Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
So what do you do in a situation where a passenger gets out of their seat and says "Sorry, I HAVE to go"?

Reason I ask is that my blood pressure medication has a diuretic in it, so you need to go a lot more often than most people, and when you have to go you have to go.

What would you do if, when the seatbelt sign was still on, and you hadn't got the "dings" to indicate that it was okay for cabin crew to move around, a passenger all of a sudden got up and went to the loo? Would you insist that we pee on the cabin floor? (Rhetorical question, I know you won't insist on that, but that is the alternative to being strapped into a seat when needing to pee!)

Dave
If we as crew are not allowed to get up, the turbulence is going to be pretty rough. We want you to stay safe, which means staying in your seat with your seatbelt fastened. We cannot force you to stay there but I would tell you in no uncertain terms what could happen if you get up. Urine can be cleaned up, broken bones hurt far more.
We sometimes get strict instructions from the Captain that nobody is to get up. Not for any reason. In those circumstances I'd offer you an empty water bottle and an extra blanket. It's very primitive and not very dignified, but we must follow Captain's order. Sorry.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
On a given flight how is CC allocated to the different classes? Do CC tend to have strong preferences for a specific class and what are they?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
On the WW fleet it's seniority within grade.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
On the WW fleet it's seniority within grade.
But what are preferences? Some Y some F etc?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Calchas
As a pax I usually quite enjoy the turbulence. Although last time it might be because "Sorry sir we can't offer you that tea right now but I did pour you a glass of champagne if that will tide you over?"

Honestly you couldn't make it up
Maybe they were worried that the hot tea would jump and burn you?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by seaskybound
But what are preferences? Some Y some F etc?
Not all crew are trained to work in First. So, if there are only enough crew on the trip to staff the First cabin, then they must work in there. After that, it is done on seniority in grade, as stated.

Every crew member has a different idea of what/where is a good place to work on an aircraft, and that may be influenced by where other people chose to work before them such as particular CSLs if they decide to work in Traveller or First.

I rarely get a choice as I am junior and the majority of the time work in Club. I am lucky that I enjoy it and favour it much more over working in Traveller cabins.

I am not First trained, but have worked in the First cabin quite a few times when coming back from an out station to base and also help in there as and when needed, especially on short east coast to LHR flights where beds need to be put away and breakfasts cleared nearer to landing etc.

It is a subject that is very much a topic of debate on a regular basis.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:19 pm

On a given flight how is CC allocated to the different classes? Do CC tend to have strong preferences for a specific class and what are they?
First trained crew get allocated first, as sometimes they have to work in First if there are only 3 of them trained. It usually goes down the crew list, where the most senior gets to choose before others (does not include CM and Purser - they don't get a choice).

Some crew really enjoy working in WT/+ as it's less formal. Some prefer working in CW, some would have palpitations about working in any other cabin than F. Personally, I love working in F but often work in WT/+. My least favourite cabin is CW, purely because I find the service very bitty, where I have to ask each person what feels like a zillion questions before I can get them a cup of tea (turbulence permitting).
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Age has nothing to do with it, I am fit.
Can anyone confirm this?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Continuing on the turbulence theme - how often does major spills occur due to turbulence? That is really the only reason I'm personally afraid of turbulence - would hate to have my drink spilled in my lap because of it.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by agehall
Continuing on the turbulence theme - how often does major spills occur due to turbulence? That is really the only reason I'm personally afraid of turbulence - would hate to have my drink spilled in my lap because of it.
In over 8 years, I have never cleaned up a spillage due to turbulence

Due to people being clumsy or being a tad merry, multiple times. Again, turbulence, never.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by agehall
It does not happen often, but my father in law once came out of a flight where every passenger had their shirts and pants stained from their drinks. It was worse for the people drinking red wine.

In average turbulence the trick is to use your napkin to cover your glass. In major turbulence it would not really help. But, then, in major turbulence some people end up in the hospital so the drink spilled on your lap would seem like nothing.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Back a few years I have my drink hit the overhead locker and cover me in OJ on a flight from JER on a ATR due to turbulence the worst point was the screaming of the other PAX I felt sorry for the crew holding on for grim death and trying to calm and reassure the PAX they had no warning from the flight deck and were about their business.
John
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by thejohn
Back a few years I have my drink hit the overhead locker and cover me in OJ on a flight from JER on a ATR due to turbulence the worst point was the screaming of the other PAX I felt sorry for the crew holding on for grim death and trying to calm and reassure the PAX they had no warning from the flight deck and were about their business.
John
I LOVE turbulence. Unfortunately never had as much fun as that... best I had was crazy stuff in a regional AA jet into Baton Rouge
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I LOVE turbulence. Unfortunately never had as much fun as that... best I had was crazy stuff in a regional AA jet into Baton Rouge
I'm the same the rougher the better my wife on the otherhand is not keen
John
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Maybe they were worried that the hot tea would jump and burn you?
Aye, that's right---perfectly logical.

The amusing part was that they had already poured me a glass of champagne as an apology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.