving (helped obviously by the aircraft resting in BEY overnight).
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Completely agree - Y doesn't do so well, but J is often sold out despite I believe the highest fares of all airlines going West. And the 789 has a slightly smaller Y cabin...
The A321 is a bit of a staple on the route, it's been over twenty years!
And yes, the ground crew is absolutely amazing, despite a few long-standing ones having left recently. At least one of the remaining ones has been hired by BA proper, and the station manager has been there forever.

Anyway... all speculation right now regarding the fate of these five remaining birds!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:02 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 9:49 am
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hope you're doing well, TCX69!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by bealine
G-MEDL returned to the fleet today in her new 205 seat config. It is believed all the other ex-BMI mid-haul A321's are to be converted over the coming few months so enjoy them while you can.
Originally Posted by TCX69
G–MEDL has now been reconfigured to a Shorthaul configuration. G–MEDM is in GLA being refitted and G–MEDN will also be reconfigured next year.
I flew on MEDL to DUS this afternoon, complete with new leather smell. Tables in CE were not setup after the domestic despite sitting around for 8 hours, and the crew said this aircraft doesn't have them (even though it does) . Still only 1 toilet at the front unlike the EUXs.

At least she still has her red horizontal stabliser, little bits of BMI still hanging on ^
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
So if it's 205 seats like the rest of the shorthaul A321s but only has one toilet in the front what's occupying the space where the toilet would be?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There used to be a second washroom in the BMED/bmi days. When it got converted to C23 (lie-flats) instead of C31, they removed the second washroom and kept the one further forward next to the flight deck, and put a closet where the second washroom was.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:57 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by BA6501
Completely agree - Y doesn't do so well, but J is often sold out despite I believe the highest fares of all airlines going West. And the 789 has a slightly smaller Y cabin...
The A321 is a bit of a staple on the route, it's been over twenty years!
And yes, the ground crew is absolutely amazing, despite a few long-standing ones having left recently. At least one of the remaining ones has been hired by BA proper, and the station manager has been there forever.

Anyway... all speculation right now regarding the fate of these five remaining birds!
I wasn't aware some had left, I know some have been rotating THR for a couple of weeks at a time to help out there. I second the ground crew, very proactive and helpful, a real credit to BA.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:51 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hi All

Does anyone know if row 19 reclines on the A321 mid-haul, row in front of emergency exit? Specifically the 2 seater D & E?

Thanks

S
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've experienced both - some recline fully and some just a bit. Doesn't make much sense (unless the one that did recline wasn't supposed to and was broken!)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by BA6501
I've experienced both - some recline fully and some just a bit. Doesn't make much sense (unless the one that did recline wasn't supposed to and was broken!)
Thanks BA6501. Had a look on the BA Source later and no indication they don't recline. Have them marked as good seats.

S
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, EI Aer Club, LifeMiles
Just adding to this thread.

I'd wager that there's a strong chance BA will operate the A321neo (perhaps converting options to the LR version) for mid haul TATL, North & West Africa, Central Asia & Middle East routes in the next decade. However for this scenario to play out, it may require a change of management due to the risk-averse nature of the current buffoons. And that only IF growth trends are good.

That said, in a hypothetical though fairly predictable post-Brexit / global economic trouble era in future, BA may need to downsize and so the A321 woudl be ideal for low CASM flights to mid haul destinations.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Can anyone help me? I am currently looking to fly back from DME on the 1/2 April 2018 in CW but do not know whether to take the BA0232 (777) or BA0234 (A321). Ideally, I would go on BA0234 (a321), but I am unsure if that plane has been switched to a short haul configuration or not. Could anyone confirm before I go ahead and book?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:06 am
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Can anyone help me? I am currently looking to fly back from DME on the 1/2 April 2018 in CW but do not know whether to take the BA0232 (777) or BA0234 (A321). Ideally, I would go on BA0234 (a321), but I am unsure if that plane has been switched to a short haul configuration or not. Could anyone confirm before I go ahead and book?
Currently, all DME flights are operated as long haul flights either on a Mid-Haul A321 or 777 therefore cabins are classed as World Traveller and Club World on an A321 and if a 777, includes First and World Traveller Plus. There have been the odd few occasions where the aircraft has been subbed with a S/h A320. Last winter timetable saw the 777 slot being carried out by a 788 but not sure if that was daily.

S
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Currently, all DME flights are operated as long haul flights either on a Mid-Haul A321 or 777 therefore cabins are classed as World Traveller and Club World on an A321 and if a 777, includes First and World Traveller Plus. There have been the odd few occasions where the aircraft has been subbed with a S/h A320. Last winter timetable saw the 777 slot being carried out by a 788 but not sure if that was daily.

S
Thanks! I am slightly concerned about getting a A320, so I will likely book the 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.