Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver
    Originally Posted by Virazuno
    My gut feeling says that activation has nothing to do with it, and it's when you receive the card.

But...

Why don't you just phone them up and ask??
    If it was a grey area I didn't want to ring any bells but I guess I will give them a call and update you guys.
    Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:11 pm
    nvh

If it helps then with the AMEX Platinum Charge Card. the fee is charged from the date you are accepted... for various reasons it took me a while to activate it (*cough* over a month), and the prompt was receiving the first statement with the £450 fee added to it :/
    Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:04 pm

If I downgrade my BA PP card, can I upgrade it to PP at a later date?
    Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver
    This is the answer I got is:

1. I'd like you to know the annual fee for the Card is charged on the first statement irrespective of from when you start using the Card. However, there are Cards available which are annual fee free or no annual fee for the first year only.

You may visit the following link to view and apply for the Card: https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/all-cards/

2. I confirm your first three months to spend for the welcome bonus starts from your Card start date and not from the day the Card is activated.

So in short, if you don't activate it, you don't start paying the annual fee as you would not get your first statement. Yet, the three months depends on the start date rather than activation.
    Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Originally Posted by meinnit
    If I downgrade my BA PP card, can I upgrade it to PP at a later date?
    Yes (with no PP sign up bonus), but the more beneficial option is to cancel and then wait 6 months so you get the sign-up bonus.

Or if it's an option refer your partner instead so you each get a bonus.
    Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:23 am
    nvh

Originally Posted by umbyboy
    So in short, if you don't activate it, you don't start paying the annual fee as you would not get your first statement. Yet, the three months depends on the start date rather than activation.
    FWIW, based on my experience I think you're wrong and you will get a statement based on the (for want of a better word) 'account opening' (ie. the date they say yes and post out your card). Regardless of whether you have subsequently activate your card or not
    Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: EBG, FBG, SPG Gold, CC Gold, etc.
    How would my fellow FTers judge the current 9,000 avios welcome bonus? Does it improve with a referral?

Thanks and have a good weekend
    Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by Everest
    How would my fellow FTers judge the current 9,000 avios welcome bonus? Does it improve with a referral?

Thanks and have a good weekend
    Yes, you get 10,000 Avios instead of 9,000. I'd be happy to refer you
    Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: EBG, FBG, SPG Gold, CC Gold, etc.
    What about the premium one?
    Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by Everest
    What about the premium one?
    Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
    Question using AMEX 241/GUF2 & Joker

Is you are using the above can you use these for a routing LHR/MIA returning BCN/LGW.
    Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
    I think you're being optimistic there. AIUI the card fee is an item that will trigger a statement, and even if that logic is wrong it'll be activated from acceptance / delivery / similar.

I can't fully recall the details, but I applied for a PP planning to take it on a 3 week trip with me to load up the initial spend. It arrived a day or so after I had left so I couldn't use or activate it, but the 3-month period still ran from the delivery date (or nearby).
    Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
    Originally Posted by col747uk
    Is you are using the above can you use these for a routing LHR/MIA returning BCN/LGW.
    As long as you find such routing on a BA plane and available booking class...
    Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Originally Posted by col747uk
    No, the construction of an open jaw requires that the open leg MIA-BCN is shorter than both the flown legs. It clearly isn't shorter than BCN-LGW.
    Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:21 pm
    :D!
    Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
    Originally Posted by nvh
    FWIW, based on my experience I think you're wrong and you will get a statement based on the (for want of a better word) 'account opening' (ie. the date they say yes and post out your card). Regardless of whether you have subsequently activate your card or not
    Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
    I can't fully recall the details, but I applied for a PP planning to take it on a 3 week trip with me to load up the initial spend. It arrived a day or so after I had left so I couldn't use or activate it, but the 3-month period still ran from the delivery date (or nearby).
    You don't actually need to activate the card in order to spend on it, but transactions for larger amounts may get declined until you do.

The start date for the fee and the bonus-qualifying spend is the date the account was opened, which may be the date you applied or a few days after.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.