Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by SteveF
    He did say if you downgraded, not if the account was closed though.
    Yes good point. And from memory you have to pay the taxes/fuel surcharge etc with the same BA Amex. Well fingers crossed for my friend that they reinstate his cards and account with no problem. Guess there isn't much he can do but wait...
    Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Yes please
    Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
    Yes good point. And from memory you have to pay the taxes/fuel surcharge etc with the same BA Amex. Well fingers crossed for my friend that they reinstate his cards and account with no problem. Guess there isn't much he can do but wait...
    I think that is not quite right. You do have to pay the charges with an Amex card but it can be any Amex card.
    Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:15 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Originally Posted by SouthOxon
    I think that is not quite right. You do have to pay the charges with an Amex card but it can be any Amex card.
    Correct in practice.

And it doesn't even have to be your Amex card as Amex does not do name verification.
    Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver
    Amex

Originally Posted by Raffles
    Correct in practice.

And it doesn't even have to be your Amex card as Amex does not do name verification.
    So what you are saying is, I can cancel my BA Black Amex and still use my voucher. Yet, this is not what they tell us on the phone. Any idea on how we can convince them that cancelling the Black Amex does not cancel the voucher? Thanks

P.s. The reason why I want to cancel is that with the 6 months rule I can then reapply and get the welcome bonus again.
    Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by umbyboy
    So what you are saying is, I can cancel my BA Black Amex and still use my voucher. Yet, this is not what they tell us on the phone. Any idea on how we can convince them that cancelling the Black Amex does not cancel the voucher? Thanks

P.s. The reason why I want to cancel is that with the 6 months rule I can then reapply and get the welcome bonus again.
    You're misunderstanding. If you cancel the BA Amex card, you lose the voucher.

What people are saying is that when you pay tax for the tickets purchased with the voucher, you don't have to pay with the BA card.
    Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver
    Originally Posted by ringingup
    You're misunderstanding. If you cancel the BA Amex card, you lose the voucher.

What people are saying is that when you pay tax for the tickets purchased with the voucher, you don't have to pay with the BA card.
    That is not what Raffles is saying. Yet, it seems like my only option to keep the voucher is to downgrade to a free card.

Last edited by umbyboy; Dec 13, 2015 at 11:24 am
    Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    When does the £150 annual fee get applied to the card? Is it on opening the account, or at the end of the year?
    Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by HHarry
    When does the £150 annual fee get applied to the card? Is it on opening the account, or at the end of the year?
    Mine was about a month after opening. On the first statement certainly.
    Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
    Silly question but here goes. My baec seemed to default to Ireland which I've corrected. Amex then wrote to me since saying they couldn't credit miles because of the country of residence on baec and that I needed to contact ba.

Do I really have to do this for them manually change this or will it all fall into place next month? I'm asking because I'm sick of speaking to ba customer services. I really have discussed about ten separate problems with them in the past few months and although they've come up trumps on some of them, its been an ordeal. Clearly I would prefer not to have to contact them if possible.
    Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:47 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
    Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
    Looking for a bit of experience please. My dad has just earned his second Amex 2-4-1, the first is currently "used" against a ticketed but yet unflown redemption. The new voucher we have received has an expiry in later 2017. If he drops down to the free BA Amex from the BA PP Amex will the expiry date of this recently earned voucher be adversely affected?
    Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
    Originally Posted by BHDBOY
    Looking for a bit of experience please. My dad has just earned his second Amex 2-4-1, the first is currently "used" against a ticketed but yet unflown redemption. The new voucher we have received has an expiry in later 2017. If he drops down to the free BA Amex from the BA PP Amex will the expiry date of this recently earned voucher be adversely affected?
    No.
    Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club

Last edited by MaximusDecimusMeridius; Jan 2, 2016 at 8:24 am
    Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, VS Red, AMEX Plat Plus
    Hi guys

If you're a supplementary card holder on another BA AMEX, are you able to apply for your own? If you cancel the card after say 3 months once you get the bonus avios for £3k spend, do you get a partial refund on the £150 annual cost? So cancel after 3 months would you get £112.50 back?

Cheers
    Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by deno86
    Hi guys

If you're a supplementary card holder on another BA AMEX, are you able to apply for your own? If you cancel the card after say 3 months once you get the bonus avios for £3k spend, do you get a partial refund on the £150 annual cost? So cancel after 3 months would you get £112.50 back?

Cheers
    Yes. If you cancel the card part way through the year you get a pro-rataed refund of the annual fee - page 7 of the terms

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/co...Plus-TandC.pdf

Any annual fee paid in advance in respect of the remaining part of the year in which your Account is closed will be returned to you pro-rata taking into consideration the length of time until the start of your next membership year.
    Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by deno86
    Hi guys

If you're a supplementary card holder on another BA AMEX, are you able to apply for your own?
    And yes to this question as well. Being a supplementary cardholder doesn't stop you taking out your own card and receiving the introductory bonus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.