Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
For an autoland under CAT III conditions I believe that either there is no Decision Height or DH lower than 100ft (30 m) RA. Since my next flight on Worldflight (plug see my signature ) is CDG to LHR for the early hours of tomorrow morning and fog is forecast again I may have to do an autoland myself at LHR!
Didn't need the autoland in the end. We use active sky so that gives us real world weather. Landed 09L at 0545. RVR was 5000 so fine and only a bit of haze. Only issue was the low cloud at 700ft which meant we couldn't see the runway until relatively late. Planned for a CAT III and then did a CAT I reversion once visual. Stand 518 which was very convenient for the next crew who were departing 09R

Originally Posted by T8191
Of course, once upon a time a brilliant GCA controller could ... get quite close to modern limits

But that was with Military fast-jets
You are just showing off now
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by T8191
Of course, once upon a time a brilliant GCA controller could ... get quite close to modern limits

But that was with Military fast-jets
You are just showing off now
Lets just say that back in the slightly less stringent 60s, it was not uncommon when reaching 'break-off height' on GCA at around 250' to receive a very crisp "Keep talking" from the pilot
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
At LCY last week, our APU failed so we could not self-start the engines. We were told that the fix was to do a cross-bleed start. Presumably the whole story was that one engine would be started with ground power, and then the other with a cross-bleed start?

The more interesting thing was that we had to be towed off our stand near the western end of the apron, and parked on stand 23 at the eastern end, before this could be done. Why would this have been? Why couldn't the ground power / cross-bleed start be done at our original stand, or indeed any other stand?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
At LCY last week, our APU failed so we could not self-start the engines. We were told that the fix was to do a cross-bleed start. Presumably the whole story was that one engine would be started with ground power, and then the other with a cross-bleed start?

The more interesting thing was that we had to be towed off our stand near the western end of the apron, and parked on stand 23 at the eastern end, before this could be done. Why would this have been? Why couldn't the ground power / cross-bleed start be done at our original stand, or indeed any other stand?
Here is the relevant page from the QRH - it is for a 737-800 but the principle should be the same:

You need both ground power and ground air to get one engine running. Ground power on its own is not enough. Once you have one engine running you can start the other from the first engine and you no longer need the ground power or air.

Perhaps at LCY the ground air unit is only available at stand 23?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Perhaps at LCY the ground air unit is only available at stand 23?
The clearance behind aircraft on stand (which park nose-out from the stands at LCY) near the terminal is not great, perhaps it is not sensible to run the engines above idle on stands near the terminal building.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Rayeus
Can auto land be used with MLS or is it only applicable to ILS?
Autolands can be used with MLS.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser

As KARFA has has explained we need both ground power and air to start an engine without the APU. The "starter motor" on a jet engine is really only air - the air is used to spin up the rotating sections of the engine which provides the air part of the fuel air mix that gets burnt, the fuel is added and a spark is added and voila, engine start.

The addition of fuel and the spark requires the ground power. To crossbleed, ie take air from one engine and use it to start the other requires increased thrust from the running engine, not a massive amount, usually c 30% rotation speed on the main rotor but even that will provide a strong efflux and needs space.

We do sometimes start one on stand then push back and crossbleed but you will notice when we do that we push all the way onto the taxiway centreline before starting the second engine, all to avoid excessive jet blast.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Nov 4, 2015 at 7:00 am
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flatlander
The clearance behind aircraft on stand (which park nose-out from the stands at LCY) near the terminal is not great, perhaps it is not sensible to run the engines above idle on stands near the terminal building.
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
The addition of fuel and the spark requires the ground power. To crossbleed, ie take air from one engine and use it to start the other requires increased thrust from the running engine, not a massive amount, usually c 30% rotation speed on the main rotor but even that will provide a strong efflux and needs space.

We do sometimes start one on stand then push back and crossbleed but you will notice when we do that we push all the way onto the taxiway centreline before starting the second engine, all to avoid excessive jet blast.
That makes perfect sense - thanks to both of you (and to KARFA).
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

A wee query for BA crew from Stewie Mac

It was in another thread but thought it would be best posted here.

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I've been pre-allocated 25D on an upcoming A380 sector, and tempted to keep it (travelling alone). I normally go upper deck on the 380 as I prefer the smaller cabin (2-4-2 in WT rather than 3-4-3) but think that I'll keep 25D.... however, while I'm fine with having everything up in the overhead for taxi/takeoff/landing, am I okay to have my bag on the floor (and therefore the crew access hatch) during the flight?

ta
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: ASLEF
What is the maximum altitude/service ceiling of the 744?
G-BYGB that was meant to operate the BA192 DFW-LHR on 07/11/15 but sustained fanblade damage appears to have flown at 45,000ft for a portion of the flight while positioning back to LHR as BA9172.
Flightradar24 data.
Is it possible to fly at higher altitudes without the weight of passengers and their bags loaded?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrainDriverSparky
Is it possible to fly at higher altitudes without the weight of passengers and their bags loaded?
Yes, although 45,000 feet is pretty much it for a 747: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post25426754
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: ASLEF
Interesting. Thanks for the link.
I assume the benefits of being higher are that the air is thinner and therefore there is less air resistance/better fuel efficiency?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by TrainDriverSparky
Interesting. Thanks for the link.
I assume the benefits of being higher are that the air is thinner and therefore there is less air resistance/better fuel efficiency?
Fuel efficiency does improve at the higher levels yes. Although flying at a lower level than optimum for fuel purposes for a given a/c weight might give the benefit of avoiding headwinds or taking advantage of tailwinds.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:16 am

Max alt can also be limited by the fatigue caused by pressurising the hull. The greater the altitude the greater the differential pressure required to maintain a sensible cabin altitude. There may be a small difference but this over many cycles can add up. SH Airbus' are limited to 39000 as mentioned the 744 to 45000. With SH the advantages of climbing to the higher cruise levels is seldom enough to warrant the fuel to climb there.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:48 pm

I am hoping this question isn't too boring, but do any FA's know if the C.A.R.E.S. Amsafe harness can be used to fly on Premium Economy or Business Class seats on the YYZ to LHR route? Seems like the plane will be a Boeing 787-8 or 777 there and back if that helps?

And then even further on regionally from LHR to BSL? Then an Airbus319 there and back if that helps?

If not, then while my Clek Fllo car seat fits in width, I am worried it doesn't fit in the other dimension for both these flights of 17.5" by 17.5", which seems so small?

I do not want to check my car seat under any circumstances, but will I be able/allowed to fly with my 2 year old with just a lap belt if the C.A.R.E.S. harness doesn't work - I am guessing yes?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.