Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's unlawful 0844 numbers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by nfh
I notice that Ryanair's contact numbers now comply only by the bare minimum.
Originally Posted by Ryanair's contact numbers
Our customer service number for complaints regarding our Premium Rate number is as follows 0844 2098715, £0.05 per minute
A premium rate number to complain about their premium rate number... I... Errr... *head explodes*
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
Originally Posted by csutter
A premium rate number to complain about their premium rate number... I... Errr... *head explodes*
surely it's a joke!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
0844 numbers do not fall under the definition of 'premium rate' telephone numbers. They are known as 'business rate' numbers.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
PhonePayPlus says that you can offer an 08 premium number (but not an 09 premium number) to complain about a premium number as long as you refund the cost of a complaint call to anyone who asks you to.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:08 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
0844 numbers do not fall under the definition of 'premium rate' telephone numbers. They are known as 'business rate' numbers.
Whose definition of "premium rate" are you referring to? An 084 or 087 number shares the same characteristics as an 09 number, in that all of them are charged at more than a basic rate call and the called party receives revenue for the call. The magnitude of the surcharge is irrelevant; there is still a premium.

The fact that PhonepayPlus regulates only specific prefixes of premium rate number does not change the fact that all of these numbers are premium rate. In any case, the legislation doesn't refer to premium rate numbers but to paying "more than the basic rate".
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by stifle
PhonePayPlus says that you can offer an 08 premium number (but not an 09 premium number) to complain about a premium number as long as you refund the cost of a complaint call to anyone who asks you to.
File under: Real life once again outperforming satire.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Do they fall under the definition of "unnecessarily pissing people off?"
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by nfh
Whose definition of "premium rate" are you referring to? An 084 or 087 number shares the same characteristics as an 09 number, in that all of them are charged at more than a basic rate call and the called party receives revenue for the call. The magnitude of the surcharge is irrelevant; there is still a premium.

The fact that PhonepayPlus regulates only specific prefixes of premium rate number does not change the fact that all of these numbers are premium rate. In any case, the legislation doesn't refer to premium rate numbers but to paying "more than the basic rate".
They are not premium rate numbers, irrespective of the characteristics of their perceived use.

The definitions and numbering conventions are stipulated by Ofcom, 084 numbers are not 'premium rate' they are 'business rate' numbers and come under the general description of 'special services' numbers. Ofcom are responsible for regulating these numbers.

Premium rate numbers are regulated by PhonepayPlus, they are differently regulated services despite your assertions to the contrary.

Originally Posted by SteveF
Do they fall under the definition of "unnecessarily pissing people off?"
That they do. Especially those who have to call them from mobile phones or internationally. I blame the greedy mobile phone networks for that.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
BA seems to be lazy when it comes to these types of things. In Canada when the law was finally changed so that every airline was required to include all taxes and scamcharges in their advertised fares BA didn't get around to it on their website for a couple of months although everybody else had complied on the required date.
Well, BA has started charging fuel surcharges again for award flights originating in Brazil, despite this has been unlawful for several years.
It's masked, as you cannot buy a ticket online and have to call, and they don't tell you what's included in the cash component. Will probably last, as they seem to get away with it.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
084x numbers from mobiles can vary from 20-25p/minute in the UK. A few laughed at me when I had a moan at this saying it's only 20p, then I said you call CS lines with up to 10 min waits several times then you're getting close to your monthly mobile line rental.

0800 numbers are charged too from mobiles, though this practice is changing too in a few years time.

For 0800 numbers I use 0800buster from my mobile.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
FWIW Lufthansa also appear to be breaking the new rules with an 0871 number as the only number you can contact them on.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
is the OP a Judge ? What remit do he have to declare BA charges unlawful? Could the OP come back to us when he has succeeded his case in court?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:24 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Lgwfan
is the OP a Judge ? What remit do he have to declare BA charges unlawful? Could the OP come back to us when he has succeeded his case in court?
It's good to have BA's Chief Counsel on the board. Welcome!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:54 pm
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by Lgwfan
The surcharged numbers are unlawful based on BIS's guidance. BIS were the authors of the UK legislation. If you don't feel this is enough, then feel free to take it to court. There is no objective justification for this unfair commercial practice, hence the legislation against it.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I for one would like to thank the OP for bringing this to our attention

I have always been reluctant to use such numbers but sometimes it is unavoidable

hopefully BA will do the right thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.