Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by dkaplanpa
That's good. My wife likes it when I go on a late-night ice cream run for her.

But, it's really for me - to go downstairs and check out the rest of the big bird.
Good luck on getting ice cream on BA nowadays. It's been "enhanced".
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Love UD, especially on a half-full flight - feels so spacious

The IFE screens on the non-refurbed aircraft are really showing their age and are pretty dreadful quality, but the new tablet-style refurbs are excellent!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
The current winter timetable has a mixture of B777's and B789's on the later LHR>PHL service. It doesn't make a difference for the cabin crew as they are MF, but are all BA pilots cross-qualified on the B777 and B78x aircraft to avoid positioning crew a few times a week?

Pilot37
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
The current winter timetable has a mixture of B777's and B789's on the later LHR>PHL service. It doesn't make a difference for the cabin crew as they are MF, but are all BA pilots cross-qualified on the B777 and B78x aircraft to avoid positioning crew a few times a week?

Pilot37
No. BA feel that keeping 1500 pilots in recency on both fleets would be a nightmare. Training 1500 pilots even on short courses would cost millions as well.

There are some trainers who are cross qualified but only a few.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:18 am

They wouldn't position crew from the UK too often / if at all, the pilots trip may just be a night or two longer waiting for another appropriate flight to operate or they may possibly be swapping over with EWR flights
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it normal for BA pilots to hop between outstations? Say a BA pilot flies out to JFK, might she fly back from EWR or perhaps even from BOS? Or is that pretty unusual?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:05 pm

Location: Mainly East but sometimes South and occasionally West
Programs: BA Silver
I have never known that happen.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Admittedly it's been a very long time since I have flown on a 744 on BA but on my two flights last week I noticed that crew were wearing some sort of black BA branded plastic contraption on their button hole of their waist coat. Apologies for the poor description but was wondering what it is. I was thinking it might be to do with the galley but wasn't 100% sure.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Admittedly it's been a very long time since I have flown on a 744 on BA but on my two flights last week I noticed that crew were wearing some sort of black BA branded plastic contraption on their button hole of their waist coat. Apologies for the poor description but was wondering what it is. I was thinking it might be to do with the galley but wasn't 100% sure.
It sounds like the uniform torch.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Calchas
Is it normal for BA pilots to hop between outstations? Say a BA pilot flies out to JFK, might she fly back from EWR or perhaps even from BOS? Or is that pretty unusual?
This is only likely to happen during exceptional IRROps.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:16 am

I would be a first time flyer in CW probably UD in a 747 and my question is: do the crew know the revenue source of the ticket? Whether it is cash or miles? If I have no status, as a first timer on BA, does this matter? I am looking for a really nice flight experience for a "milestone birthday".
I would be flying from the east coast of USA and was told the UD of a 747 is nice. Feeder flight from PIT, not too many options. Also, would I have access to Arrivals lounge at Terminal 5 LHR?
I think I would have a choice of ORD, PHL, BOS, and JFK. All I am asking us for some advice.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes the crew will have the information if you are on a paid ticket, a ticket that is upgraded with miles or paid entirely with miles, do we care, not one bit.
What crew love it to look after customers and make them feel special so tell the them it's your first time and what you are celebrating.
You will have access to the arrival lounge, it closes at 14.00 but breakfast in only served until 12.30.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Yes the crew will have the information if you are on a paid ticket, a ticket that is upgraded with miles or paid entirely with miles, do we care, not one bit.
Do they see the fare (if paid) or cost of ticket?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by florens
Do they see the fare (if paid) or cost of ticket?
I have been asked how much I paid for a ticket when I was doing a Viking b2b. The person was genuinely astonished.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No, just if it is paid partly or entirely with Avios/Miles, as far as I'm concerned all tickets are paid for, free tickets are not free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.