Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
...It might be fun to nominate a weekly FT BAEC destination with a lunch or dinner in the middle of the day.

We get as many people as possible into decent lounges in LHR, have a few drinks, part company for the day, get together for some food and then enjoy the flight back as a group
The poor cabin crew...!

But it does sound like a plan.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
On the downside, I've heard the Blue Lounge in LIS is crap
This is true.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Mart81
Definitely Gamla Stan (the old city)
If you would like to see many different Swedish houses in a small place without travelling the country I would recommend Skansen, it's an open-air museum with lots of different styles of architecture from the south to the north as well as native wildlife (wolves, moose etc.)

Not too far away is Vasamuseet (Wasa Museum) with the remains of an old merchant ship.
+ 1 to the above.

The ship is really excellent, and well worth a visit IMHO.

More here: http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Any plans to open this up the other way? I would love a cheap, weekend trip to London. Especially if you can somehow make it Saturday to Sunday.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Right then, I'm off to Barcelona on Sunday.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thinking of doing a day trip to GVA on Saturday 17th May. I am counting on fewer people going skiing in May!

I wanted somewhere by the sea and with higher chance of sun, but there is not much else available for that date.

The the OP(s) that did the day trip to GVA, which flights did you take? I'd be tempted to take the 9:20 AM one to avoid waking up before 6 AM, but then I'm afraid it'll be too little time in Geneva.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:31 am

Just booked day return this saturday3rd may to Geneva ,,,, £58 .

Tried to buy some euros today!!! That wouldn't have got me far there! But , what do I know?

Think I might just stay in the terminal when I get there, I'm a bit nervous ,but got caught up in the day return frenzy, and hey for less than £60 it has to be a good deal! Right?

If anyone is around 'at LHR between 0800 and 1100 I would love to be guested into CCR ( again) or even thr flounge,
Or if anyone wants guesting into galleries lounge ,I would be grateful for the company.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Sards

Tried to buy some euros today!!! That wouldn't have got me far there! But , what do I know?

Think I might just stay in the terminal when I get there, I'm a bit nervous ,but got caught up in the day return frenzy, and hey for less than £60 it has to be a good deal! Right?

If anyone is around 'at LHR between 0800 and 1100 I would love to be guested into CCR ( again) or even thr flounge,
Or if anyone wants guesting into galleries lounge ,I would be grateful for the company.
How did you get such a low fare?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:13 pm

I used 3000 avios for a £20 discount, from £80 then when I came to pay it said £58,
Mind you , car parking at LHR is costing me £20
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:29 pm

I used 3000 avios for a £20 discount, from £80 then when I came to pay it said £58,
Mind you , car parking at LHR is costing me £20
I'll take the tube
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:25 am
Original Poster

4 friends just booked a trip to Lisbon this Sunday, still showing available so must be at least that many up for grabs on each flight...

Good time to avoid the 'arctic blast' forecast for the coming bank holiday weekending the UK!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Think I might just stay in the terminal when I get there, I'm a bit nervous ,but got caught up in the day return frenzy,.
When I was a skint backpacker in the 70's I ended up in Geneva. The cafe prices back then were eye watering so I ended up buying the cheapest thing I could find....some bread thing from a street seller which tasted disgusting as it had anchovies in it. My aim was to see the fountain that used to feature on The Champions TV series so once I'd seen that I about turned and headed back to the train station.

Must return some day and see more now that I'm not so financially embarrassed.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:25 pm

Come with me Hiddy.
I don think I will get far form the airport as I only have a few hours to spare,and no francs so far,
Still , I'm optimistic about it all,
I was so 'in love' with Stuart Damon in those days, didn't like William gaunt much, but was massively jealous of the beautiful Alexandra Bastedo.
Ah, happy memories ,( I was very , very young by the way, not quite in your league yet)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Definitely a good deal, and don't be scared about jumping on the train one stop to Geneva Cornavin station. You selected a very good city for a day trip: the airport is amazingly close to the centre of the town, about 3 miles, you could even walk it, but the train takes just a few minutes and there are services every few minutes. From there you are just a few hundred metres from Lake Geneva (lac Léman). There are maps and signs all over Geneva so there's no risk of getting seriously lost. Furthermore, if you snaffled some sandwiches from M&S before you left you could do this for next to no cash, since there is a free ticket dispenser for the railway to Geneva, towards the end of the baggage collection area, just before you exit. OK, you will probably end up paying for the return ticket, but that can be done on plastic.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Are these LHR only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.