Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's unlawful 0844 numbers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by stifle
Correct. They can charge what they like for sales calls, the theory being that consumers are free to shop around. It is post sales calls that must be 01/02/03/080.

Yes, they are. You've answered your own question

I am told that ringing the "calling from abroad" number from a UK phone will get a recorded message saying you have to ring the 0844 number. I have never tried this and have no need to as I ring the silver line which is 0800.
calling the "calling from abroad" number from my UK cell phone for the Gold and GGL lines has always worked for me (and I often do the same for Amex and others).

Didnt realise I had answered my own question. I guess I knew it for 01 and 02 ones but 03 numbers are still new so didn't know they fitted into same category.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by nfh
Correct, but I tried this today and BA appears to have recently removed this restriction. However, this is not enough to comply with the legislation. The 0191 numbers (or any other 01/02/03 numbers) must now be published at least as prominently as any surcharged numbers.
as just said, never had that problem but just checked and Gold is 0800 which is included in my plan and GGL is not an 0191 number so I am not sure I've ever tried 0191.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by chris1979
I get free calls on my plan but get charged 14p for calling the 'normal' BA 084... number.
Assuming that you have a smartphone, just use one of the numerous Apps which give you free (within your calling plan) access to 08xx numbers. I use WeQ4U.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA are still showing 0844 numbers to all departments, except Exec gold/silver/bronze but then if you have an issue with say flight/car they say to call the 0844 holiday number.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Looks like someone in Compliance has dropped the ball...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
BA seems to be lazy when it comes to these types of things. In Canada when the law was finally changed so that every airline was required to include all taxes and scamcharges in their advertised fares BA didn't get around to it on their website for a couple of months although everybody else had complied on the required date.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Airlines can do what they like, well that's how they sometimes behave.

I will be asking the next time I call BA why they are not complying. Maybe we should all do the same.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
calling 14101914907901 on a mobile gets you around paying the premium fee
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SteveF
Assuming that you have a smartphone, just use one of the numerous Apps which give you free (within your calling plan) access to 08xx numbers. I use WeQ4U.
I hadn't seen these apps and that's useful advice - thank you. ^
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by DavidPM
I hadn't seen these apps and that's useful advice - thank you. ^
My pleasure .
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Originally Posted by nfh
084 and 087 numbers have been made unlawful for customer service lines with effect from today, 13th June 2014...
To be very technical about it, they have been prohibited in respect of contracts made on or after today. So there is actually nothing wrong in BA using an 0844 number if your booking was made before today.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:10 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meli gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by stifle
I was just coming here to post the same thing. Even Ruinair has managed to get an 0330 number in place.
I notice that Ryanair's contact numbers now comply only by the bare minimum. Ryanair now publishes a surcharged number for "new bookings" and a basic rate number for "post booking queries" for some countries, e.g. the UK, Austria, France, Belgium, Sweden, Norway and Finland. I assume that all these countries, like the UK, wisely chose to omit the exclusion for passenger transport services in their national legislation. For other countries, e.g. Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Hungary, Italy, Spain and Poland, it publishes one number for "new bookings and general queries", so I assume that these countries neglected to omit the exclusion for passenger transport services from their national legislation.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by nfh
That is exactly why the European Union has banned this unfair commercial practice and why the UK extended the ban to cover airlines.
About time the UK got out of the EU, bloody Eurocrats telling us not to pay extra...
hang on...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by visualAd
Airlines can do what they like, well that's how they sometimes behave.

I will be asking the next time I call BA why they are not complying. Maybe we should all do the same.
I had no clue about this until coming on here today. There's been no communication at all from BA to contact centre staff about any changes in the telephone number. So the agent you ask will probably not be able to give you an answer.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by nfh
Correct, but I tried this today and BA appears to have recently removed this restriction. However, this is not enough to comply with the legislation. The 0191 numbers (or any other 01/02/03 numbers) must now be published at least as prominently as any surcharged numbers.
It is unclear whether the above is correct. The law merely states that "a consumer contacting the trader must not be bound to pay more than the basic rate". It does not state anything about what number must be prominent, and it would be for a court to decide whether a consumer is "bound to pay" when a non-surcharged number is available.

I appreciate various guidance may exist which says other things, but it is guidance and no more. Only a court can interpret the law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.