Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Afternoon tea? It's an ambient snack these days for the second service even in WTP assuming same as JFK (IE a biscuit)
Sorry you're right. I didn't spot the WTP in the post by the OP .
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Afternoon tea? It's an ambient snack these days for the second service even in WTP assuming same as JFK (IE a biscuit)
So a large breakfast in the lounge and some kind of take away to supplement the "ambient snack" then.....
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Is that the same for the 1220 LHR-DXB departure? Lunch followed by a biscuit before landing?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by layz
What about standbys? Or are they only counted as checked in once they've been allocated a seat on the aircraft?
I hadn't considered Standby passengers - I'd guessed they'd be issued with a boarding pass to go airside, so that could help make up the numbers ... still interesting we've not got a definitive answer on it!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Standbys do get a sequence number, and at least pre-FLY, I'm fairly sure anyone who is offloaded and then checked back in, they get a new sequence number, which would also inflate the numbers.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I've offloaded and checked back in (changing seat after issuing BP due to aircraft change) and got the same seq number. Perhaps because it was all within a few minutes and no one else had checked in in the meantime?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
A noisy seal - is it worth reporting?

A couple of minutes after take-off in a 77W, a fairly loud noise started near the overwing exit that I was sitting next to. It was somewhere between a hum and a howl; it sounded a bit like a hydraulic system at work (eg for flaps), only louder. It stopped, then started again and continued for much longer than I've ever heard a hydraulic system run. Then it stopped, and came back for two or three shorter bursts before stopping entirely. (Which was merciful, considering there was still another 12½ hours of the flight to go.)

Later in the flight, I mentioned this to some of the cabin crew in the galley. One of them said, "Oh, it does that sometimes", agreed with me that it sounded like the door seal not properly seated, and then basically brushed it off as nothing.

I was a bit surprised by this, and was left wondering: Is it that trivial? Isn't this the sort of problem which could deteriorate, and eventually lead to a costly return after take-off so that it can be fixed? (Together with all the attendant risks of crew going out of hours etc.)

As it happens, one of the others later said to me that she had heard the noise and would report it anyway, just in case.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
BA Standby Policy- Change to earlier flight

Hi
We will soon be flying from BOS-LHR-EDI. We have a long layover in LHR. There is an earlier flight that we should be able to make assuming the BOS-LHR flight is on time.

Does BA allow you to move up to an earlier flight? Is it standby only?
There will be 2 of us in J class and I'm OW Sapphire if that means anything. I know with AA if you have status you can standby for an earlier flight at no charge.

What is BA's policy?
Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
What is BA's policy?
Policy is that if you want to change your flight, even on the same day, then you should pay the fare difference plus change fee required by your fare rules. Some fares allow same day changes for free, but I strongly suspect that yours is not one of them.

Here are a few recent threads on this subject:-
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Also if you have a checked bag there's almost zero chance. If you're HBO and you speak nicely to staff in the lounge there's a possibility (depending on aircraft loads), but I wouldn't be banking on it - definitely not the same setup as the airlines in the USA though!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't this the sort of problem which could deteriorate, and eventually lead to a costly return after take-off so that it can be fixed?
Yes, these seals can sometimes be the kind of thing that deteriorate, however there's any one if a number of reasons why a door seal can make a noise. Often, it's due to debris stuck around the door seal rather than a breakup of the seal itself. Exterior scuff plates also make a bit of a din quite often too.

if the crew have reported this in the log then it will get looked at. There is a department (my department in fact) that looks at trends on individual tails that are having frequent reports to ensure a more considered approach than just cleaning the seal out every time.

Things like this are difficult to replicate on the ground and the aircraft don't often get seen by the same engineers even at base so it's nescessary to have a technical team that oversees repetitive issues.

In response to the crew not being overly concerned, it's not that much of an issue all told and every tail experiences a noisy door now and then. The biggest issue with it is the noise in the cabin rather than anything to do with pressurisation. The pneumatic system is more than capable of coping.

Hope this was of interest. Unfortunately I'm now off for a while on my own travels otherwise I'd have offered to look into the particular tail in question to see what happened. I'll trust my colleagues to pick it up if it's an issue.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by alextheengineer
Yes, these seals can sometimes be the kind of thing that deteriorate, however there's any one if a number of reasons why a door seal can make a noise. Often, it's due to debris stuck around the door seal rather than a breakup of the seal itself. Exterior scuff plates also make a bit of a din quite often too.

if the crew have reported this in the log then it will get looked at. There is a department (my department in fact) that looks at trends on individual tails that are having frequent reports to ensure a more considered approach than just cleaning the seal out every time.

Things like this are difficult to replicate on the ground and the aircraft don't often get seen by the same engineers even at base so it's nescessary to have a technical team that oversees repetitive issues.

In response to the crew not being overly concerned, it's not that much of an issue all told and every tail experiences a noisy door now and then. The biggest issue with it is the noise in the cabin rather than anything to do with pressurisation. The pneumatic system is more than capable of coping.

Hope this was of interest. Unfortunately I'm now off for a while on my own travels otherwise I'd have offered to look into the particular tail in question to see what happened. I'll trust my colleagues to pick it up if it's an issue.
Thanks for the insight. Very interesting.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
A couple of minutes after take-off in a 77W, a fairly loud noise started near the overwing exit that I was sitting next to. It was somewhere between a hum and a howl; it sounded a bit like a hydraulic system at work (eg for flaps), only louder. It stopped, then started again and continued for much longer than I've ever heard a hydraulic system run. Then it stopped, and came back for two or three shorter bursts before stopping entirely. (Which was merciful, considering there was still another 12½ hours of the flight to go.)

Later in the flight, I mentioned this to some of the cabin crew in the galley. One of them said, "Oh, it does that sometimes", agreed with me that it sounded like the door seal not properly seated, and then basically brushed it off as nothing.

I was a bit surprised by this, and was left wondering: Is it that trivial? Isn't this the sort of problem which could deteriorate, and eventually lead to a costly return after take-off so that it can be fixed? (Together with all the attendant risks of crew going out of hours etc.)

As it happens, one of the others later said to me that she had heard the noise and would report it anyway, just in case.
Door seals do leak sometimes. As alexthe engineer mentioned it might be a deteriorating seal or debris or it might be that the seal did not go to its normal position and gets caught the wrong way in the door. Pressure usually pushes them back into position but not always - them you get the noise squeal. It used to happen more in days gone by on older aircraft when the solution was to put damp blue kitchen towel against the door which would plug the small leak. It wasnt for air loss reasons but to stop the noise which can be irritating.

All aircraft leak - it is a myth that they are airtight. The pressurisation system works on the principle of greater supply than leakage. Indeed they have to leak or have a controlled rate of air loss or the aircraft would blow up like balloons and pop. So while it is annoying it would be very unlikely to lead to an airborne return.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many thanks, alextheengineer and Waterhorse. It was indeed the noise that I was concerned about, not the air leakage. I don't think that any of us in the cabin would have been pleased if the door had been noisy like that all night. It would have been awful even on a day flight if it had gone on for 13 hours!

If the noise had continued and everyone was complaining, would that not have led to some consideration of an airborne return? Would we have just had to put up with it?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Indeed they have to leak or have a controlled rate of air loss or the aircraft would blow up like balloons and pop
Just curious : as the pressurisation ensures it's the warm cabin air leaking out, rather than the outside air leaking in, why do people report it's 'very cold' by the affected door ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.