Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 4:27 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by NeverFirst
    I just called Amex and asked to downgrade to the free BA card. They refused.
    So I asked to close my account and now they're making me jump through hoops to do that (I'm currently on the phone with them being transferred to "another department").

Edited to add: cancellation department downgraded me and I'll get a pro-rata refund of whatever I paid last year. Still, an unnecessarily awkward process...
    Successfully downgraded from the PP card this morning, using their on-line chat facility. A couple of points to note for those with a PP card thinking of doing the same:

+ Card number and date unchanged, card [and partner] remain in use until new card is activated. New card eta 7-10 days by post.
    + Existing BA companion vouchers retain all the T&C extant when the voucher was earned [any cabin, 2-year validity].
    + £195 p/a card fee saved, with a pro-rate refund of unused months.

- New Companion Vouchers only valid for Eeekonomy [so I won't be using them!].
    - Shorter [1 year] validity of Companion voucher.
    - Lower Avios earning [1 per £1 spend]

On the basis that finding redemption seats continues to be extremely difficult, and normal prices are shockingly high, we will just use our 1m Avios to abate cash fares. And we will need cash fares over the next 12 months to renew Gold ... or perhaps accept Silveryness as our 'new normal'.

It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by T8191; May 18, 2022 at 5:04 am Reason: typos
    Old May 18, 2022, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by T8191
    Just to be clear, is this just for the non premium card?

Because if you can't use them for business class, they're useless to me.
    Old May 18, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
    Originally Posted by RG1X
    Just to be clear, is this just for the non premium card?

Because if you can't use them for business class, they're useless to me.
    Correct the premium card vouchers work on Business and First too
    T8191 and RG1X like this.
    Old May 18, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
    I just took out the platinum card offer of 60k points to go alongside to go alongside the premium card. Think i will wind down the premium card. 60k points to avios is good enough for 1st class one way on Qatar basically on the 380. The priority pass benefit i think is good enough going forward rather than chasing BA gold just to go in the F lounge from time to time. The surcharge of 1k GBP +100k avios for J just feels like a bad deal to me on the companion spend ticket when every other decent airline will let you redeem miles + about 40gbp for the same sort of long haul J flight.
    Old May 18, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
    Originally Posted by T8191
    Successfully downgraded from the PP card this morning, using their on-line chat facility. A couple of points to note for those with a PP card thinking of doing the same:

+ Card number and date unchanged, card [and partner] remain in use until new card is activated. New card eta 7-10 days by post.
    + Existing BA companion vouchers retain all the T&C extant when the voucher was earned [any cabin, 2-year validity].
    + £195 p/a card fee saved, with a pro-rate refund of unused months.

On the basis that finding redemption seats continues to be extremely difficult, and normal prices are shockingly high, we will just use our 1m Avios to abate cash fares. And we will need cash fares over the next 12 months to renew Gold ... or perhaps accept Silveryness as our 'new normal'.

It was fun while it lasted.
    It's a difficult one. We too have noticed the reduced redemption availability in business long haul no matter what BA say about more seats. Of course lots of people are using up avios and vouchers saved up during covid so maybe not surprising. We're doing the opposite to you by going large on double tier point holidays (targetting 3700 bonus TPs between us) and trying to get to a point where we can use up our increasing large avios stash & companion vouchers with jokers. If that doesn't work we'll probably end up doing the same as you or convert them into nectar points to get about 2 years shopping at Sainsbury's.
    T8191 likes this.
    Old May 18, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: BA silver
    Can’t find this on the wiki so maybe someone can confirm for me.
    I have a 241 J return to SYD next year but now want to just take the outbound and cancel the return. Can I do this and get the relevant taxes and Avios returned? If so can this be done online? Thx in advance for any help
    Old May 18, 2022, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by firstlight
    It's a difficult one. We too have noticed the reduced redemption availability in business long haul no matter what BA say about more seats. Of course lots of people are using up avios and vouchers saved up during covid so maybe not surprising. We're doing the opposite to you by going large on double tier point holidays (targetting 3700 bonus TPs between us) and trying to get to a point where we can use up our increasing large avios stash & companion vouchers with jokers. If that doesn't work we'll probably end up doing the same as you or convert them into nectar points to get about 2 years shopping at Sainsbury's.
    Same here. This year is about getting my status back, and keeping my spending under the 2-4-1 trigger limit until the last minute (or at least, I would if I could see the target).

Then I'll take advantage next year when most people have burned through their vouchers.
    T8191 likes this.
    Old May 18, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
    Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
    Can’t find this on the wiki so maybe someone can confirm for me.
    I have a 241 J return to SYD next year but now want to just take the outbound and cancel the return. Can I do this and get the relevant taxes and Avios returned? If so can this be done online? Thx in advance for any help
    Yes I think you can cancel the return, you're effectively just using the voucher one way starting in LHR which the old vouchers allowed (new vouchers allow you to start outside the UK). You will have to pay £35 per passenger to do so as BWC won't apply I don't know whether you can do so online as that functionality hasn't really returned other than to apply for a FTV which no longer applies to 2-4-1 reward bookings anyway. I think it's better to call.
    Dorsetboy likes this.
    Old May 30, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    I’m trying to use my BAPP voucher. It’s the new one with supposedly enhanced availability, but I can’t see any extra.

Im flexible on dates I can travel to Vegas. On June 22nd there are 9+ I class seats available according to Expert Flyer, but there is no reward availability with the premium voucher.

Might I be searching incorrectly or did this promised additional never materialise?
    Old May 30, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
    @T8191 Have you downgraded before? I currently have the premium card with two companion vouchers expiring towards end of 2023 (extended due to covid and a converted FTV) and soon to earn a third.

I think I'll downgrade the premium card when the third CV is earned.

I'm wondering does the call centre get funny if people upgrade/downgrade annually? Or is the quite standard practice that people earn the CV then downgrade, then upgrade again at the start of the new CV year, only to downgrade again when received.
    Old May 30, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by kingcole974
    I’m trying to use my BAPP voucher. It’s the new one with supposedly enhanced availability, but I can’t see any extra.

Im flexible on dates I can travel to Vegas. On June 22nd there are 9+ I class seats available according to Expert Flyer, but there is no reward availability with the premium voucher.

Might I be searching incorrectly or did this promised additional never materialise?
    Given the seats go on sale 355 days before the departure date, is the issue simply that your departure date is in c.3 weeks and the reward seats are taken?
    Old May 31, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by 12d121
    Given the seats go on sale 355 days before the departure date, is the issue simply that your departure date is in c.3 weeks and the reward seats are taken?
    You've totally missed my point (or my likely I made it poorly). The 355 day thing is great, but there, nothing has changed. It's what many of us have done for years. But in September, new 241's issued came at an increased card cost of over 25% and one of the benefits was that there would be greater availability. It was initially reported that if there was 'I' class available then booking a reward with the voucher would now be possible. That was then rolled back a bit and it was said if there was good 'I' class availability.

I have no need to travel to Vegas on 22nd but this date was a good example as it's showing as 'I9' yet no can do with the new voucher.
    Old May 31, 2022, 2:31 am

You've totally missed my point (or my likely I made it poorly). The 355 day thing is great, but there, nothing has changed. It's what many of us have done for years. But in September, new 241's issued came at an increased card cost of over 25% and one of the benefits was that there would be greater availability. It was initially reported that if there was 'I' class available then booking a reward with the voucher would now be possible. That was then rolled back a bit and it was said if there was good 'I' class availability.

I have no need to travel to Vegas on 22nd but this date was a good example as it's showing as 'I9' yet no can do with the new voucher.
    BA guarantee 6 reward seats per business class flight per the new policy (used to be 2). Given some long haul business flights have over 70 business seats, guaranteeing 6 is still a small proportion.

The greater availability is the increase in the minimum number per flight from 2 to 6.

I imagine there are the same number of people going for the reward tickets so on popular routes (which I imagine Vegas is), the seats will still go quickly.
    Old May 31, 2022, 3:04 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    There are plenty of reports from people who have found some additional availability that they cannot see if they use an old-style voucher.

I suspect that the main learning from what you have seen is that, although there are more award seats available to those with new-style vouchers, even cash inventory of I9 does not guarantee that there will be award seats in Club.
    Old May 31, 2022, 4:13 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by 12d121
    @T8191 Have you downgraded before? I currently have the premium card with two companion vouchers expiring towards end of 2023 (extended due to covid and a converted FTV) and soon to earn a third.

I think I'll downgrade the premium card when the third CV is earned.

I'm wondering does the call centre get funny if people upgrade/downgrade annually? Or is the quite standard practice that people earn the CV then downgrade, then upgrade again at the start of the new CV year, only to downgrade again when received.
    No, first time downgrading. ICBA to get into the card-churning game that some people enjoy!

Anyway, our greatest concern is retaining Gold, and associated benefits, rather than staying up late in the hope of catching reward seats to use our surviving 2-4-1 voucher (having already had 2 expire earlier this years!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.