Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's unlawful 0844 numbers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Which of BA's numbers do you believe to be unlawful?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:11 pm
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meli gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Which of BA's numbers do you believe to be unlawful?
For example the number 0844 493 0787 published at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...out_Country=GB breaches the legislation. This 0844 prefix is surcharged by all UK providers above the cost of a basic rate call.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by nfh
For example the number 0844 493 0787 published at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...out_Country=GB breaches the legislation. This 0844 prefix is surcharged by all UK providers above the cost of a basic rate call.
I think BA may have discharged their obligations under the new Regulation. It does provide a 03xxx number in that list for customer relations.

Obviously these are very new Regulations and yet to be tested. There is nothing wrong with BA using 0844 numbers, the question is what is the scope of Para 41 when it comes to making contact with BA to alter the contract where an additional charge is payable to BA in any event? Does that form a new contract? Do such changes fall under para 41? Even if those numbers do fall foul of Para 41(1) then Para 41(2) provides an easy remedy. Ergo, I believe the topic title is wrong, the numbers are not unlawful. They may be unlawful in certain limited circumstances, but even then BA have provided a 03 number for customer relations which could satisfy Para 41(1).

I've not had opportunity to properly consider the new Regs, but I have read sufficient to be satisfied that the 0844 numbers are not unlawful.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Most reputable traders are now observing both the spirit and the letter of the law. If Easyjet and others feel able to comply I wonder why BA cannot?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Most reputable traders are now observing both the spirit and the letter of the law. If Easyjet and others feel able to comply I wonder why BA cannot?
The spirit doesn't matter, it is the wording that is relevent. Perhaps BA feels that it is meeting its obligations and does not need to change unless someone successfully takes action
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:06 am

I think BA may have discharged their obligations under the new Regulation.
Ergo, I believe the topic title is wrong, the numbers are not unlawful.
IThey may be unlawful in certain limited circumstances,
I've not had opportunity to properly consider the new Regs, but I have read sufficient to be satisfied that the 0844 numbers are not unlawful.
So we have 2 might be okay and two not unlawfuls.

Do I take an average?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The spirit doesn't matter,
Utterly wrong on so many levels.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Utterly wrong on so many levels.
What levels. BA is required to comply with UK laws. If it is complying with UK laws, then what is the issue?

If it is not complying, then there is an issue

Reading the document , I cannot see that BA is out of compliance for its telephone sales, but possibly issues for existing bookings depending on whether it counts as a helpline

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 14, 2014 at 12:46 am
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
"Exceptional circumstances"?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 1:35 am

What levels. BA is required to comply with UK laws. If it is complying with UK laws, then what is the issue?
Any business that sets out with an intention of minimum compliance won't be around very long, for the following reasons.

1) a business can never fully control it's operations. Therefore if you aim for minimum compliance, your margin for error is zero and you will fail regularly.
2) if you ignore the intent of the law enough, the letter of the law will be amended until it does alter behaviour
3) but most importantly, customers like good customer service and if you find yourself regularly relying on your T&Cs to reinforce your position, ultimately you'll end up with no customers.

So, as I said, wrong on many levels. But I'm happy for you to prove me wrong by finding a reputable business that states it's business intention is minimum compliance with the law.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Any business that sets out with an intention of minimum compliance won't be around very long, for the following reasons.

1) a business can never fully control it's operations. Therefore if you aim for minimum compliance, your margin for error is zero and you will fail regularly.
2) if you ignore the intent of the law enough, the letter of the law will be amended until it does alter behaviour
3) but most importantly, customers like good customer service and if you find yourself regularly relying on your T&Cs to reinforce your position, ultimately you'll end up with no customers.

So, as I said, wrong on many levels. But I'm happy for you to prove me wrong by finding a reputable business that states it's business intention is minimum compliance with the law.
I think you have oversimplified this with your 'sprinkling of common sense'. In some circumstances going beyond the minimum requirements, in a truly competitive market, would undermine your business prospects.

In terms of adherence to the bare minimum of legislative requirements, when it comes to taxation, we have a very long list of successful companies that follow that exact route.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:41 am

The airline is either compliant with the law or not compliant; it is a simple binary state

If the law changes, then as long as change operation to be compliant, then no issue

Passengers like cheap fares; if the fares are cheap, they will return

From reading the document, it would seem at 1st reading that sales lines are not required to have geographic numbers
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:45 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meli gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
From reading the document, it would seem at 1st reading that sales lines are not required to have geographic numbers
Correct. Look at how Ryanair have implemented their telephone numbers. They have a surcharged number for sales but a basic rate number for after-sales.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:52 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

I think BA may have discharged their obligations under the new Regulation. It does provide a 03xxx number in that list for customer relations.
This is clearly not the case. Looking through the list of telephone numbers at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...out_Country=GB, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 14th and 15th telephone numbers do not comply, given that all these numbers are for contacting BA about specific matters in relation to the contract concluded.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
From the BIS document (page 24):

So would they have to provide a non-0844 number for post-sales issues but still be able to provide only a 0844 number for new bookings and sales?
The list of numbers is interesting. The 0344 number is only given once, with 2nd priority to an 0844 number, under customer relations and baggage reclaims.

Every other number is an 084 number. If the rule is that 084 can only be used for new bookings and sales, BA are interpreting that for every other of the 14 categories, including cancellations, baggage reclaims (only), minicom for the hearing impaired, tracing delayed baggage, baggage allowance enquiries, special requests, flight arrival/departure information and other enquiries.

Presumably 'cancellations' could be construed as a sale because often a penalty applies - but bearing in mind the original sale and transaction has already occurred and no extra money is charged even that is questionable.

I think the spirit of the legislation does matter, although I think BA have complied with neither the spirit or the letter of the law here.

edited to add, post crossed with nfh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.