Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The restroom issue is caused by BoB.
If one is sat towards the front of the cheap seats, there is no chance of using the loos to the rear.
As an "older" male customer, I have to go to the loo. I am well beyond frowns from the folks up front who pay so much for their food. By and large, CC are sympathetic to my need more than they are to the snobbery of the food-eaters.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
A question I keep meaning to ask, but it keeps slipping my mind.

On shorter trips I often go to T5 by motorbike, and park it in the motorbike parking section between the Sofitel and the terminal.

There's usually a steady trickle of BA staff (can be Cabin or flight deck crew) that seem to be heading off around the side of the Sofitel. I always thought they parked up and were bused over to the large staff car parks nearer Bath Road.

Have I unearthed a secret BA staff portal at the side of the Sofitel or is there a more straightforward explanation?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by bhbloke

On shorter trips I often go to T5 by motorbike, and park it in the motorbike parking section between the Sofitel and the terminal.

There's usually a steady trickle of BA staff (can be Cabin or flight deck crew) that seem to be heading off around the side of the Sofitel. I always thought they parked up and were bused over to the large staff car parks nearer Bath Road.

Have I unearthed a secret BA staff portal at the side of the Sofitel or is there a more straightforward explanation?
Haha, no, you've unearthed one of the portals to a staff smoking area!
bhbloke likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by bhbloke

There is a staff car park the other side of the Sofitel used by ex-bmi crew, some managers, and as bmi crew have left BA, some flight crew and Mixed Fleet crew.
bhbloke likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by bwaflyer
There is a staff car park the other side of the Sofitel used by ex-bmi crew, some managers, and as bmi crew have left BA, some flight crew and Mixed Fleet crew.
You learn something new everyday! Didn't know that, I assumed we all parked in the normal staff car park or west base if not operational.
bhbloke likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MFMainCrew

You learn something new everyday! Didn't know that, I assumed we all parked in the normal staff car park or west base if not operational.
It's lucky I asked
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by bwaflyer
...and Mixed Fleet crew.
How do I get a spot in there?!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by MFCC

How do I get a spot in there?!
That's above my pay grade!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Not strictly BA related this one but thought I would ask. While nervously awaiting my flight to DUB this afternoon I've been looking at the live flight tracker, and a lot of the flights are performing go-arounds because, I assume, of the wind.

One flight I noticed tried to land four times: twice from the north-west and twice from the east. After the fourth go, it abandoned the idea and went off to Manchester.

I thought the rule was that planes were meant to only try twice before diverting? Or is it twice per 'runway,' if you see what I mean? Or might it be different protocols for different airlines? (This was a Delta flight I'm referring to).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:33 am

There is no hard and fast rule - it’s driven by fuel. Ideally we would need a change of conditions to attempt a third landing aborted by weather but needs must
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
There is no hard and fast rule - it’s driven by fuel. Ideally we would need a change of conditions to attempt a third landing aborted by weather but needs must
Thank you - that was probably it - the first two abandoned attempts were from the north-west, then it tried again from the east, so I guess the wind direction had changed. Anyway it was all to no avail in the end.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BA, VS
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Not strictly BA related this one but thought I would ask. While nervously awaiting my flight to DUB this afternoon I've been looking at the live flight tracker, and a lot of the flights are performing go-arounds because, I assume, of the wind.

One flight I noticed tried to land four times: twice from the north-west and twice from the east. After the fourth go, it abandoned the idea and went off to Manchester.

I thought the rule was that planes were meant to only try twice before diverting? Or is it twice per 'runway,' if you see what I mean? Or might it be different protocols for different airlines? (This was a Delta flight I'm referring to).
At Heathrow, or was this somewhere else?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA LTG MM
Originally Posted by mjuler
At Heathrow, or was this somewhere else?
It was in Dublin. Have a look at the replay for DL154 on flightradar24. (I'd post the URL, but I can't until I've posted a few more times.)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: BA, VS
Originally Posted by hshs
It was in Dublin. Have a look at the replay for DL154 on flightradar24. (I'd post the URL, but I can't until I've posted a few more times.)
Thanks, here's a link:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...dl154#1dea66d1
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hshs
And a totally off topic map is below, I'm certainly pleased not to have been on this flight from BOS-DUB (ish) - MAN, and if I had I don't think I would ever be so grateful to see Wythenshawe. I hope the flight crew brought plenty of spare clothing with them. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum hshs, I hope we see more of you here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.