Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Jonrross
Having recently flown CX and QF, they seemed to make a point of telling passengers to contact the crew if they lose their phone down the seat, and not to move their chair. Seems very sensible advise considering what can happen with Lithium batteries when punctured. I can't say I've heard this warning on BA. Is it an area cabin crew have much training in? What is procedure on BA if someone does damage a phone? Are fireproof pouches/bags carried onboard?
That message is always given on long haul, at least in First and Club.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We have been making an announcement about this for a couple of months now, our fire training includes our procedure for crushed phones and lithium battery fires.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
We have been making an announcement about this for a couple of months now, our fire training includes our procedure for crushed phones and lithium battery fires.
That probably explains why I haven't heard it, last few months have been CX, QF, MH. Thanks for the answer.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by jk156
On a related point - on SH Airbus fleet the exit signs illuminate (with an audible alert?) at a point very close to landing. Presumably there is an automatic trigger for this (like the double bong when entering the runway), but what is it?
They illuminate along with a bong upon gear down. The double bong pre-take-off is manual for imminent takeoff, the post takeoff bong is gear up and the lights turn off.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by BA6501
They illuminate along with a bong upon gear down. The double bong pre-take-off is manual for imminent takeoff, the post takeoff bong is gear up and the lights turn off.
Same on the A380. Exit signs and bongs when the gear goes down and bong and exit signs go out when they go up.

I like when the gear goes up and the lights go out... I like a dark cabin at night.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I've done a few flights with Sri Lankan Airlines in the last few weeks. Each time in the run up to landing, I noticed that after securing the cabin, the cabin crew make an announcement and remind everyone of the exits once more.

Does anyone know why Sri Lanlkan have chosen to do this, when other airlines (such as BA!) don't do a similar pre-landing exits reminder?
Canadian airlines do the same things. There is a Transport Canada regulation requiring a reminder of the exits on flights longer than 4 hours, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sri Lanka had something similar.

We also get reminded that the exit signs are green on certain aircraft. But that's just because we're special.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:22 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
deleted

Last edited by fransknorge; Oct 30, 2016 at 3:23 pm Reason: Stupid mobile app that does not load the last page
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Our pre landing announcement does say "pleases take a moment to remind yourself of the nearest exits", do Sri Lankan Airlines actual point out the exits?
The cabin crew go and stand where they would during pre-departure safety briefing, and point out the exits again as they're making the reminder announcement
Old Oct 31, 2016, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting but my opinion slightly over the top.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Perhaps over the top.

Topically, and more important may be reminding people that in the event of an evacuation, people should take nothing with them.

People often comply more readily when they understand why there is a rule rather than just what the rule is. Perhaps the safety video (although 5 minutes already), should spend 10 seconds explaining why this is important. It seems every emergency evaculation of late has video of people removing items from the lockers and walking on the tarmac with roller cases in tow.

I appreciate that in an emergency people may not act rationally, but if you are going to remind passengers of anything, this may be more pertinent.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:30 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find anything in searching.

I'm wondering what the logic is for running a A380 and 77W from both HKG and SIN so close together? Is there really the load to support both? Particularly HKG which doesn't continue onto Aus like SIN does.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Perhaps over the top.

Topically, and more important may be reminding people that in the event of an evacuation, people should take nothing with them.

People often comply more readily when they understand why there is a rule rather than just what the rule is. Perhaps the safety video (although 5 minutes already), should spend 10 seconds explaining why this is important. It seems every emergency evaculation of late has video of people removing items from the lockers and walking on the tarmac with roller cases in tow.

I appreciate that in an emergency people may not act rationally, but if you are going to remind passengers of anything, this may be more pertinent.
I agree with you about reminding passengers about not taking hand baggage off in a evaluation my point about it being over the top was regarding having crew members in the cabin pointing out the exits on landing.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The two LHR-HKG flights depart a couple hours apart, on the way back the first flight cannot depart earlier as it would get into LHR before the curfew ends. Regarding the second one there is no point sending it later (would you prefer leaving at midnight or 2am)?
There was a day flight back from HKG I believe but it performed very poorly.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by linzbh
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find anything in searching.

I'm wondering what the logic is for running a A380 and 77W from both HKG and SIN so close together? Is there really the load to support both? Particularly HKG which doesn't continue onto Aus like SIN does.
Not that long ago there were 3 daily 744s running to HKG, they all came back fairly close together. The 777/380combo gives capacity while freeing up a LH slot for another destination.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
And yes, there certainly is the demand for it...

Since going onto the A380, I have done more HKG and SIN flights than I care to remember, and they are always full. A could have had a smattering of empty seats, mainly in WT, but never more than 15-20 out of 300 on the A380, so pretty good load factor.

Not to say that the seat revenue would be amazing, we are not privy to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.