Wiki Posts
Search

BA's unlawful 0844 numbers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:23 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meli gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
BA's unlawful 0844 numbers

084 and 087 numbers have been made unlawful for customer service lines with effect from today, 13th June 2014, by Regulation 41 of the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Payments) Regulations 2013. The full rules are explained on pages 20 & 21 of BIS's implementation guidance; the effect is that customer service numbers now have to operate on basic rate 01, 02 or 03 prefixes. The legislation originates from Article 21 of Directive 2011/83/EU on Consumer Rights, so similar rules apply all over the European Union and the wider European Economic Area. The directive excluded passenger transport services from the ban, but the UK decided to omit this exclusion when enacting the directive in the UK. Therefore airlines' telephone numbers are covered by the legislation in the UK, but not in all other EU and EEA countries.

The UK legislation was enacted six months ago and the directive was published years ago. Therefore why is British Airways at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...out_Country=GB continuing to publish unlawful 0844 numbers?

Regulation 41(2) gives consumers an automatic legal right to reimbursement of the surcharge from British Airways, which can be enforced through the Small Claims track of the County Court. Therefore perhaps we should all call BA on its unlawful 0844 numbers and then flood BA with claims for reimbursement! That would bring a swift end to these unlawful telephone numbers.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I was just coming here to post the same thing. Even Ruinair has managed to get an 0330 number in place.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
From the BIS document (page 24):

9. Sales lines, and those offering services paid for through a phone bill (e.g. a
weatherline) are unaffected.
So would they have to provide a non-0844 number for post-sales issues but still be able to provide only a 0844 number for new bookings and sales?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
are the charges different for 1, 2, 3 from the 084?

I have the 'calling from abroad' number in my phone as I get free calls on my plan but get charged 14p for calling the 'normal' BA 084... number.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:44 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meli gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by KARFA
So would they have to provide a non-0844 number for post-sales issues but still be able to provide only a 0844 number for new bookings and sales?
Correct, but no business will do this because surcharged numbers deter sales. The more usual practice is 0800 for sales and 084/087 for existing customers. In any case, BA uses the same number for both new and existing bookings.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Yes, 01x, 02x and 03x are included in your package minutes as they are truly standard geographic rate (albeit that 03x is non-geographic).
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by KARFA
From the BIS document (page 24):

Correct. They can charge what they like for sales calls, the theory being that consumers are free to shop around. It is post sales calls that must be 01/02/03/080.
Originally Posted by chris1979

I have the 'calling from abroad' number in my phone as I get free calls on my plan but get charged 14p for calling the 'normal' BA 084... number.
Yes, they are. You've answered your own question

I am told that ringing the "calling from abroad" number from a UK phone will get a recorded message saying you have to ring the 0844 number. I have never tried this and have no need to as I ring the silver line which is 0800.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
my big issue with 0844 numbers is that the company receive money on every call they receive
why should a company be paid for me calling them
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1979
Yes. Charges for 01, 02 and 03 numbers are at your provider's basic rate and will be covered by any inclusive allowances. 084 and 087 numbers are surcharged, often significantly, and the called party receives revenue from this, either as money or as services such as call routing facilities. That's why they have been banned.
Formerly known as Tim Farrell

Originally Posted by stifle
I am told that ringing the "calling from abroad" number from a UK phone will get a recorded message saying you have to ring the 0844 number. I have never tried this and have no need to as I ring the silver line which is 0800.
The 0191 number knows you're calling from the UK using caller ID. If you choose to withhold your number...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:49 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
my big issue with 0844 numbers is that the company receive money on every call they receive
why should a company be paid for me calling them
That is exactly why the European Union has banned this unfair commercial practice and why the UK extended the ban to cover airlines.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Tim Farrell
The 0191 number knows you're calling from the UK using caller ID. If you choose to withhold your number...
I didn't realise until recently that you can withhold your number from a mobile phone by prefixing the number with #31#
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:54 am

easyjet have also posted an 03 number
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I didn't realise until recently that you can withhold your number from a mobile phone by prefixing the number with #31#
from what I understand is you do the same as with a landline just dial 141 then the number and this withholds your number
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:56 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
I am told that ringing the "calling from abroad" number from a UK phone will get a recorded message saying you have to ring the 0844 number.
Correct, but I tried this today and BA appears to have recently removed this restriction. However, this is not enough to comply with the legislation. The 0191 numbers (or any other 01/02/03 numbers) must now be published at least as prominently as any surcharged numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.